Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 03-04-2013, 11:17 AM   #16
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham View Post

And as noted above, this wouldn't work if there was no internet connection, as the tablet wouldn't receive the updated index across the cloud and know to update the local version over wifi.

Graham
Right, the tablet would need to touch base with DropBox to know it should sync, then it will sync locally as per the page I linked/quoted above.

So in summary, so long as it can check home base, DropBox will sync, and keep files in sync via the local network on all OSs. The only weakness (and I agree on this hiccup, but accept it as price of entry) is the need to check home for directions on what to do.

I use it, and it works great for me. When I am at home my tablet (which is wifi only) syncs up everything and when I arrive where I am speaking my tablet has what i need on it, regardless of internet connection.
VydorScope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 02:50 PM   #17
Marseille
Guru
Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Mobilenoter reads native .one files, so mobilenoter + onenote could be a solution for you.
Marseille is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-04-2013, 06:45 PM   #18
teh603
Autism Spectrum Disorder
teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android Phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffC View Post
Possibly, but as I have a wifi - it would make more sense to use that ? Thanks, though - all ideas gratefully received.
I've tried doing manual synching over FTP, and found it a bit of a headache- and FTP is supposedly pretty insecure.

There's also the issue of NAT translation if you're trying to dial up from somewhere off your LAN. I ran into it with AT&T because the gateway uses one set of IP ranges for internal addressing, but a different one for connected computers.
teh603 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 11:16 AM   #19
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham View Post
Geoff, can you let us know if this is off topic?

I'm not sure if the preference not to use the cloud is because you've got intermittent internet access (in which case this is on topic) or fully related to security concerns (in which case this is off topic).

Graham
Not too far off-topic, so thanks for the little discussion/testing you've done.

As to the cloud - it's something I would like to avoid largely because I don't trust it!!! There are too many stories of hacks breaking through firewalls that don't offer a great deal of confidence. I, like others, have objected to Norton with their 'cloud' storage of passwords.

Nothing is secure to determined hackers, as many governments can testify to. Evernote was recently targeted successfully.

I accept secured wifi is less secure than cloud, but I live far enough away from our nearest neighbour (& public road) that I doubt my signal strength can reach them - theirs don't reach me very often.
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 12:47 PM   #20
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
Do any of the wifi-enabled memory cards (eg. Eye-fi) have an auto-sync option for a local network folder? I haven't played with any of these wifi memory cards but it sounds like a possibility.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-05-2013, 05:50 PM   #21
teh603
Autism Spectrum Disorder
teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android Phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penforhire View Post
Do any of the wifi-enabled memory cards (eg. Eye-fi) have an auto-sync option for a local network folder? I haven't played with any of these wifi memory cards but it sounds like a possibility.
I would absolutely NOT use eye-fi. I've heard too many complaints about security and files going to the right place.
teh603 is offline   Reply With Quote