Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

Old 01-14-2008, 05:39 PM   #1
rozie123
Enthusiast
rozie123 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS505
Converting to LRF

I have a .lit book that was created in Word. I used LIBPRS500 to convert the book to LRF. Before I converted, I edited the Metadata info, including choosing the cover (the origial .lit file had a "Word" cover). Well, when I open the file in the Sony Library, the cover I saved in the conversion is not there!

Is there anything I can do to get the correct cover, or am I stuck with the "Word" cover?

Thanks for any help.
rozie123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 05:50 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Uncheck the option "Use metadata cover" in the conversion dialog.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-15-2008, 07:00 PM   #3
rozie123
Enthusiast
rozie123 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS505
It worked! Thanks Kovidgoyal!
rozie123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 04:04 AM   #4
shousa
Groupie
shousa doesn't littershousa doesn't littershousa doesn't litter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Uncheck the option "Use metadata cover" in the conversion dialog.
Huh? On my computer with ver 4.3.3 the conversion does not work (I click on convert on a book that contains only a .txt or .lit and nothing happens at all, no dialog box) - I have been using DOS command line.

Do I need to install something else to make it work that way?
shousa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 04:11 AM   #5
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by shousa View Post
Huh? On my computer with ver 4.3.3 the conversion does not work (I click on convert on a book that contains only a .txt or .lit and nothing happens at all, no dialog box) - I have been using DOS command line.

Do I need to install something else to make it work that way?
Are you referring to converting using the libprs500 GUI itself, or converting using the command-line elements of the package (i.e. lit2lrf, etc)?
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-16-2008, 06:50 AM   #6
shousa
Groupie

I have only ever used the command line for lit2lrf.exe

I thought the above mention of a "check box" and "dialog window" was referring to an ability to do the conversion using the Libprs500 GUI.

I thought this because I have never seen the "check box" nor "dialog window" referred to.

From what you are inferring there is no GUI ability for conversion.

What was he referring to then?

Sorry upfront I am a newbie at this (from days ago not weeks)
Old 01-16-2008, 07:21 AM   #7
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shousa View Post
I thought the above mention of a "check box" and "dialog window" was referring to an ability to do the conversion using the Libprs500 GUI.
It is. If you've got the libprs500 installed, when you run it, you should have the UI shown here. If so, selecting a book then clicking the "Convert E-books" icon will take you to the conversion dialog.

What I was trying to clarify was if you're running the GUI at all, or just the command-line programs. They do the same things, (in fact, I think the GUI just spawns a sub-process to run the command-line process to actually do the conversion) but via the GUI, you don't need to specify the all various options manually!

Last edited by gwynevans; 01-16-2008 at 10:04 AM. Reason: Fix where I typed "wasn't" instead of was!
Old 01-16-2008, 08:38 AM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
shousa, what happens if you use ConvertLIT on this LIT file to expand the LIT into it's components? I have seen a few LIT files that were badly broken such that ConvertLIT does not work on them to expand them.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 04:29 PM   #9
shousa
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynevans View Post
It is. If you've got the libprs500 installed, when you run it, you should have the UI shown here. If so, selecting a book then clicking the "Convert E-books" icon will take you to the conversion dialog.

What I was trying to clarify was if you're running the GUI at all, or just the command-line programs. They do the same things, (in fact, I think the GUI just spawns a sub-process to run the command-line process to actually do the conversion) but via the GUI, you don't need to specify the all various options manually!
I have been using the command line with no options. The GUI shown for the converter NEVER SHOWS on my computer. If I have a .lit in the libprs500 database and I click convert nothing happens at all! Boo-hoo!
Old 01-16-2008, 04:33 PM   #10
shousa
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
shousa, what happens if you use ConvertLIT on this LIT file to expand the LIT into it's components? I have seen a few LIT files that were badly broken such that ConvertLIT does not work on them to expand them.
I have not been expanding them into components first put purely removing the DRM then converting to .lrf.

I read somewhere that there are issues if you expand first.

You wrote "this" .lit but I could not find a link?
Old 01-16-2008, 11:32 PM   #11
shousa
Groupie

Installed libprs on another PC and this time the converting screen shows.

Will try an uninstall and reinstall on the other machine now I have backed up my library1.db (database of library)
Old 01-17-2008, 06:26 AM   #12
shousa
Groupie

Can report that libprs500 works on 2 PCs with the conversion screen showing but not 2 others.

The 2 it does not work on run Windows XP Home Japanese.

Does anyone know why? - impossible question I guess.
Old 01-17-2008, 07:58 AM   #13
gwynevans
Wizzard

Well, if you fancy having a go at tracking the problem down yourself using the source & a debugger, there's a page I've just put up on the author(Kovid)'s wiki that might help you to get started - https://libprs500.kovidgoyal.net/wik...owsDevelopment

Beyond that, I suspect that WinXP/Japanese is too far from the 'development' environment (linux?) to be able to be supported without extreme measures.
Old 01-17-2008, 10:54 AM   #14
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Yeah the development environment is linux
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote