Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 04-20-2021, 06:02 AM   #61
rowe
Zealot
rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Hisense Hi Reader Pro, Boox Mira, Dasung Paperlike Colour
I ordered mine on Wednesday (when they said they still had 2 in stock and it would be despatched the next day). Just had this mail...

'thank you for your order and patience again. Before we dispatch the ordered Xiaomi Moaan InkPalm 5 I would like to inform you that the only OS language available is Chinese. Do you still want the Xiaomi Moaan InkPalm 5, do you want to change devices or should we cancel your order and refund you?'

I've gone ahead, will no doubt have some fun trying to set it up

Last edited by rowe; 04-20-2021 at 06:04 AM.
rowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 09:16 AM   #62
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Yes, @rowe, only set up that's tricky as long as Latin-Roman, Cyrillic, Greek, Hebrew and Arabic fonts work.
May need all the ebooks to have embedded fonts, or there might be a place to save extra system fonts?

It will interesting to read about your experience.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 02:19 PM   #63
positively4th
Enthusiast
positively4th ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.positively4th ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.positively4th ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.positively4th ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.positively4th ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.positively4th ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.positively4th ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.positively4th ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.positively4th ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.positively4th ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.positively4th ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Oasis, Xiaomi Inkpad X, Xiaomi Inkpalm 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by rowe View Post
I ordered mine on Wednesday (when they said they still had 2 in stock and it would be despatched the next day). Just had this mail...

'thank you for your order and patience again. Before we dispatch the ordered Xiaomi Moaan InkPalm 5 I would like to inform you that the only OS language available is Chinese. Do you still want the Xiaomi Moaan InkPalm 5, do you want to change devices or should we cancel your order and refund you?'

I've gone ahead, will no doubt have some fun trying to set it up
I got the same message and also went ahead with it. Here’s to hoping it all works out! I just want to get the US kindle app on it, couldn’t care less about the OS language.
positively4th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 01:24 AM   #64
Noobien
Enthusiast
Noobien ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noobien ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noobien ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noobien ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noobien ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noobien ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noobien ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noobien ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noobien ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noobien ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noobien ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
You may have some luck with the ADB commands and using smething like simple ink launcher.
Noobien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 07:47 PM   #65
rem736
purpose priority passion
rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350, b&n ngp, rM2, kindle scribe, boox poke5
Quote:
Originally Posted by positively4th View Post
I got the same message and also went ahead with it. Here’s to hoping it all works out! I just want to get the US kindle app on it, couldn’t care less about the OS language.
i think you are mistaken. by "OS language" i believe they mean the interface/navigation, not the programming language behind the device.

that is, unless you read chinese.
rem736 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 09:39 PM   #66
Owl_
Enthusiastic reader
Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paperwhite3, Kobo aura one, kobo touch 2.0, Kobo Clara HD,Poke2
The OS is Android, then the language issue can be solved installing KOreader
Owl_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2021, 04:26 AM   #67
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox 4/14, Like-/Meebook 1/8, Tolino 1/10, Kobo 0/5, Kindle 0/3
Here you can see the unpacking and the first impression.
The screen is not matte, it is reflective - nothing for me.
ottischwenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2021, 09:01 AM   #68
rowe
Zealot
rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Interesting, the Cect listing says the anti-glare film is factory applied. Seems not at least on the good ereader one.

On the Hisense A5 the film was pre-applied, but it was almost irrelevant as the A5 has terrible ghosting under direct sunlight (on mine at least). And I suspect poor sharpness on the A5 is as much to do with the surface layers as a DPI that's a little less than most modern readers.

If given the option between glossy/matte, I'd prefer matte. But glossy does usually have darker blacks and seems sharper.

The best screens IMO use glass-like surfaces that are micro-etched to get the best of both worlds. I think the Kindle Voyage had this, and it's still the best e-reader screen we've ever had the opportunity to buy. Unfortunately this seems to be rarely used in screen manufacturing due to cost (it's a £300 option on iMacs).

Last edited by rowe; 04-27-2021 at 09:26 AM.
Old 04-29-2021, 11:14 AM   #69
MikeOsborn
MikeOsborn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOsborn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOsborn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOsborn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOsborn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOsborn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOsborn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOsborn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOsborn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOsborn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOsborn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle gen10
Smile

his is great news, thank you! I so owe this. Who else follows the news of technological innovations?
MikeOsborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 01:58 PM   #70
enlightened_j
enlightened_j ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enlightened_j ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enlightened_j ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enlightened_j ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enlightened_j ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enlightened_j ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enlightened_j ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enlightened_j ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enlightened_j ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enlightened_j ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enlightened_j ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe, Kindle Oasis, Xiami InkPalm 5
Received my order from JD.com. Can’t wait to play with it after work. Side by side comparison with iPhone mini.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	6001DC43-1D59-4882-8B3E-D12B0B26DC9D.jpeg
Views:	432
Size:	271.0 KB
ID:	186842   Click image for larger version

Name:	C75EA5CE-7A05-469E-A802-850E125364DE.jpeg
Views:	489
Size:	358.6 KB
ID:	186843  

Last edited by enlightened_j; 04-29-2021 at 02:01 PM.
enlightened_j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 02:05 PM   #71
binaryhermit
Grand Sorcerer
binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW4, Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
I'm curious what the dimensions are, particularly the height and width, or a comparison photo with the Pixel 3a or Pixel 4a

EDIT: Its product page on a certain good(sic) site suggests it's 143.5mmx76.6mmx6.9mm.

Last edited by binaryhermit; 04-29-2021 at 02:09 PM.
binaryhermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2021, 11:00 AM   #72
enlightened_j
enlightened_j ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enlightened_j ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enlightened_j ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enlightened_j ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enlightened_j ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enlightened_j ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enlightened_j ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enlightened_j ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enlightened_j ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enlightened_j ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enlightened_j ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe, Kindle Oasis, Xiami InkPalm 5
The experience has been pretty good so far. So far have tried simple ink launcher, koreader, moonreader, a music app, and a podcast app and all installed fine using build-in file manager. I did have to dig around to allow apps to run in the background without being killed.

The downside is that even though the system language can be changed to English using adb, build-in apps shows only simplified Chinese. The "Setting" app crashes if launched from simple ink launcher (will be in English) but then crashes every time when I try go into app settings.
enlightened_j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2021, 12:11 PM   #73
rowe
Zealot

Got mine this afternoon, good first impressions here too.

The main things I wanted this to be compared to a Hisense A5 (which I've had for a while and read at least a book a week on):
- Lighter
- Smaller
- Sharper text
- Warmer light
- Dimmer lowest light setting
^ it does all of these things

---

My setup so far...

First I installed Amazon Appstore from the built in browser (it has an English keyboard selection).

From there I installed Moonreader Pro, but MRP was in Chinese.

So then I went through steps 1-3 on here using my Mac. Moonreader (and parts of the OS) and now in English.

That's all I need, but I'll probably tinker with it a bit more.

The screen is quite shiny, and I haven't applied the screen protector as I never like them. I'll see how that goes, I could never use the A5 in direct sunlight anyway as the screen ghosting went into overdrive.

Last edited by rowe; 04-30-2021 at 12:23 PM.
Old 04-30-2021, 01:36 PM   #74
ouya
ouya began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Thanks for these updates. I’ve been watching eagerly for the deliveries to arrive to see what the first impressions are.

Just ordered one ��
ouya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2021, 01:37 PM   #75
ouya
ouya began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Thanks for the updates. I’ve been waiting eagerly for your orders to arrive and get the first impressions.

Just ordered one ��
ouya is offline   Reply With Quote