Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 10-22-2011, 10:06 AM   #1
Ababakar
Ababakar began at the beginning.

Device: none
Data of costom fields not copied to other libary

Just found out about a problem - or bug maybe.

I use 4 librarys - all the same structure - 2 each for comics and books.
2 are stored on my network drive - the main librarys
2 are stored on my local drive - where i add new books and edit them. And once a month (or so) i copy them to the network drive. Which i did right now for the first time (as the network drive is new and i stored everything on my pc before).
So - i got a custom field where i enter the edition of a book (i also choosed to delete the files after copying).
Problem after copying - the custom field for the edition is empty when i switch to the network library. Which sucks

Can anyone confirm this?? Would be great if this wouldn't happen.
Great software anyway!!!
Ababakar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 06:11 PM   #2
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
How do you copy these books? Are you using the Calibre facilities or copying between libraries, or are you doing it outside Calibre?
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-23-2011, 06:42 AM   #3
Ababakar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ababakar View Post
i also choosed to delete the files after copying
Of course i'm using calibre for doing so. With - as quoted - deleting them after the copy is finished.
Old 10-23-2011, 06:50 AM   #4
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Of course i'm using calibre for doing so. With - as quoted - deleting them after the copy is finished.
Either you have uncovered a bug or require a new feature that includes custom columns, either way try submitting a ticket so it might be investigated further.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 07:06 AM   #5
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Using copy to library does copy a custom field as long as:
- a new book is created in the destination library,
- the same column lookup name exists in the destination library,
- the columns' type and multiplicity are identical.
This happens whether or not you use delete after copy. I just tested it with every type of custom field and it works.

Note that metadata is copied only if a new book is created. If you have automerge turned on, if a book already exists in the other library, and if your automerge options are to merge formats, then a new book is not created.

Last edited by chaley; 10-23-2011 at 07:42 AM.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-23-2011, 07:12 AM   #6
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Thanks for clearing that up.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 11:11 AM   #7
Ababakar

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
Using copy to library does copy a custom field as long as:
- a new book is created in the destination library,
Check - else it would not be available in the destination library
Quote:
- the same column lookup name exists in the destination library,
Check - as i copied the structure when creating a new library
Quote:
- the columns' type and multiplicity are identical.
Check - see above
Quote:
I just tested it with every type of custom field and it works.
I just tested it again and again several times (also with a new totally empty library (with copied structure) the (custom metadata) edition field is not copied -
column type is "text, column shown in the tag browser".
also in Preferences -> Adding Books "Automerge added books..." is not checked.

So - a new book is created, automerge is turned off, the book doesn't exist in any other library.
At least for me it shouldn't be one of these reasons.
Old 10-23-2011, 11:36 AM   #8
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The problem is not in the copy command, it is in the copy structure option. All "Text, show in tags browser" columns are created in the new library as "Text, like tags, show in tags browser". I will fix that.

Work-around: in the new library, delete the edition column and recreate it with the correct type. Actually, this isn't a work-around, because you will need to do this for existing libraries even after the copy structure change is released.

Last edited by chaley; 10-23-2011 at 12:12 PM.
Old 10-23-2011, 12:34 PM   #9
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

The fix for the copy structure option is in the 'trunk' source and will be in the next release.
Old 11-02-2011, 06:57 AM   #10
Ababakar

i was away for some time - so as i'm currently downloading the 0.8.24 (don't know if this is already the trunk you spoke about) it may work already.
so it was a small bug after all
Thanks for your help!!
Old 01-19-2012, 06:31 AM   #11
Ababakar

Just tried again after i haven't updated for some time.
So now wuth the 0.8.35 it still isn't woking.

Tried to copy a book from library a to b - but after copying the custom field for edition was empty.

Is it still in the trunk? Or what version is meant by next release? The next official? I can wait. But would be nice to know.
Old 01-19-2012, 06:44 AM   #12
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Just tried again after i haven't updated for some time.
So now wuth the 0.8.35 it still isn't woking.

Tried to copy a book from library a to b - but after copying the custom field for edition was empty.

Is it still in the trunk? Or what version is meant by next release? The next official? I can wait. But would be nice to know.
The change was released some time ago. I just tried it by creating a new library and copying a book, and the change is there and works.

Note that if you are copying to a library that was created before the change, then the types of the custom columns will not match. As I said earlier:
Work-around: in the new library, delete the edition column and recreate it with the correct type. Actually, this isn't a work-around, because you will need to do this for existing libraries even after the copy structure change is released.
Did you either change the column type or recreate the new library with the latest version?