Notices

Old 09-15-2008, 06:35 AM   #1
alanastoz
Enthusiast
alanastoz is on a distinguished road

Device: cybook gen 3, ebookwise 1150
Question Sony 500 Screen or OS? Problem

Hi, I need help desperately!!!
I have a Sony 500 with two major problems.

Firstly, the unit does not show up in My Computer so i can't check if there is an operating system present or not.

Secondly, It won't turn on properly. basically there are shaded lines on the screen and when you turn it on there is a blinking curser but nothing else.

When i go thru the connect library software i can see the book loaded onto the reader so i know something is working.

i think, that i need to reflash? the OS but i have no idea what to do to get this done. I have tried a soft and hard reset with no result.

please i need someone who know what they are doing to talk me thru what i need to do. Please, please, please help.
alanastoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 08:28 AM   #2
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
You can download the firmware updater here. Although I'm afraid what you describe sounds like a screen failure :/
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-16-2008, 04:08 AM   #3
alanastoz
Enthusiast

Thanks, I tried it but it still won't go to the start up page. the screen looks ok, i can't see any cracks and it just looks like old ghost lines. I can see a curser flashing which is what made me think it might be OS related. Is it possible that the entire OS has been wiped? Is there any way to re-load from the beginning?
Just remember, I have some knowledge but i'm really, just a baby girl to these things.
Any help would be really really appreciated.
Cheers, Gaby
Old 09-16-2008, 04:20 AM   #4
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
Try a battery charge, then resets:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21337

also Igorsk's firmware updater (see two posts previously).

But this could be a broken screen substrate. Do a forum search - some of the threads have pictures.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 07:07 AM   #5
alanastoz
Enthusiast

Thanks guys, will give Igor's a go tonight.
Cheers, gaby
Advert
Old 09-16-2008, 11:52 PM   #6
alanastoz
Enthusiast

Thanks for all the help.

You guys ROCK!!