Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-19-2012, 03:15 AM   #1
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, iPad Pro 10", iPhone 15 Pro
Strange Behavior from New KDX

I saw that Staples was clearing out their DX model kindles, so ran and got the very last one anywhere within ~100 miles from here, which was 60 miles away, and luckily in a place where I was already planning to be. Got the very last one. $130, new, in an unopened box!

So... now I have a DX for reading my papers and PDF files on, so I'm very happy.

When I got it, it was COMPLETELY dead -- wouldn't come on (was probably sitting on the shelf so long that the pre-charge was gone). Charged for a while, then a screen came up saying that it was dead, to charge it, so I waited a while longer, then it finally came on.

So, I went to register it... I enter my e-mail and password, nothing... no error, nothing, just right back to the settings screen. So, I try again... nothing. Reboot, try again, nothing... after about five tries I finally gave up and called Kindle support. Then, just as they answer it comes up and says "Gilbert's Kindle". Problem is, my name isn't Gilbert!

The Kindle support person basically just had me deregister it, then they re-registered it on their side to me and about 20 seconds later it came up with my info. But, it makes me wonder... how does a store bought sealed box Kindle come up with somebody else's name after you register it five times? Is this a known bug? Scary bug, if it is! I'm wondering if somebody purchased it from Amazon pre-registered and returned it to Staples... they may have assumed that they're all the same and decided not to wait for it to ship, purchased one from the store, and returned the one from Amazon...

Anyhow, Amazon quickly re-registered it to me, so all is well, and $130 isn't a bad deal!
twowheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 03:35 AM   #2
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
I saw that Staples was clearing out their DX model kindles, so ran and got the very last one anywhere within ~100 miles from here, which was 60 miles away, and luckily in a place where I was already planning to be. Got the very last one. $130, new, in an unopened box!

So... now I have a DX for reading my papers and PDF files on, so I'm very happy.

When I got it, it was COMPLETELY dead -- wouldn't come on (was probably sitting on the shelf so long that the pre-charge was gone). Charged for a while, then a screen came up saying that it was dead, to charge it, so I waited a while longer, then it finally came on.

So, I went to register it... I enter my e-mail and password, nothing... no error, nothing, just right back to the settings screen. So, I try again... nothing. Reboot, try again, nothing... after about five tries I finally gave up and called Kindle support. Then, just as they answer it comes up and says "Gilbert's Kindle". Problem is, my name isn't Gilbert!

The Kindle support person basically just had me deregister it, then they re-registered it on their side to me and about 20 seconds later it came up with my info. But, it makes me wonder... how does a store bought sealed box Kindle come up with somebody else's name after you register it five times? Is this a known bug? Scary bug, if it is! I'm wondering if somebody purchased it from Amazon pre-registered and returned it to Staples... they may have assumed that they're all the same and decided not to wait for it to ship, purchased one from the store, and returned the one from Amazon...

Anyhow, Amazon quickly re-registered it to me, so all is well, and $130 isn't a bad deal!
Sounds to me someone bought it at the store, use it then returned it and didn't do a factory reset. If I was you I would perform one and if you keep having issues call Kindle support for a replacement.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-19-2012, 03:48 AM   #3
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, iPad Pro 10", iPhone 15 Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
Sounds to me someone bought it at the store, use it then returned it and didn't do a factory reset. If I was you I would perform one and if you keep having issues call Kindle support for a replacement.
How could that be, though? The box was sealed - their boxes have a quick rip opening, which is nice, but non-reversible.
twowheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 03:57 AM   #4
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
How could that be, though? The box was sealed - their boxes have a quick rip opening, which is nice, but non-reversible.
Then a couple of scenarios. It could of been bought at the store and register without opening. Does retail packaging have the serial on the side like Amazon's boxes does? Or your first guess is correct. When you buy a Kindle through Amazon it comes registered. You even get a email telling you if it's meant to be a gift to registered it from your account. We may never know but if you have any more issues let Amazon know. They are great in making sure you are happy! I had to replace a K4 and a Kindle Fire and the next day after I called I had my replacement.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote