Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 02-20-2012, 07:43 AM   #1
Zatx
Zatx began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire
Struggling with .mbp file extension.

So I have a Kindle Fire. And I have Calibre. I have about 100 hundred books in my Calibre and I'd like to put them on my Fire, but I'm having some issues.

Let me give an example.

I have a series of books. All are from the same source. All are .mobi. I have gone through and organized the books and altered the metadata to make sure they have the correct covers, etc.

I transfer them to my kindle. I disconnect my Fire from my computer.

Half the books don't appear under my "Books" tab.

I can navigate to them when I plug the fire back into my computer and see the files sitting there, but from the Fire itself they do not appear.

After a careful review of the files I have found that each book has three files associated with it.

1.) .apnx
2.) .mbp
3.) .mobi

The books which have all three files on the Kindle show up just fine. The books that do not have the file with the .mbp extension do not appear.

How can I fix this?

Thank you for your help.
Zatx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 07:59 AM   #2
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
The .mpb is the mobi companion file... which is where your bookmarks and such are maintained. As far as I know, there is never an .mpb file until after you've opened the book at least once. That's when it gets created.

I'm guessing the missing .mbp file is coincidental to your issue.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-20-2012, 08:05 AM   #3
Zatx

Okay that makes sense.

But then do you have any thoughts on why the books themselves don't appear in the list?
Old 02-20-2012, 08:26 AM   #4
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I have no hands-on advice... I don't own a Fire. I just wanted to make sure you didn't keep barking up the wrong (.mbp) tree. I usually see Fire owners talking about Books vs Personal Docs when addressing this issue. You need to find out why the Fire thinks your book is a personal document. Sorry I couldn't be more help... hopefully someone else can offer specifics.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 02-20-2012 at 08:59 AM.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 08:37 AM   #5
Zatx

Thanks for your help.

After a lot of trial and error I got the books to show up.

I did a Mobi to Mobi conversion then reloaded them onto the Fire and they all appear.

Thanks for the advice or I would have spent several hours trying to fix an issue that didn't exist.
Advert
Old 02-21-2012, 04:14 AM   #6
salsaguy
Addict
salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kindle Fire (1st Gen), Kindle Touch, KFHD 8.9 No Ads
Read this thread
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=166078
and
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=169073
and
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=162642
salsaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 01:14 PM   #7
sadievan
Wizard
sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, iPhone, Kindle Fire HD 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zatx View Post
So I have a Kindle Fire. And I have Calibre. I have about 100 hundred books in my Calibre and I'd like to put them on my Fire, but I'm having some issues.

Let me give an example.

I have a series of books. All are from the same source. All are .mobi. I have gone through and organized the books and altered the metadata to make sure they have the correct covers, etc.

I transfer them to my kindle. I disconnect my Fire from my computer.

Half the books don't appear under my "Books" tab.

I can navigate to them when I plug the fire back into my computer and see the files sitting there, but from the Fire itself they do not appear.

After a careful review of the files I have found that each book has three files associated with it.

1.) .apnx
2.) .mbp
3.) .mobi

The books which have all three files on the Kindle show up just fine. The books that do not have the file with the .mbp extension do not appear.

How can I fix this?

Thank you for your help.
In Calibre go to Preferences\Output Options\Mobi, and remove the [PDOC] tag. You can add [EBOK] tag if you want.

Carol
sadievan is offline   Reply With Quote