Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 07-05-2013, 04:31 PM   #1
Tara198
Tara198 began at the beginning.

Device: none
HELP from Pagebreak !! Smashword

So i sat down today to format a .docx document. I had read in some website that the best way to format for smashword is to create new styles and format with them. I did. Saved it as 'web page, filter'. Converted it in the Calibre to epub, it seemed satisfactory. Then I converted that epub into RTF and the problem began.

Why does my rtf has a pagebreak at the top of the document? Right over the title !
That never happened before. I even deleted all the styles i created and still whenever I covert an RTF from EPUB there is that offending pagebreak at the top !

(If it helps to know, as advised by the website, I had had included every other pagebreak with the Chapter style I made new for the Chapters.)

Where did I go wrong? I would like that top pagebreak to leave my word document/ RTF as it were.

Help, plz.
That pagebreak actually comes after '....and a pilcrow'
Tara198 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 11:05 PM   #2
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
First off, ditch docx, and only work in doc.

Second why did you covert from Docx->web page->epub->rtf? Word could say right to RTF if that was your goal. The more steps in your conversion the worse off you are.

What is your goal here? What are you trying to do?
VydorScope is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-06-2013, 10:01 AM   #3
Tara198

HELP from Pagebreak

Thanks for replying.
Actually someone said the best way to convert to an epub from calibre is to turn your .doc to an html (with webpage filter) then take that zip file and change it into epub. Done.

And it seemed to work.
As for RTF. I was just curious how it would look. I had turned many smashword epub files from calibre to RTF and none had that pagebreak at the top. Neither did mine, BEFORE I adopted that new styles advice. It's AFTER those styles that my EPUBS after conversion show RTF with pagebreak at the top , and it's really bugging me. I want to know what I did wrong. And how can I have my RTF files free from that one pagebreak.
Can anyone nice shed some light on this prob?
Old 07-06-2013, 10:27 AM   #4
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Since your problem is with the Calibre output, you might find expert help down in the Calibre sub forum here. I use Scrivener as my tool to go from WORD->EPUB and clean up in Sigil (Typically none is need, but I finalize in there). I only use Calibre as my EBook repository.
VydorScope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 06:22 PM   #5
Tara198

HELP from pagebreak

You mean this isn't a Word problem?

Well, thanks for the tip. I may put this question there.
Advert