Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 10-29-2012, 06:49 PM   #1
beatstockpromo
beatstockpromo began at the beginning.

Device: none
A couple issues with my first epub

Edit thanks

Last edited by beatstockpromo; 03-24-2013 at 12:43 PM.
beatstockpromo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 06:53 PM   #2
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
I then formatted it in Sigil and then converted to an epub in Calibre.
I'm confused. Why the need to use calibre to convert it to an epub? If you formatted it in Sigil, you already have an epub. Epubs are what Sigil makes.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-29-2012, 07:03 PM   #3
beatstockpromo

Oh maybe I was confused. I thought I had to convert it in Calibre afterwards.
Old 10-29-2012, 07:09 PM   #4
beatstockpromo

edit done

Last edited by beatstockpromo; 03-24-2013 at 12:44 PM.
Old 10-29-2012, 09:42 PM   #5
beatstockpromo

Nobody knows how I can fix these issues?
Advert
Old 10-29-2012, 09:45 PM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by beatstockpromo View Post
There is no concept of pinch in EPUB2.
Your question would best be asked in a Apple forum.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 10:29 PM   #7
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by beatstockpromo View Post
Well, firstly, even though the code is cluttered to death with sgc classes, which says a lot, I note that you're calling the toc entries using #whatever of the id's. It's far, far simpler to just use the filename of the relevant chapter, and if you haven't broken the file into separate chapters (files) yet, you really ought to. However, it seems as though your entries don't match, anyway--you have "c1" and "c2" with what don't appear to be matching entries? I see ch1 and ch2, but not c1 and c2?

Second, would you like to tell us what size your images are? And what the coding surrounding them says, and what the styling is set at? What you're saying can't be addressed without seeing your coding. You must have done something rather unusual to disable iBooks' pinch zoom feature--by the way, are you double-tapping the image first? iBooks does not work like "regular" images on an iPad--if you're sitting there trying to pinch-zoom on the "page" of the book, that dog don't hunt, as they say in the Deep South. You have to double-tap the image first, and then you can pinch-zoom in the ensuing interface, which is simply an image display. OK?

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 11:00 PM   #8
beatstockpromo

edit done

Last edited by beatstockpromo; 03-24-2013 at 12:44 PM. Reason: wrap HUGE paste in spoiler
Old 10-30-2012, 12:17 AM   #9
doubleshuffle
Unicycle Daredevil
doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura HD (R.I.P. After six years the USB socket died.) tolino shine 3
The links themselves seem correct (though I might be overlooking some errors - very early morning here.) But you said they work in Sigil, didn't you? So they should be all right.

What I DO notice is that your whole book seems to be one monster file called "index". You will have to split that into several smaller files.

Also, have you looked into css stylesheets? There can't be much in yours if Sigil is forced to come up with dozens of sgc categories.

From what I've seen so far, creating epubs from Word seems a bad idea anyway, very hard to pull off. Have you tried opening your book in Open Office, saving it as an odt file and then converting it to epub with Writer2epub? That will produce a much cleaner epub than what you have now. (Though you might have to fix the links of your inline TOC manually at the end.)
doubleshuffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 12:58 AM   #10
beatstockpromo

I cleaned it up but I still don't no why it won' link correctly in ibooks eventhough it works in Sigil. I will spit the index.html but I want to figure this put first. I also am getting one validation error in epubcheck, even though Sigil says no problems found.

assertion failed: The "id" attribute does not have a unique value

Spoiler:

---------------------------------------------------------------
<h1 id="contents">Table Of Contents:</h1>

<p>&nbsp;</p>

<p class="contentsheading"><a href="../Text/index.html#preface">Preface</a></p>

<p class="contentsheading"><a href="../Text/index.html#intro">Introduction</a><br /></p>

<p class="contentsheading"><a href="../Text/index.html#ch1">Chapter 1: The Penny Stock Market Behind The Scenes</a></p>

<p class="contentssub"><a href="../Text/index.html#c1">What Are Penny Stocks?</a></p>

<p class="contentssub"><a href="../Text/index.html#c2">Who Are The Major Players?</a></p>

<p class="contentssub"><a href="../Text/index.html#c3">Which Stocks Do I Focus On?</a></p>

<p class="contentssub"><a href="../Text/index.html#c4">Why Not Trade Big Board Stocks?</a></p>

<p class="contentssub"><a href="../Text/index.html#c5">Correct Time Of Day To Trade</a></p>

<p class="contentssub"><a href="../Text/index.html#c6">Penny Stock Scams.</a></p>

<p class="contentssub"><a href="../Text/index.html#c7">Penny Stock Promoters: Pure Evil or Angels?</a></p>

<p class="contentssub"><a href="../Text/index.html#c8">Press Releases</a></p>

<p class="contentssub"><a href="../Text/index.html#c9">Methods Used By Stock Promoters</a></p>

<p class="contentssub"><a href="../Text/index.html#c10">It is All In The Stock Promoter's Disclaimer</a></p>

<p class="contentssub"><a href="../Text/index.html#c11">Why Does The SEC Not Crack Down On These Scams?</a></p>

<p>&nbsp;</p>

<p class="contentsheading"><a href="../Text/index.html#ch2">Chapter 2: Modern Technical Analysis</a></p>

<p class="contentssub"><a href="../Text/index.html#d1">What is Technical Analysis?</a></p>

<p class="contentssub"><a href="../Text/index.html#d2">How Did I Learn Technical Analysis?</a></p>

<p class="contentssub"><a href="../Text/index.html#d3">Why Do I Utilize Technical Analysis?</a></p>

<p class="contentssub"><a href="../Text/index.html#d4">Useful Technical Indicators</a></p>

<p class="contentssub"><a href="../Text/index.html#d5">Support and Resistance</a></p>

<p class="contentssub"><a href="../Text/index.html#d6">Japanese Candlesticks</a></p>

<p class="contentssub"><a href="../Text/index.html#d7">Fibonacci Retracements</a></p>

<p class="contentssub"><a href="../Text/index.html#d8">Fibonacci Extensions</a></p>

<p class="contentssub"><a href="../Text/index.html#d9">Fibonacci Time Cycles</a></p>

<p class="contentssub"><a href="../Text/index.html#d10">Symmetry: Measured Moves</a></p>

<p class="contentssub"><a href="../Text/index.html#d11">Elliot Wave Theory</a></p>

<p class="contentssub"><a href="../Text/index.html#d12">Trend lines &amp; Parallel Channels</a></p>

<p class="contentssub"><a href="../Text/index.html#d13">Price Gaps</a></p>

<p class="contentssub"><a href="../Text/index.html#d14">Key Moving Averages</a></p>

<p class="contentssub"><a href="../Text/index.html#d15">Pivot Points</a></p>

<p class="contentssub"><a href="../Text/index.html#d16">"The Buy/Sell Zones"</a></p>

<p class="contentssub"><a href="../Text/index.html#d17">Tying It All Together</a></p>

<p>&nbsp;</p>

<p class="contentsheading"><a href="../Text/index.html#ch3">Chapter 3: Chart Patterns</a></p>

<p class="contentssub"><a href="../Text/index.html#e1">Classic Breakout Pattern</a></p>

<p class="contentssub"><a href="../Text/index.html#e2">Anatomy Of A Breakout</a></p>

<p class="contentssub"><a href="../Text/index.html#e3">Three Or More Point Breakout</a></p>

<p class="contentssub"><a href="../Text/index.html#e4">Bottom Reversal Breakout Pattern</a></p>

<p class="contentssub"><a href="../Text/index.html#e5">Breakout Continuation Pattern</a></p>

<p class="contentssub"><a href="../Text/index.html#e6">Double Bottom &amp; Double Top Patterns&nbsp;</a></p>

<p class="contentssub"><a href="../Text/index.html#e7">Head and Shoulders / Inverse H &amp; S Patterns</a></p>

<p class="contentssub"><a href="../Text/index.html#e8">Continuation Patterns</a></p>

<p>&nbsp;</p>

<p class="contentsheading"><a href="../Text/index.html#ch4">Chapter 4: Psychology Of The Penny Stock Market</a></p>

<p class="contentssub"><a href="../Text/index.html#f1">95% of Market Participants Lose</a></p>

<p class="contentssub"><a href="../Text/index.html#f2">Fear &amp; Greed</a></p>

<p class="contentssub"><a href="../Text/index.html#f3">Taking Responsibility For Your Actions</a></p>

<p class="contentssub"><a href="../Text/index.html#f4">Controlling Your Emotions</a></p>

<p>&nbsp;</p>

<p class="contentsheading"><a href="../Text/index.html#ch5">Chapter 5: Money Management</a></p>

<p class="contentssub"><a href="../Text/index.html#g1">Protecting Your Capital</a></p>

<p class="contentssub"><a href="../Text/index.html#g2">Risk/Reward Ratio</a></p>

<p class="contentssub"><a href="../Text/index.html#g3">Win/Loss Ratio</a></p>

<p class="contentssub"><a href="../Text/index.html#g4">Drawdown's</a></p>

<p class="contentssub"><a href="../Text/index.html#g5">What Is Risk?</a></p>

<p class="contentssub"><a href="../Text/index.html#g6">Position Sizing</a></p>

<p class="contentssub"><a href="../Text/index.html#g7">Stop-loss Orders: Mental, Hard &amp; Software Based</a></p>

<p>&nbsp;</p>

<p class="contentsheading"><a href="../Text/index.html#ch6">Chapter 6: My Trading Rules</a></p>

<p>&nbsp;</p>

<p class="contentsheading"><a href="../Text/index.html#ch7">Chapter 7: Trading Methodology</a></p>

<p class="contentssub"><a href="../Text/index.html#i1">Opt-In Email Pumps</a></p>

<p class="contentssub"><a href="../Text/index.html#i2">Creating A Pump Email Account</a></p>

<p class="contentssub"><a href="../Text/index.html#i3">Setting Up Email Audio Alerts</a></p>

<p class="contentssub"><a href="../Text/index.html#i4">Emails Used To Inflate The Price</a></p>

<p class="contentssub"><a href="../Text/index.html#i5">Premier Stock Promoters</a></p>

<p class="contentssub"><a href="../Text/index.html#i6">Secondary Stock Promoters</a></p>

<p class="contentssub"><a href="../Text/index.html#i7">Why Trust The Promoters?</a></p>

<p class="contentssub"><a href="../Text/index.html#i8">Hard Fills</a></p>

<p class="contentssub"><a href="../Text/index.html#i9">Market Versus Limit Orders</a></p>

<p class="contentssub"><a href="../Text/index.html#i10">Do Not Chase!</a></p>

<p class="contentssub"><a href="../Text/index.html#i11">Never "Invest" In One Of these Scams</a></p>

<p class="contentssub"><a href="../Text/index.html#i12">How To Get An Execution When Nobody Else Can</a></p>

<p class="contentssub"><a href="../Text/index.html#i13">Direct Order Routing</a></p>

<p class="contentssub"><a href="../Text/index.html#i14">Keyboard Shortcuts</a></p>

<p class="contentssub"><a href="../Text/index.html#i15">Level 2 Quotes &amp; Time &amp; and Sales</a></p>

<p class="contentssub"><a href="../Text/index.html#i16">Target Exit Prices</a></p>

<p class="contentssub"><a href="../Text/index.html#i17">Game Day</a></p>

<p class="contentssub"><a href="../Text/index.html#i18">Paper Mailer Pumps</a></p>

<p>&nbsp;</p>

<p class="contentsheading"><a href="../Text/index.html#ch8">Chapter 8: Trading Strategies</a></p>

<p class="contentssub"><a href="../Text/index.html#j1">Overextensions &amp; Breakdowns</a></p>

<p class="contentssub"><a href="../Text/index.html#j2">Bounce Plays</a></p>

<p>&nbsp;</p>

<p class="contentsheading"><a href="../Text/index.html#ch9">Chapter 9: Explanation Of My Daily Routine</a></p>

<p class="contentssub"><a href="../Text/index.html#k1">Stock Scanning</a></p>

<p class="contentssub"><a href="../Text/index.html#k2">My Personal Trading Setup</a></p>

<p class="contentssub"><a href="../Text/index.html#k3">Becoming A Self Sufficient Trader</a></p>

<p class="contentssub"><a href="../Text/index.html#k4">The Road To Consistent Profitability</a></p>

<p class="contentssub"><a href="../Text/index.html#k5">Final Thoughts</a></p>

---------------------------------------

<h1 id="preface">Preface:</h1>

<h1 id="intro">Introduction:</h1>

<h1 id="ch1">Chapter1:</h1>

<h2 class="sgc-71 sgc-73 sgc-76" id="c1"><span class="sgc-75">What Are Penny Stocks?</span><br /></h2>

<h2 class="sgc-71 sgc-73 sgc-76" id="c2"><span class="sgc-8 sgc-5 sgc-8 sgc-72 sgc-72">Who Are The Major Players?<br /></span></h2>

<h1 id="ch2">Chapter 2:</h1>

<h1 id="ch3">Chapter 3:</h1>

<h1 id="ch4">Chapter 4:</h1>

<h1 id="ch5">Chapter 5:</h1>

<h1 id="ch6">Chapter 6:</h1>

<h1 id="ch7">Chapter 7:</h1>

<h1 id="ch8">Chapter 8:</h1>

<h1 id="ch9">Chapter 9:</h1>

Last edited by theducks; 10-30-2012 at 01:07 AM. Reason: wrap HUGE paste in spoiler
Old 10-30-2012, 01:15 AM   #11
doubleshuffle
Unicycle Daredevil
doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura HD (R.I.P. After six years the USB socket died.) tolino shine 3
The file size of your index.html may be the reason your links don't work in ibooks. Worth a try.

The stuff about the id attribute should mean that you have different headings with the same id. Although Sigil's validation should find that too and also point you to the culprit.
doubleshuffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 03:41 AM   #12
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by doubleshuffle View Post
From what I've seen so far, creating epubs from Word seems a bad idea anyway, very hard to pull off.
Not true. It can be done quite easily. The only real issue is getting clean HTML. There are several cleanup tools available on the net, although the quality differs. I personally use my own macro to create a clean HTML file. It still needs touch up in Sigil of course, but your source is clean.

You can also cleanup the HTML export of Word. That is not too hard, if you handled the Word document right. The cleaner the Word document, the cleaner the native HTML export.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 08:26 AM   #13
mncowboy
Wanderer
mncowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mncowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mncowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mncowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mncowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mncowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mncowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mncowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mncowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mncowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mncowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, PaperWhite 2
Toxaris is correct. If you make sure and assign styles to everything in the Word document, save it as a filtered web page. Then just delete everything listed between the style element in the head. This also assumes that you created a stylesheet that has all the styles you assigned in Word.
This will give you a good clean file.
Bob
mncowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 04:45 PM   #14
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by mncowboy View Post
Toxaris is correct. If you make sure and assign styles to everything in the Word document, save it as a filtered web page. Then just delete everything listed between the style element in the head. This also assumes that you created a stylesheet that has all the styles you assigned in Word.
This will give you a good clean file.
Bob
Yes, I have to stick my $.02 in about this perception, also. Everyone acts like obtaining clean HTML from Word is the equivalent of holding off the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse with a piece of wet spaghetti. But it's just not accurate. The trick--like anything else--is to start with a clean Word file. Everything in computers is GIGO. Does not matter what it is--fundamental data entry, databases, programs, ebooks...GIGO. The same is true with Word and HTML.

What I find frustrating is that so many writers clearly have zero idea how Word really works. What we get here is a mish-mosh of ad hoc styles, enough to make your head explode. Hell, two weeks ago I got a file that was typed typewriter-style--type, type type, ENTER-ENTER, type type type ENTER-ENTER (it was to be double-spaced, you see). Yeah, that would come out like trash.

The trick to a clean HTML file in Word is not to disdain working in Word for the relative ease of working in HTML. If you clean the styles first, using Word's built-in Styles management, the output can be as clean as a whistle, and we do it all day, every day. It's not undoable by any means, and, moreover, despite claims to the contrary, I have yet to see any output from any other word-processing program that is one iota cleaner.

Neither OO nor LO output better html and WordPerfect certainly does not. Ditto Atlantis. I admit I don't think I've tried to view Jutoh's output in HTML, but I don't think of that as a word-processor. I don't know what so-called "writing software" outputs, really; LSB XE outputs RTF, but I've had issues with getting that RTF to work in other programs (Word, etc.), which doesn't bode well. I've been told that Scrivener's output is groovy, but not by anyone (yet) who would really know. I like Simon's YWriter RTF output, but again, that's to be expected given his background. So, really...I don't get all the complaining about Word's allegedly bad HTML output. No big deal. Use styles correctly, export the HTML and nuke the internal stylesheet that gets crammed in there, and bob's-yer-uncle. You can also do it with regex fairly easily, but it's FAR FAR easier to clean the styles in Word first.

Just my $.02, FWIW.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote