Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 01-29-2009, 12:53 PM   #1
shadowwolf36
Enthusiast
shadowwolf36 has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Sony Digital
Newbie Calibre user

I am not the most highly computer literate person I know but I seem to be having a problem converting .lit files to .lrf.
I keep getting the following message:

attempt to write a readonly database RemoteTraceback (most recent call last): File "calibre\library\sqlite.pyo", line 80, in run OperationalError: attempt to write a readonly database
Detailed traceback:
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "main.py", line 671, in add_books
File "main.py", line 714, in _add_books
File "calibre\gui2\library.pyo", line 186, in add_books
File "calibre\library\database2.pyo", line 1137, in add_books
File "calibre\library\sqlite.pyo", line 107, in run
DatabaseException: attempt to write a readonly database
RemoteTraceback (most recent call last):
File "calibre\library\sqlite.pyo", line 80, in run
OperationalError: attempt to write a readonly database

I have converted one file successfully and all others give me this error message. I have tried removing it and re-installing it as well as rebooting my computer with no luck!! I have all the PDF files of these books but prefer LRF files. I will keep searching through these archives in case there is a fix that I am missing.
shadowwolf36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 01:01 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Your database file seems to have become read only. Full quit calibre (i.e. from the system tray aas well) Locate and delete the file metadata.db (it will be in the folder you selected for your library). Then restart calibre. (Note that by deleteing metadata.db you will lose any books in your calibre library.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-29-2009, 02:40 PM   #3
shadowwolf36
Enthusiast

Thank you -- worked like a charm....how does that happen (become read only I mean) -- it happened again later on as well.
Old 01-29-2009, 02:51 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Hmm, no idea. What folder have you selected for your library?
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 07:31 AM   #5
shadowwolf36
Enthusiast

Actually dingbat that I am didn't choose a library so it goes in the Calibre program file but THEN I have been moving them (drop and drag) into my sd disk for later reading so perhaps the drop and drag is the problem.
Advert
Old 01-30-2009, 07:58 AM   #6
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
If you are using Vista (and I think possible XP+SP3) then the Program Files folder is normally set to be read-only. Therefore if you are storing your Calibre library at that location it is almost certainly the cause of your problem.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote