Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 01-07-2018, 05:33 AM   #1
wallbreaker
wallbreaker began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4;PW3
Exclamation NEED HELP! Serial Number issue - eMMC replaced?

I need help with the serial number.

The thing is my PW3 recently bricked and I sent it to a guy who could repair it.
The problem is that when I got it back and I surprisingly found my PW3's serial number was changed and lost 3G capability. (Only emmc memory was replaced according to the guy.)

I would like to change the serial number back. Can anyone help me?

Last edited by wallbreaker; 01-07-2018 at 05:42 AM.
wallbreaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 05:36 AM   #2
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
You can't.

Clearly the guy who repaired it either swapped it for a different Kindle, or put in a different motherboard. And replaced your 3G one with a Wifi-only one.

I'd go back to the repair place and ask which it is, and get that sorted.

But if your motherboard was toast, there's no way you'll be able to get back your old serial number.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 05:40 AM   #3
wallbreaker

Only emmc memory was replaced according to the guy.
Old 01-07-2018, 10:17 AM   #4
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
That's the equivalent of the disk drive. I thought the serial number was elsewhere, but the 3G loss might just be because of having the wrong firmware.

I'm going to move this thread to the kindle developement forum, as people there might be able to help with more detailed info.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 10:59 AM   #5
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallbreaker View Post
Only emmc memory was replaced according to the guy.
All of the device specific and owner specific data is stored on the eMMC chip.
And that information needs to be moved to the replacement eMMC chip (or replacement motherboard).

Yes, you do need help, but you do not need our help.
Take it back, get the "repair guy" to do the job correctly or replace the device that he ruined.

Note:
You can tell if only the eMMC chip was replaced or the entire motherboard was replaced by the amount the person charged for the work.
Replace the mb - that requires a screw driver and about 30 minutes of time to do the work.
In that case the price paid is low.

Replace the eMMC - that requires very special (expensive) equipment and a highly skilled person in the specialized field of SMD board re-work.
In this case, the price paid will be more than the cost of a new PW3 (these devices are too cheap to make hired SMD board re-work practical).
The labor time, specialized training and knowledge, specialized equipment - none of that comes for free - the "repair guy" has to recover his costs.

Last edited by knc1; 01-07-2018 at 11:21 AM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 12:46 PM   #6
theol0403
Enthusiast
theol0403 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!theol0403 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!theol0403 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!theol0403 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!theol0403 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!theol0403 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!theol0403 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!theol0403 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!theol0403 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!theol0403 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!theol0403 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Device: Kindle PW3
I thought you could change the serial in diags. I could be wrong though.
theol0403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 01:17 PM   #7
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by theol0403 View Post
I thought you could change the serial in diags. I could be wrong though.
You can set all the device specific information using the idme command.
Of course, you have to know what to set all of them to.

The poster evidently knows the serial number the device should have, since s/he posts that it is now different.
But no clue is given by the poster if s/he recorded the other device specific values.

The poster really, really needs to send it back to that "repair guy" to complete the job properly.
Only the "repair guy" has complete knowledge of what was done and how to complete the job from that point.

Last edited by knc1; 01-08-2018 at 01:21 PM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 10:35 PM   #8
wallbreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
You can set all the device specific information using the idme command.
Of course, you have to know what to set all of them to.

The poster evidently knows the serial number the device should have, since s/he posts that it is now different.
But no clue is given by the poster if s/he recorded the other device specific values.

The poster really, really needs to send it back to that "repair guy" to complete the job properly.
Only the "repair guy" has complete knowledge of what was done and how to complete the job from that point.
I don't think the "repair guy" has complete knowledge. Guess I have to complete it on my own.

If I want to use idme serial XXXX command, I need to use the idme command which needs Kindle enters diags mode by using https://www.mobileread.com/forums/s...t=169645, right?

Any idea?

Last edited by wallbreaker; 01-09-2018 at 08:23 AM.
Old 01-09-2018, 10:08 AM   #9
wallbreaker

ANYONE?
Old 01-09-2018, 10:30 AM   #10
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
ANYONE?
Take it back to the expert that broke it.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 01:29 AM   #11
theol0403
Enthusiast
theol0403 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!theol0403 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!theol0403 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!theol0403 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!theol0403 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!theol0403 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!theol0403 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!theol0403 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!theol0403 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!theol0403 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!theol0403 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Device: Kindle PW3
Quote:
I don't think the "repair guy" has complete knowledge. Guess I have to complete it on my own.

If I want to use idme serial XXXX command, I need to use the idme command which needs Kindle enters diags mode by using https://www.mobileread.com/forums/s...t=169645, right?

Any idea?
That method is really only useful for getting out of diags.
If you install rp (Resque Pack), it should let you get access to the diags ssh.
Make sure you have the lastest rp for your firmware.
Good luck.
theol0403 is offline   Reply With Quote