Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-12-2016, 09:25 AM   #1
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Amazon: new unlimited music streaming service

Amazon Launches Three-Tiered Music Unlimited Streaming Service

Noticed something happened with my Prime Music not wanting to stream for some music that used to be free with Prime. Hopefully that is just a glitch as I won't pay for music unless included in Prime.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 09:27 AM   #2
Phogg
PHD in Horribleness
Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Just a whole bunch. I guess I am a collector now.
I have zero use for streamed music.
Phogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 09:36 AM   #3
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
There's also an ongoing discussion in the Media Deals thread -- here & here

And there's another discussion in the Amazon Echo Club thread -- here & here

Subscription Plans can be found here & here

Last edited by tubemonkey; 10-12-2016 at 09:50 AM.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 11:31 AM   #4
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phogg View Post
I used to think that, since I have a fairly large collection of music. I still buy music, but I also using streaming. It's a good way to find new music, or remember music from way back when. To each his own, though.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 12:25 PM   #5
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
There's also an ongoing discussion in the Media Deals thread -- here & here

And there's another discussion in the Amazon Echo Club thread -- here & here

Subscription Plans can be found here & here
...and the exits are here and here. Thank you for flying Amazonian Aircrash Lines.
Old 10-12-2016, 12:32 PM   #6
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
...and the exits are here and here. Thank you for flying Amazonian Aircrash Lines.
...smart a**
Old 10-12-2016, 06:27 PM   #7
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
It is not at all clear to me what the value proposition is: what content is included? Every mp3 that you can purchase at Amazon (I assume not)?

I just signed up for 30 day free Spotify trial last weekend, after using free tier for a number of months. So I knew what content they have, and some idea of what they don't have (within my more specialized interests). I really like it so far, despite some 'missing' content. The mobile app 'Spotify Connect' feature is really slick, integration with Echo/FireTV is very good.

Amazon has zero integration with Alexa devices with Amazon Music or Audible apps, by contrast. Try to use the Alexa app to pick music or an Audible title to play. Horrible.

At least for now, $7.99 does not seem that attractive, given my current infatuation and satisfaction with Spotify Premium (particularly with its superior integration with Alexa, and 99% of the artists and content that I want to listen to).
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 06:55 PM   #8
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
It is not at all clear to me what the value proposition is: what content is included? Every mp3 that you can purchase at Amazon (I assume not)?

I just signed up for 30 day free Spotify trial last weekend, after using free tier for a number of months. So I knew what content they have, and some idea of what they don't have (within my more specialized interests). I really like it so far, despite some 'missing' content. The mobile app 'Spotify Connect' feature is really slick, integration with Echo/FireTV is very good.

Amazon has zero integration with Alexa devices with Amazon Music or Audible apps, by contrast. Try to use the Alexa app to pick music or an Audible title to play. Horrible.

At least for now, $7.99 does not seem that attractive, given my current infatuation and satisfaction with Spotify Premium (particularly with its superior integration with Alexa, and 99% of the artists and content that I want to listen to).
Amazon has 41.3 million songs in their catalog for sale. Music Unlimited has 27.4 million songs in its catalog and Prime Music has 2.2 million songs.

By contrast, Deezer has 40+ million songs, Groove Music has 38+ million, Google Play has 35+ million songs, Spotify has 30+ million songs, and Tidal has 25+ million songs.

The best way to see which services have the songs you like is to try them out. That's what I did and Spotify was my first choice as I waited for Amazon to release their subscription service. I'm going with Amazon because of the $4 Echo Plan.
Old 10-13-2016, 02:30 AM   #9
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Amazon has 41.3 million songs in their catalog for sale. Music Unlimited has 27.4 million songs in its catalog and Prime Music has 2.2 million songs.

By contrast, Deezer has 40+ million songs, Groove Music has 38+ million, Google Play has 35+ million songs, Spotify has 30+ million songs, and Tidal has 25+ million songs.

The best way to see which services have the songs you like is to try them out. That's what I did and Spotify was my first choice as I waited for Amazon to release their subscription service. I'm going with Amazon because of the $4 Echo Plan.
Anything without Alexa support is a non-starter for me. So it is between Amazon Music and Spotify (Pandora Plus a distant third). But you are right, I'll probably have to do a trial to get a bettter idea of what is there.

But as I said earlier, Spotify's mobile apps seem more advanced than the Amazon Music app is at this point (Spotify Connect, gapless, crossfade, normalize volume etc), and their playlists are more advanced also. And Prime Music, with its 'millions' of songs, is already paid for as part of my Prime membership.

I'm also wondering how Fire tablets will work with this. My Fire Phone has a separate 'Prime Music' app (in addition to the built in Music app) and it has not gotten the re-branded 'Amazon Music' app to replace it as yet. My Fire HD6 seems to know nothing about Amazon Music subscriptions.

Last edited by tomsem; 10-13-2016 at 02:33 AM.
Old 10-13-2016, 03:11 AM   #10
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
I'm also wondering how Fire tablets will work with this. My Fire Phone has a separate 'Prime Music' app (in addition to the built in Music app) and it has not gotten the re-branded 'Amazon Music' app to replace it as yet. My Fire HD6 seems to know nothing about Amazon Music subscriptions.
My 2016 Fire HD 8 was updated to the new blue Amazon Music app yesterday. I'm in the UK and we don't have the new service yet.

Last edited by Josieb1; 10-13-2016 at 04:06 AM.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 03:13 AM   #11
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phogg View Post
I use streamed music on a daily basis. But I've zero use for Amazon Music and Amazon Music has zero use for me, so that works out ok (probably another services that we'll never see).
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 08:45 AM   #12
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
I presume there is still a 10 device limit for Prime Music?

My Fire HD8 updated but I don't use it for that, because it would be device 9 out of 10 allowed.

Is there any place on the Amazon website where one can find a list of devices that are activated to play Amazon Music? Oh I just found it! In case others are curious, I was looking at the Amazon Music page, and on the far right it said Settings. I've never seen this settings page before.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 09:22 AM   #13
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
Hmm... I just use Pandora One to have streaming music, and find new pieces (usually buying the MP3 from the link to Amazon). I have been doing it long enough that much of the music Pandora chooses are ones I have already purchased. It has absorbed my selections for favorites and those I have rejected for a while now and makes good picks.

Luck;
Ken

Last edited by Ken Maltby; 10-14-2016 at 09:26 AM.
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 12:24 PM   #14
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Maltby View Post
Hmm... I just use Pandora One to have streaming music, and find new pieces (usually buying the MP3 from the link to Amazon). I have been doing it long enough that much of the music Pandora chooses are ones I have already purchased. It has absorbed my selections for favorites and those I have rejected for a while now and makes good picks.

Luck;
Ken
I love Pandora too (free version). It's my favorite music service for listening to genre radio stations; especially for its ability to select individual years. Even though I'm getting one of the Music Unlimited plans, Pandora will still be a vital part of my music library.
Old 10-19-2016, 03:02 AM   #15
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer

I've done a bit of checking, and will be emphatically sticking with Spotify Premium for now. While I went digital with my reading a long time ago, for some reason I was still buying CD's until relatively recently. Streaming was a 'nice to have'. But since getting rid of ads, and experiencing a truly deep catalog of content, there is no going back. It has totally transformed my music consumption patterns. But if Spotify did not have such great integration with Echo, I'd probably have gone with Amazon Music.