Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-20-2007, 12:46 AM   #1
sorbix
sorbix began at the beginning.

Kindle books and other e-book readers

Ok, so I really wanted an iRex iliad, but the Kindle has made me reconsider. The main reason why the Kindle is so appealing is that it can potentially have a large volume of books specifically for the device.

What I want to know is whether anyone predicts the Kindle proprietary storage and delivery system to be cracked so I can buy their ebooks and read them on the iliad.

It is absurd that this is even necessary... I am extremely mad at Amazon for requiring a Kindle to buy their ebooks.

Last edited by sorbix; 11-20-2007 at 12:50 AM.
sorbix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 01:08 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Then voice your anger. Buy the paper copies from other retailers, get the cracked versions from the darknet and read 'em on the device of your choice. Don't encourage people to work around Amazon DRM, that just lets them get away with having their DRM cake and eating it too.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 01:11 AM   #3
FixB
Groupie
FixB has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.FixB has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.FixB has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.FixB has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.FixB has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS500
Even more : buy your books from stores without any DRMs (I like Baen )
FixB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 01:32 AM   #4
sorbix
sorbix began at the beginning.

Well, I am mostly frustrated because Amazon has the potential to offer many more ebooks than other retailers... and I would like to read them! the books from "alternative sources" don't tend to be formatted or translated into ebook format efficiently or successfully.
sorbix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 10:56 AM   #5
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by sorbix View Post
Well, I am mostly frustrated because Amazon has the potential to offer many more ebooks than other retailers... and I would like to read them!
It would only make sense that once the publisher goes to the trouble of creating the ebook that it'll be made available in other formats too. Pretty much all the big publishers have already said there are no plans for Kindle exclusive books so don't you think with Amazon pushing publishers to get things out all the other formats will benefit as well. You may not get the same price on bestsellers if you buy them in Mobi format for the Iliad, but with Amazon behind ebooks in general the whole catalog available to everyone should grow.

People seem to be making a big deal about the 88,000, or whatever the number is now, Kindle books but how many are books you'd ever want? How many are actually short stories or specialty books/documents that most folks will have no use for? I haven't looked so I'm not sure, but I'd bet a bunch are and are just helping pad the numbers or available titles.

I know some folks are pissed because they want the same $9.99 bestsellers deal for their device of choice. Also some are pissed because it's a US only device at this point. Amazon is subsidizing the low price of those $9.99 books as an enticement to sell the Kindle so of course they aren't going to be available to any other device.

As for the US only thing, hopefully that will change but as Amazon is a bookseller I'm sure they had to offer some assurances to publishers in other countries that the books wouldn't be able to usurp sales of locally published editions or it would hurt Amazon's existing pbook relationships. How many publishing houses in the UK or Canada or Germany or elsewhere even do ebooks? I've looked for some UK ebooks of a few books I want not available in the US & found none available. It would be easy if the publishing market was global, but with all the local divisions & fiefdoms out there it's not and publishing rights are separate for a lot of those areas. In order to release a device in other markets & keep those publishers happy the books have to first be available in those markets to sell. This isn't a problem for iRex or Bookeen because all they sell are devices, but for a company that's already one of the largest booksellers out there it has to play a part in their decisions.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 12:08 PM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Quote:
Originally Posted by sorbix View Post
Well, I am mostly frustrated because Amazon has the potential to offer many more ebooks than other retailers... and I would like to read them! the books from "alternative sources" don't tend to be formatted or translated into ebook format efficiently or successfully.
I agree, it's why so many of us are pissed with Amazon.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 01:14 PM   #7
wmaurer
Enthusiast
wmaurer doesn't litterwmaurer doesn't litter

Device: Nook Simple Touch, HTC Desire
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
It would only make sense that once the publisher goes to the trouble of creating the ebook that it'll be made available in other formats too.
It makes sense, but will it eventuate? I already have two examples of books that are available as Kindle Editions, and upon asking them, Mobipocket have responded that the publishers will not be making the available to sell on their site.

-Wayne
wmaurer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 01:24 PM   #8
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmaurer View Post
It makes sense, but will it eventuate? I already have two examples of books that are available as Kindle Editions, and upon asking them, Mobipocket have responded that the publishers will not be making the available to sell on their site.
We'll just have to wait & see I suppose. Are these from one of the bigger publishers or a small house? Pretty much all the big guys have said they have no plans to offer exclusives to Amazon.
Old 11-20-2007, 01:56 PM   #9
wmaurer
Enthusiast
wmaurer doesn't litterwmaurer doesn't litter

Device: Nook Simple Touch, HTC Desire
Harcourt Publishing and Grove/Atlantic. I don't know much about how big they are, but one book is the Booker Prize winner, and the other was shortlisted. I posted the link to Mobipocket's response on the 'Potentially very disappointed' thread.
wmaurer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 01:58 PM   #10
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FixB View Post
Even more : buy your books from stores without any DRMs (I like Baen )
Books aren't really interchangeable. I want to read the book I want to read. If it didn't matter which book, I'd only own one and I'd read it over and over. Amazon has many more of the titles I'm interested in. Aside from PG, I find very few things I want that come without DRM. I don't see that changing any time soon.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 02:00 PM   #11
AnemicOak
Bookaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmaurer View Post
Harcourt Publishing and Grove/Atlantic. I don't know much about how big they are, but one book is the Booker Prize winner, and the other was shortlisted. I posted the link to Mobipocket's response on the 'Potentially very disappointed' thread.
Looking at the publishers sites I don't think they do much in the way of ebooks. I wonder if asking the publisher would do any good.
Old 11-20-2007, 02:19 PM   #12
tirsales
MIA ... but returning som
tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505 and *Really* not owning a PRS-700
I guess it will be exactly like the eMusic-market:
Publishers make the same mistakes again and again - seems like "learning out of errors" isn't a used technique anymore.
NTL: They will start selling eBooks when and only when there normal pBook-Market drops. Before that they will rant about "piracy books" and "organized criminals scanning books and giving them away for free" etc etc drekcetera.
Moral of the stroy: They will serve the eBook-market only if they HAVE too.
tirsales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2007, 02:29 PM   #13
EatingPie
Blueberry!
EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.

Device: Sony PRS-500 (RIP); PRS-600 (Good Riddance); PRS-505; PRS-650; PRS-350
Look, we DESPERATELY need a single e-Book format.

Amazon has the power and numbers to make that single format happen. Every e-reader that I know can be firmware flashed, so it's just a question of licensing and implementing the Kindle format in each Reader.

Unfortunately, it looks like Amazon wants to the Kindle to be the "iPod of e-Readers" in all ways but the good. They're locking Amazon content to the Kindle like Apple iTunes to the iPod. But unlike the iPod, the Kindle is the butt-ugliest piece of shi -- er -- electronics I've seen in years...

To the pain.... Children will gaze upon you and cry out 'my God what is that thing!'

I have no problem with DRM as long as its universally usable. That latter is where Amazon is blowing it... so, yeah, chalk me up as another one pissed at Amazon on this one. (Though I admit, early to call, and time will tell.)

-Pie
EatingPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2007, 03:22 PM   #14
FixB
Groupie
FixB has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.FixB has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.FixB has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.FixB has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.FixB has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alisa View Post
Books aren't really interchangeable. I want to read the book I want to read. If it didn't matter which book, I'd only own one and I'd read it over and over.
Agreed
I just wanted to point out that there are interesting books outside amazon. Even if not all the ones you want...
FixB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 01:23 AM   #15
rflashman
Zealot
rflashman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rflashman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rflashman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rflashman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rflashman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Amazon Kindle, Archos 605 Wifi, & Sony PRS-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by EatingPie View Post
Look, we DESPERATELY need a single e-Book format.
I think what Amazon wants is a single e-Book service. Since they keep a copy of everything you buy online, they could easily support different (future) devices and seamlessly transfer your purchased content between them. So they are not locked to any single format.
rflashman is offline   Reply With Quote