Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 08-10-2011, 07:42 AM   #1
DianaB
Voracious Reader
DianaB really knows where his or her towel isDianaB really knows where his or her towel isDianaB really knows where his or her towel isDianaB really knows where his or her towel isDianaB really knows where his or her towel isDianaB really knows where his or her towel isDianaB really knows where his or her towel isDianaB really knows where his or her towel isDianaB really knows where his or her towel isDianaB really knows where his or her towel isDianaB really knows where his or her towel is

Device: Kindle Voyage
Kindle Cloud Reader

Amazon’s Answer To Apple’s Terms: A Web-Based Kindle Cloud Reader — Brilliant On PC, Better On iPad

http://techcrunch.com/2011/08/09/kindle-cloud-reader/

Amazon has quietly launched a new web app called "Kindle Cloud Reader" that allows Chrome and Safari users to access their Kindle eBooks through their browsers. The Cloud Reader also supports the iPad version of Safari, giving Amazon a workaround to Apple's new subscription rules requiring any in-app sales to go through Apple's purchasing system.
DianaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 07:57 AM   #2
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
What!? No Firefox!?
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-10-2011, 08:04 AM   #3
arcadata
Grand Sorcerer
arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kindle Fire, iPad, iPod Touch, Sony PRS-350
The Kindle Cloud Reader app looks great though on Google Chrome, I'll try it out on Safari later on. There's a real handy Kindle store button on the upper-right side of the reader too
arcadata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 08:13 AM   #4
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
Happy to be able to read my kindle books on my computer. Not that I plan to do that often, but it is a nice thing. On my iPad/iPhone, I'll continue to use the kindle app.

When you click on the "Kindle Store" button in the web app...it takes you to the regular ol' Amazon kindle store website. The same site I've used all along to buy my kindle ebooks. I still don't see the "big deal" about having that button removed from the kindle app. It's no trouble to fire up safari and type in amazon.com

Lee
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 08:19 AM   #5
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
Very, very nice looking html-5 based browser reader running on Windows 7 under Google Chrome. Slick, fast, synced reading experience to enhance the Kindle eco-system.

Bravo. Job well done!
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-10-2011, 08:48 AM   #6
mldavis2
Coffee Nut
mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3; K4PC; Calibre
Call me a luddite, but I'm not into this "cloud" stuff. It gives someone else far too much control over my reading, and my data, not to mention that servers do fail -- read the headlines from yesterday where the entire Amazon network was offline in Europe. It also clutters up bandwidth which is becoming more and more apparent as my internet connection download speeds continue to fall on my DSL from my ISP as people use it for streaming movies and all manner of bandwidth intensive use. I've complained to no avail and my download speeds are about half what they were when I signed on a couple of years ago...too slow for net streaming HD for sure.

I'll take my chances with my own backup systems "in house" and avoid relying on some unseen corporation in the "cloud" for my data, information and security.
mldavis2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 09:31 AM   #7
avantman42
Wizard
avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by mldavis2 View Post
Call me a luddite, but I'm not into this "cloud" stuff. It gives someone else far too much control over my reading, and my data, not to mention that servers do fail
In this particular case, I think these concerns are less valid than in general. Amazon already has this data - the books that are available are those that you've bought from Amazon, not ones that you upload.

In addition, books can be downloaded to read offline, so if the servers go offline, you'll still be able to read your book. Admittedly, you won't be able to download a new one to read, though.

Personally, I like it and have installed it on my copy of Chromium. The thing I really like about it is that it runs on Linux

Russ
avantman42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 09:33 AM   #8
wooorm
Awesome.
wooorm once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.wooorm once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.wooorm once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.wooorm once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.wooorm once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.wooorm once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.wooorm once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.wooorm once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.wooorm once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.wooorm once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.wooorm once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPad, iPhone, Mac
Anyone here that has experience with SQlite 3?

The books you've viewed on the Cloud Reader seem to be saved as .db files in:
Code:
Users/(Name)/Library/Safari/Databases/https_read.amazon.com_0
There also seems to be a .localstorage file in file, but its small, and something else. Its located here:
Code:
Users/(Name)/Library/Safari/Localstorage
All those files seem to be SQlite3 files, with a text encoding i cant get a handle on. I do recognise some things tho: <div> Tags, some words, the ASIN of the book, but theres a lot of gibberish to...

any of you do?
wooorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 09:45 AM   #9
misling
Zealot
misling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.misling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.misling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.misling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.misling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.misling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.misling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.misling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.misling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.misling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.misling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Woorm: what about books you've 'downloaded' to 'read locally'? ad-hype says you can do that.
Also what about books you have 'open' in the browser? are they in the browser cache somewhere or the temporary internet files location? Possibly that would be a different format. I would expect them to be encrypted somehow or other, just to enforce the DRM.
misling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 09:46 AM   #10
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Brilliant!

Wonder what will be next Apple's move, block Amazon IP ports or addresses? lol ...
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 09:49 AM   #11
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mldavis2 View Post
Call me a luddite, but I'm not into this "cloud" stuff. It gives someone else far too much control over my reading, and my data, not to mention that servers do fail -- read the headlines from yesterday where the entire Amazon network was offline in Europe. It also clutters up bandwidth which is becoming more and more apparent as my internet connection download speeds continue to fall on my DSL from my ISP as people use it for streaming movies and all manner of bandwidth intensive use. I've complained to no avail and my download speeds are about half what they were when I signed on a couple of years ago...too slow for net streaming HD for sure.

I'll take my chances with my own backup systems "in house" and avoid relying on some unseen corporation in the "cloud" for my data, information and security.
I think you missed the point.

Your Amazon books are there already. This is another way to read those.
Old 08-10-2011, 09:57 AM   #12
jocampo
Layback feline

Quote:
Originally Posted by misling View Post
Woorm: what about books you've 'downloaded' to 'read locally'? ad-hype says you can do that.
Also what about books you have 'open' in the browser? are they in the browser cache somewhere or the temporary internet files location? Possibly that would be a different format. I would expect them to be encrypted somehow or other, just to enforce the DRM.
I just tested turning my wifi off.

I am able to read the downloaded book on my iPad but of course, I can't browse my collection.

So for reading a book, there is no additional bandwidth I believe. The data or ebook file is being kept locally.

The question is .. will this be the beginning of the end for Kindle on iOs? Because I must admit, Kindle for iOs is a very mature and nice app. A browser is a very clever idea, but limited on some aspects anyway. On Kindle for iOs I can even use the dictionary while being offline. I don't see a dictionary using web browser alternative.

Last edited by jocampo; 08-10-2011 at 10:02 AM.
Old 08-10-2011, 09:59 AM   #13
wooorm
Awesome.
wooorm once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.wooorm once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.wooorm once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.wooorm once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.wooorm once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.wooorm once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.wooorm once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.wooorm once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.wooorm once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.wooorm once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.wooorm once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by misling View Post
1: Yes, you can read them "locally", but thats just the information saved offline (the html, the css, the javascript, etc. i think). All that information is saved (i guess) in a .db file (000000000000000b.db for me). When i downloaded more books for offline use, that file grew bigger.

The books you have open will indeed, probably, be cached somewhere, although i have no idea where that would be. Although i doubt the DRM part...
Old 08-10-2011, 10:07 AM   #14
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by wooorm View Post
When i downloaded more books for offline use, that file grew bigger.
Officially the Kindle Cloud Reader will cache up to 50MB of files on the host device.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 10:33 AM   #15
wooorm
Awesome.

Liza Daly just tweeted this:
Quote:
Kindle Cloud reader uses jQuery, Web SQL db, appcache - just like us. Has same 50 MB storage limitation on Safari that @ibisreader does.
and
Quote:
They're storing complex datastructures in SQL as JSON objects, so the DB schema is simpler than ours.