Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 11-19-2012, 07:37 PM   #1
freespeechuser
Member Retired
freespeechuser began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
Alternatives to calibre?

I share the desire for some alternative to Calibre.

I admire the developers, the rate at which they keep the application churning, and the features they've managed to support, but…

As OS X applications go, it is without doubt one of the ugliest, most cumbersome interfaces I've ever seen. Bizarre as it is byzantine, there's no getting around the fact that Calibre is just plain hideous.
freespeechuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 08:05 PM   #2
oj829
Groupie
oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo, Kobo Arc(32GB), Kobo Arc 7HD, Kobo Glo HD,NookHD
When I started using Calibre out of necessity, I found it to be a lot of what its detractors say - counterintuitive, ugly, hard to manage.

Three things happened, though.

1. KG improved it a LOT (around version 6 or 7?)
2. Necessity. There IS no other game in town for book management.
3. I decided, that, being 40+, I'd adjust to what I could not learn.
4. Third parties wrote awesome, essential plugins.
5. KG went all gui. It became obsolete to worry about python installations and scripts.
6. I use devices that can deal with titles being plopped on their storage from Windows explorer. When I wanna read, I export from calibre into one of my Desktop folders (Books4Kobo, Books4Nook, Books4Archos)

Okay, so six things happened. I'm a reader, not a mathematician.

What I'm saying is: Give Calibre 0.9x a fresh spin with a fresh mind. Yeah, it had growing pains. So did I.

Last edited by oj829; 11-19-2012 at 08:06 PM. Reason: spelling
oj829 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-19-2012, 09:43 PM   #3
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Welcome to Mobileread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by commiepinkofag View Post
I share the desire for some alternative to Calibre.
Moderator Notice
Moved posts to their own thread. The initial thread is almost a year old and there is no reason to bring that thread back from the dead.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 09:51 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I find Calibre to be very good and the interface is not ugly. Besides, you'll just have to get used to it. There is no alternative.

Last edited by JSWolf; 11-21-2012 at 03:41 AM. Reason: typo correction
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 10:39 PM   #5
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
I'm with JSWolf, I love the Calibre interface, especially the way the book covers flip across the black background, fantastic looking. And the way it organizes my library and sideloads to my reader just can't be beat.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-20-2012, 07:18 AM   #6
Zetmolm
Guru
Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook Touch (622), PocketBook Touch Lux 2, Pocketbook Touch HD 3
And of course there are lots of options to modify the look and feel. If you don't like it, change it!
Zetmolm is offline   Reply With Quote