Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 08-31-2009, 06:39 PM   #1
Marlinark
Banned
Marlinark began at the beginning.

Device: none
Audio books

You can get these all over and some place free however I am pretty sure that the leading Spam site removed by moderator is emusic.

The only downside I see with this is they only have the top books, anyone know where I can get some more books.

Last edited by pshrynk; 09-12-2009 at 12:04 PM.
Marlinark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 07:31 PM   #2
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Audible.com.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-31-2009, 08:55 PM   #3
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
You might check out your local library as well. A lot of libraries have downloadable audio books that you can check out for a limited time period.

dordale
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 09:03 PM   #4
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
Librivox.org offers recordings of public-domain books. These are the same books you can find at Project Gutenberg.
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 09:37 PM   #5
rjfarrell
Zealot
rjfarrell doesn't litterrjfarrell doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-505, Iphone, Ipad
I have had an Audible account for about 8 years. I positively adore it. I truly dont care how long my drive is. Im listening to my book.

Someone asked me one day how I could read one book, and listen to another, and in fact would I get them confused.....

I said "How many television shows do you watch....do you get them confused"? lol.

Audible is a most excellent site (especially if you have the monthly or yearly plan).
rjfarrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-31-2009, 09:58 PM   #6
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
I use Audible (long time member) or my public libraries site where they have both OverDrive and Netlibrary.

I did a 'trial' with eMusic about a year and a half ago and found the selection small and didn't really care for the way things operated.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 10:18 PM   #7
AJ Starr
Guru
AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PEZ, Color Libre, 2@Sony T1, Onyx i62HD
AudioBookStand Audio books site

I listen to audio books extensively. I have checked them out of my libraries, downloaded from my local library on-line site with Overdrive, and purchased a very few at Books-on-Board.

But for the audio books I want to have permanently, I buy them from Audiobookstand. They have great prices, and almost all of their selections are offered as MP3 disks as well as regular disks. I ONLY buy MP3 unabridged books, and I found Audiobookstand has the best prices.

http://www.audiobookstand.com/default.asp

I know Audible has good prices but I refuse to go on a contract basis. I never joined book clubs and I won't pay a monthy fee when I only want a few books. It would not be cost effective for me.

AJ
AJ Starr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 11:43 PM   #8
KarenH
Addict
KarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five words

Device: K3
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ Starr View Post
But for the audio books I want to have permanently, I buy them from Audiobookstand. They have great prices, and almost all of their selections are offered as MP3 disks as well as regular disks. I ONLY buy MP3 unabridged books, and I found Audiobookstand has the best prices.

http://www.audiobookstand.com/default.asp

I know Audible has good prices but I refuse to go on a contract basis. I never joined book clubs and I won't pay a monthy fee when I only want a few books. It would not be cost effective for me.

AJ

I'm a huge audiobook fan also - would never have survived several years of a 4 hour per day (round trip) commute without them. I download most of the books I listen to from the library, but fill in with Audible.com. I really like Audible, their membership plans are great if you intend to buy consistently (averaging a minimum of one book/month), but I can see how they wouldn't be the best source for an occasional purchaser. Amazon.com occasionally has some great sales on audiobooks, and they have a lot of their titles on mp3 CDs (I will also only buy unabridged mp3 format). A couple of years ago I picked up about 7 or 8 titles from them that I'd been looking for (on mp3 CDs) for less than $8 each.
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 10:46 AM   #9
AJ Starr
Guru
AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Audio book uses

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenH View Post
I'm a huge audiobook fan also - would never have survived several years of a 4 hour per day (round trip) commute without them. I download most of the books I listen to from the library, but fill in with Audible.com. I really like Audible, their membership plans are great if you intend to buy consistently (averaging a minimum of one book/month), but I can see how they wouldn't be the best source for an occasional purchaser. Amazon.com occasionally has some great sales on audiobooks, and they have a lot of their titles on mp3 CDs (I will also only buy unabridged mp3 format). A couple of years ago I picked up about 7 or 8 titles from them that I'd been looking for (on mp3 CDs) for less than $8 each.

I have a few reasons for listening to audio books also.
First, I went through a rough emotional spell, clinical depression, and the only thing that kept my mind from my troubles was to have an audio book in my ear 24/7. It worked great.
Second, I use them to sleep to. I have never been a sound sleeper, but with an audio book playing in my ear, with an earbud AT THE LOWEST LEVEL, I find when my mind wakes, the book puts me right back to sleep.
Third, as I work around the house, I'm retired now, I can listen to a book while I do housework, and even shop. No one even comments on the earbud or my player hanging from my neck. And even my occassion laughs from the funny scenes don't even invite comment in stores.
And last, yes, my husband and I take our yearly visit to relatives, 13 to 14 hours driving each way. This last year I played an audio book, Eragon, and we both agree, the trip was a lot shorter. We didn't even get through the entire book on the way down there.

I love audio books, that's why I've chosed the Astak EZ Reader Pocket Pro. It has the Text to Speech. So now I'll be able to use my ebooks, which I don't have an audio to, and listen to them. I know the electronic voice is hard to get use to, but I have a program now that converts them and I do have several electronic audio books I listen to. Now I won't have to store the audio file for my ebooks, unless I want to.

AJ
Old 09-01-2009, 11:12 AM   #10
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Elsi recommended Librivox about a year ago. I shared the link with friends, family, and co-workers. Now it is common to see co-workers in their cubes, plugged into their computer speakers, listening to books while working.

THANKS AGAIN, ELSI!
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 02:01 AM   #11
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjfarrell View Post
I have had an Audible account for about 8 years. I positively adore it. I truly dont care how long my drive is. Im listening to my book.
I didn't extend my subscription for Audible last year. For various reasons, one being I don't go by public transport to work anymore, the other that the price had gone up dramatically.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 05:21 AM   #12
wayspooled
Crab In The Dark
wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Tablet PC until a 10" comes out that I like
I've never been a fan of Audible's contract stuff. I'm only interested in unabridged too. I like Blackstone Audio. And I check Book Closeouts once in a while to see if they have anything in worthwhile. I've found a few nice things very cheap.

I also like W F Howe which is where I found audiobooks of Dorothy Dunnett who I consider one of the two greatest writers of historical fiction. And the other writer is Patrick O'Brian and I found his audio books at Isis Publishing. Both stores have many other authors obviously

Oh and they have a few at Buy.com, which is particularly good if you catch a sale.

Last edited by wayspooled; 09-02-2009 at 05:35 AM.
wayspooled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 07:20 AM   #13
wheresmytea
wheresmytea began at the beginning.

Device: ipaq 111, iphone, bebook mini
I'm about to cancel my audible subscription. They won't sell me any of the books I actually want because of my location.
wheresmytea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 08:36 AM   #14
AJ Starr
Guru

Price

Just out of curiosity, how much is "too much" when you are buying an audio book.

Most of the books I buy I'm willing to spend up to $19.99. I might, if I want it really bad, go to $22.99. Unfortunately, there is one series I want but they have not converted to MP3, and the standard CD's sets are $39.99.

What are your thresholds?

AJ
Old 09-02-2009, 01:18 PM   #15
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
I was a long time Audible subscriber...from the time when they were offering the Rio 500's for $50 when you signed up for an account. My first book purchase was May 2001. I love the service...and I was "grandfathered" in on one of their original super-good deals. I was able to download two books a month for $14.

I finally cancelled my account in January of this year--Since I've been getting books from the library, my Audible library had steadily been increasing with books I haven't listened to yet. I still have many hours of Audible books that I haven't listened to yet, but am slowly whittling it down. I don't know if I'll ever join again, because although they have good deals now I'm able to download a lot of the books I like to listen to from my local libraries.

dordale
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote