Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 07-25-2009, 03:35 PM   #1
docinabox
docinabox is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle 2, Treo 755p
another new member

Hello all! Just joined a few moments ago. I am still deciding which e-reader to purchase. I am leaning heavily toward the Sony 505 at the moment, mainly because of what I have read here. The Kindle doesn't sound all that bad either. I own a Palm Treo and have read some material on that but it is way too small to be my every day reader.
docinabox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 03:42 PM   #2
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Howdy, docinabox!

Welcome to Mobileread!
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-25-2009, 04:04 PM   #3
ruth1304
Addict
ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Waiting for a kindle!
Hi docinabox, good luck with your decision. There's almost too much information here, and it can sometimes feel that you'll never be able to choose, but I'm sure you'll be happy with whatever you end up with.

I love my 505 - it's good for reading, and I use it every day. I definitely read more now I have a reader, because it's so portable and there are so many books freely available on Mobile Read.
ruth1304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 04:36 PM   #4
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Hi docinabox and welcome to MobileRead. Check the News section as Sony appears to be getting ready to do something; either introduce new models or get out of the eBook business altogether https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=51745

Last edited by MickeyC; 07-25-2009 at 05:09 PM.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 11:37 PM   #5
kazbates
Wizard
kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SurfacePro, SurfaceBook 2
Welcome to MobileRead, docinabox!

As cassidym has already told you, there has been a lot of grumblings about changes going on at Sony. If you don't have to have the "latest and greatest", this would probably be a good time to get a great deal on the Sony505. I have the 700 and am extremely happy with it. Good luck with your decision.

Happy Reading!
kazbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-26-2009, 03:10 PM   #6
docinabox

Thanks everyone! I thought I had done my homework but had no clue about Sony discontinuing anything. Maybe I will bide my time a while longer
Old 07-26-2009, 05:42 PM   #7
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Hello and welcome! If you have a Borders near you, if you go today every $50 you spend you get $5 in Borders bucks. Usually it's every $150. I think I saw the 505s on sale too, but I'm not sure. The 700 dropped to $349.

Whatever you choose, I hope you love it! I love my 505!
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 09:12 PM   #8
kazbates
Wizard
kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by docinabox View Post
Thanks everyone! I thought I had done my homework but had no clue about Sony discontinuing anything. Maybe I will bide my time a while longer
It's kind of taken us all by surprise and we have members keep track of these things! Keep following this thread for the latest news. It makes for some interesting reading.
Old 07-27-2009, 12:32 AM   #9
Journier
Groupie
Journier has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Journier has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Journier has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Journier has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Journier has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Welcome doc in a box. I have a 505 and a 700 as well as a jetbook. I find myself using the 505 more often than the 700. But, if I can get something as a text doc or convert it I use my jet book. Look forward to seeing you around here in the future as I satisfy my addiction for mr.
Richard
Journier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 12:36 AM   #10
Verencat
Wizard
Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.

Device: xxx
Welcome to Mobile Read, Docinabox! I hope you find the perfect reader for you!
Verencat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 09:43 AM   #11
Lady Blue
the snarky blue one
Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS500, 505 & 600, PRST1 & T2, Kindle PW, Moto Razr, Galaxy Tab 2-10"
Hello docinabox, and Click image for larger version

Name:	welcome sign2.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	8.6 KB
ID:	33033 to Mobileread.
Lady Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 09:56 PM   #12
Sweetie
Sweetie began at the beginning.

Device: iPod Touch
Hi
Sweetie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 11:15 PM   #13
Wetdogeared
Storm Surge'n
Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: S0ny PRS-300/350/505/700/T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetie View Post
Hi
Hi Sweetie (I couldn't resist, that just sounds too cute!), and welcome to MobileRead.

You can start your own thread in this "Introduce Yourself" forum and let us know what you like to read.

If you have any questions, just ask and participate in any forum you like.

WetDogEared.
Wetdogeared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 12:12 AM   #14
docinabox

thanks again, everyone; there is a Borders right down the road and they are currently out of the Sony ereader. I even went to their web site and could not find one for sale

docinabox
Old 07-30-2009, 09:59 AM   #15
kazbates
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by docinabox View Post
thanks again, everyone; there is a Borders right down the road and they are currently out of the Sony ereader. I even went to their web site and could not find one for sale

docinabox
Try ordering from an online site. I know Sony still has some available. Remember, anything new they come out with will probably have a hefty price tag initially.