Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 11-29-2012, 10:04 AM   #16
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Munch View Post
Well, it shouldn't matter much if they lend out 10 books a day for 100 days, or just 1000 books in 1 day. The only thing it would change, is that the people that signed up for a book and lost interest due to the long wait for a book would get it right away, but I can't believe it would be more than a 10% increase.
Libraries need to be able to control their expenditure. It would cost a lot more to buy a licence to lend 10 copies of a book simultaneously than to lend 1000, and if they bought a licence for 1000 simultaneous loans of a book, but only 10 people ever actually wanted to read it at once, that would be a massive waste of the library's (and hence the taxpayers') money.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 10:24 AM   #17
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
Streaming? I spend a large portion of my readng time on public transportation, or wating in a Dr office, etc. That is really the dumbest idea I have ever heard. Makes the convenience of a pbook sound good, huh?!
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-30-2012, 05:02 AM   #18
David Munch
Scholar
David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O + iPad Air 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Libraries need to be able to control their expenditure. It would cost a lot more to buy a licence to lend 10 copies of a book simultaneously than to lend 1000, and if they bought a licence for 1000 simultaneous loans of a book, but only 10 people ever actually wanted to read it at once, that would be a massive waste of the library's (and hence the taxpayers') money.
I was of course assuming that they would strike a logical deal, where number of loans scale with the license money..
David Munch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 05:04 AM   #19
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Munch View Post
I was of course assuming that they would strike a logical deal, where number of loans scale with the license money..
We may be talking at cross-purposes? Are you proposing that they should allow unlimited lending, and pay a fee corresponding to what was actually borrowed, rather than agree a maximum number of simultaneous loans in advance? That strikes me as financially extremely risky for the library, because they wouldn't know in advance what their actual expenditure was going to be.
Old 11-30-2012, 05:09 AM   #20
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
Quote:
We may be talking at cross-purposes? Are you proposing that they should allow unlimited lending, and pay a fee corresponding to what was actually borrowed, rather than agree a maximum number of simultaneous loans in advance? That strikes me as financially extremely risky for the library, because they wouldn't know in advance what their actual expenditure was going to be.
That is exactly the problem in Sweden. Libraries pay per loan and have now implemented restrictions on how many loans you can make. The benefit is that a book is never "out" when you want to loan it, but you may have to bide your time if your are maxed out.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-30-2012, 05:12 AM   #21
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
That is exactly the problem in Sweden. Libraries pay per loan and have now implemented restrictions on how many loans you can make. The benefit is that a book is never "out" when you want to loan it, but you may have to bide your time if your are maxed out.
I can see the benefits of the Swedish system for the consumer, but one Harry Potter-like "best-seller" available as an eBook could be a financial catastrophe for the library system.
Old 11-30-2012, 06:17 AM   #22
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I can see the benefits of the Swedish system for the consumer, but one Harry Potter-like "best-seller" available as an eBook could be a financial catastrophe for the library system.
I don't know about the correlation between sales and loans in the UK but if it's like here I doubt it would brake the back of the libraries, besides they don't make Harry Potter available for lending, do they? I know, just an example for illustrative purposes. The reason they implemented the restrictions was the demand for soccer player Zlatan Ibrahimovic's autobiography.
Old 11-30-2012, 12:49 PM   #23
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
Harry Potter is available through elending from libraries in the US. JK Rowling holds the rights to the ebooks, I think, so she can strike a different deal with libraraies that is unique to only her books.

Last edited by xendula; 11-30-2012 at 01:00 PM.
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 12:57 PM   #24
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic

Here?
As in your house?
Old 11-30-2012, 01:00 PM   #25
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
Here?
As in your house?
Sorry, I meant here in the US. Though, if you come by my house, I'll lend you a copy
Old 11-30-2012, 01:08 PM   #26
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic

Because it could also be interpreted as Germany.
Hence the confusion.
Old 11-30-2012, 04:07 PM   #27
xendula
eBookworm

True, I keep forgetting to be more precise. I just checked, and my (very limited) German online library does not have Harry Potter either. I feel that Europeans always get screwed on everything, darn it!
Old 11-30-2012, 09:27 PM   #28
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogue_librarian View Post
If authors (whose interests are not necessarily congruent with publishers here), publishers and libraries sat down together, I am sure a sustainable model could be found, taking full advantage of the digital nature of ebooks.

Artificial scarcity is just, well, plain stupid.
I'm sure that a sustainable model -- in terms of at least a tiny portion of authors, editors, translators, etc. being able to make a living writing -- is impossible without scarcity. Economics is the study of scarcity. Without scarcity, the value of anything and everything is zero. And since the material eBooks are made of is somewhere between non-existent and infinitesimal (not quite sure of the physics here), the only kind of eBook scarcity there can be is artificial.
SteveEisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 04:56 AM   #29
rogue_librarian
Guru
rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Basic 613
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveEisenberg View Post
I'm sure that a sustainable model -- in terms of at least a tiny portion of authors, editors, translators, etc. being able to make a living writing -- is impossible without scarcity.
I disagree. Let's take a look at music -- not exactly the same, but an industry that has most of its growing pains behind it, presumably. Is music artificially scarce? No, it's plentiful. I can buy a track for a buck, or use any of the growing number of legal listening services, financed either via a lowish monthly fee of some kind, or some commercials. Never ever am I told "sorry, only 100 people may listen to this song concurrently": I listen to a song, and performing artists get a few cents. Everybody wins.

The same is true for videos. Take Netflix: for a fee, you can rent a given number of DVDs at a time. While there are necessarily constraints for physical items (they only have a certain number of DVDs), no such restrictions exist for streaming video.

Music and video have made the step from physical item to online service. The ebook needs to do the same, and trying to mirror built-in limitations of physical items is, I repeat myself, stupid, desperate and shows a deep-rooted fear of losing a once profitable, but no longer sustainable business model. It's also an uphill battle (or fighting retreat, depending on your point of view); those who refuse to adapt will simply become irrelevant in due course.

Last edited by rogue_librarian; 12-02-2012 at 09:09 AM.
rogue_librarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 09:24 AM   #30
xendula
eBookworm

Rogue_librarian, that's a great point for a subscription based ebook model, but would that work for public libraries? If they had to "pay per read" every time a library patron reads a title, how would they make sure they don't go bankrupt?

I just wish there was a way for me to donate my read ebooks to my libraries, or gift ebooks to them with the right to read it first, but of course, a book that costs be 9.99 costs them up to 100 times more if I recall the number correctly that my local library gave me.