Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 02-21-2011, 12:21 AM   #1471
FF2
Wizard
FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: WiFi Kindle3
Someone has reported buying a new k3 from Target, I believe, that already had 3.1 installed. Amazon does still report it as beta????
FF2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 05:58 AM   #1472
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
I am on 3.1 and have the screensaver hack and jailbreak. Can anyone explain how, if it's been worked out, I can uninstall both and go back to a vanilla 3.1 kindle? Thanks

It seemed in the last few pages someone had worked out a backdoor way, but I don't understand code so I got confused, sorry

Last edited by Josieb1; 02-21-2011 at 08:57 AM.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-21-2011, 06:45 AM   #1473
lyric
Enthusiast
lyric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lyric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lyric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lyric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lyric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lyric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lyric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lyric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lyric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lyric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lyric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
Hi Josie,

You can't do it yet very easily, but it looks like a proper jailbreak is on its way (see yifanlu's post above).

If you wait a week or two and follow these forums, it seems likely that one will emerge.

Cheers,

Dan
lyric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 07:30 AM   #1474
snapper.fishes
Forever Junior Member
snapper.fishes began at the beginning.

Device: Boox Tab Ultra C
Quote:
Originally Posted by yifanlu View Post
Ok, so I was bored today and decided to try to jailbreak the 3.1 kindle. My tools were the 3.1 otaup (modified to run on my mac) and the Kindle signing tools. After hours of trying different methods, I have finally managed to create a update package that passes the verification tests in 3.1 otaup. However, my Kindle isn't on 3.1 yet, so I can't test it. If anyone's feeling risky PM me and I'll let you beta test it (if I believe you're trustworthy).

I'm not going to release it until Amazon "officially" releases 3.1 (so they don't patch it last second). The bug I'm exploiting is a weird bug in the otaup script that deals with filenames. Again, I believe my linux sh knowledge is fairly good, but the script is completely untested so if you want to risk it, send me a PM and I'll let you test it.
Do you think you can work out a un-jailbreak file from that? I am sure that some users will be willing to test that.
snapper.fishes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 08:58 AM   #1475
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
Thanks Dan, I'll sit very patiently and wait.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-21-2011, 09:10 AM   #1476
Hollow Man
Addict
Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kindle Keyboard, iPhone 13 Pro, iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by FF2 View Post
Someone has reported buying a new k3 from Target, I believe, that already had 3.1 installed. Amazon does still report it as beta????
As near as I can tell, Amazon is still listing it as an "Early Preview" release. But clearly it is being pushed out to Kindles anyway, and the guy who said he got a Target Kindle with 3.1 appears credible. So why Amazon hasn't changed its status to "officially released" yet is anybody's guess.

EDIT: As others have mentioned, looks like it's now out of preview.

-HM

Last edited by Hollow Man; 02-21-2011 at 08:37 PM.
Hollow Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 09:43 AM   #1477
Tiersten
Guru
Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Kindle 3G+WiFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by FF2 View Post
Not that unusual. Its just early preview for existing Kindles to do a manual update. They were shipping Kindles with 3.0.2 which never early preview as well.
Tiersten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 11:08 AM   #1478
yifanlu
Kindle Dissector
yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by snapper.fishes View Post
Do you think you can work out a un-jailbreak file from that? I am sure that some users will be willing to test that.
Un-jailbreak is easy. After jailbreaking, you can install any package, so un-jailbreak is just a custom package that removes the new keys.
yifanlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 02:53 AM   #1479
minhhale
minhhale began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi
Hey guys, newbie here. So my Kindle 3 Wi-fi originally came with FW 3.0.2. Then I updated to 3.1, oblivious of all these cool custom jailbreaks. It was too late when I realized.

So is there any way I can roll back to 3.0.3, or do I have to stick with the default font and screensavers and wait until you guys find some way to tackle the 3.1? I seriously want to add my custom screensavers
minhhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 03:14 AM   #1480
kranu
I <3 my Kindle
kranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

Device: Kindle 3G + WiFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by minhhale View Post
Hey guys, newbie here. So my Kindle 3 Wi-fi originally came with FW 3.0.2. Then I updated to 3.1, oblivious of all these cool custom jailbreaks. It was too late when I realized.

So is there any way I can roll back to 3.0.3, or do I have to stick with the default font and screensavers and wait until you guys find some way to tackle the 3.1? I seriously want to add my custom screensavers
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=122519
kranu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 06:46 AM   #1481
loximuthal
Connoisseur
loximuthal has not lost his or her sense of wonder.loximuthal has not lost his or her sense of wonder.loximuthal has not lost his or her sense of wonder.loximuthal has not lost his or her sense of wonder.loximuthal has not lost his or her sense of wonder.loximuthal has not lost his or her sense of wonder.loximuthal has not lost his or her sense of wonder.loximuthal has not lost his or her sense of wonder.loximuthal has not lost his or her sense of wonder.loximuthal has not lost his or her sense of wonder.loximuthal has not lost his or her sense of wonder.

Device: NST, Kindle Fire, iPad2
I just got an email from Amazon this morning stating, in part,
Quote:
We have a new, free software update for your Kindle that will be delivered via a Wi-Fi connection over the next few days.
which sounds like it is official now, to me.
loximuthal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 08:24 AM   #1482
blynott
blynott began at the beginning.

I also received that email this morning so it looks like my WiFi will stay off for a while. I'm glad I have a few books already loaded that should keep me happy for a few weeks. I really don't want to lose my personal screen-savers! I can't understand why Amazon insists that we look at dead authors.
blynott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 10:53 AM   #1483
danos1204
n00b
danos1204 began at the beginning.

Apparently mine updated before I could even turn my wireless off. I have version 3.1 on a Kindle 3 and the screensavers work just fine! Nothing changed as far as I can see. I haven't installed the new fonts yet because I didn't have time.
danos1204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 10:57 AM   #1484
Shack70
Guru
Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire 10", Honor 8 Android Phone
Yeah I think it's official as well. I got the email this morning. The last update was just bug fixes, this one offers new features so I'm sure Amazon just wants to get everyone on the same page when it comes to features.
Shack70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 11:04 AM   #1485
danos1204
n00b
danos1204 began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shack70 View Post
Yeah I think it's official as well. I got the email this morning. The last update was just bug fixes, this one offers new features so I'm sure Amazon just wants to get everyone on the same page when it comes to features.
I am assuming this means we can rest easy if we have the hack and the new update correct? I am not going to worry about mine, it is working just fine!
danos1204 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fonts, fw3, hack, jailbreak 3.1, niluje's hacks, screensavers, usbnet