Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 11-07-2007, 10:28 PM   #31
tcmoon
Connoisseur
tcmoon is on a distinguished road

Device: slate pc
They told me they will have a fix on Friday or will replace. I think they will email software to try first & if that don't work they will replaced @ their cost.
Tom
tcmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 10:49 PM   #32
cftall
"Crackers"
cftall can extract oil from cheesecftall can extract oil from cheesecftall can extract oil from cheesecftall can extract oil from cheesecftall can extract oil from cheesecftall can extract oil from cheesecftall can extract oil from cheesecftall can extract oil from cheesecftall can extract oil from cheese

Device: cybook 3 tung-e-2 ebookwise 1150
help

Got my Cybook. It works pretty good on Vista home premium 32 bit with mp6.1 beta. Cybook shows up as external storage and as Cybook. But no user guide shows on my device library.Also library only sorts by title.??????

C.F.Tall
cftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-08-2007, 10:31 AM   #33
CChris
CChris once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.CChris once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.CChris once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.CChris once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.CChris once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.CChris once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.CChris once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.CChris once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.CChris once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.CChris once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.CChris once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Simpad, HTC P4350, Cybook Gen3
Problems with Linux and XP; Solutions

Hi!

I have the same problems some of you have, so i tried some things and did mail everything to bookeen...

My results so far:
Linux:
The Cybook is not always recognized correctly
Solution: Reboot with Cybook already plugged in, and turned on...

XP:
With a clean install of Mobipocket Reader 6.1 (Beta-Version) the Cybook is recognised; i had no older versions of the Reader on this Computer

Bookeen recomended to charge the reader fully; this might help as well...

Chris
CChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 12:16 PM   #34
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pickle View Post
Does anyone know if they Cybook even has a clock in it? Could the problem be with DRM that triggers on times (library books for example)?
It would be hard to imagine any Linux system without a clock. It is inherent in the kernal of Unix to have a timer. Whether there is a clock display there is a clock mechanism that MobiPocket can get to.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 01:17 PM   #35
Pickle
Enthusiast
Pickle began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
It would be hard to imagine any Linux system without a clock. It is inherent in the kernal of Unix to have a timer. Whether there is a clock display there is a clock mechanism that MobiPocket can get to.

Dale
Dale, I meant a clock keeping track of date and time rather than processor cycles. Since there's no way to tell the Cybook what day it is and I know it didn't get the date from my linux machine as a mass storage device how is the time set? If it's set at the factory, what happens when the battery dies or is removed? If I'm just not seeing it in the menu then I apologize.
This is just wild speculation, but the Cybook doesn't seem to know what the date is and the library books are only unlocked from ex. 7 Nov to 21 Nov. The Cybook wouldn't know it was valid and "Not activated yet" would be a reasonable message.

Mike
Pickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-08-2007, 01:26 PM   #36
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Dale, I meant a clock keeping track of date and time rather than processor cycles. Since there's no way to tell the Cybook what day it is and I know it didn't get the date from my linux machine as a mass storage device how is the time set? If it's set at the factory, what happens when the battery dies or is removed? If I'm just not seeing it in the menu then I apologize.
This is just wild speculation, but the Cybook doesn't seem to know what the date is and the library books are only unlocked from ex. 7 Nov to 21 Nov. The Cybook wouldn't know it was valid and "Not activated yet" would be a reasonable message.

Mike
But Mobipocket uses a Processor ID to validate the user's device, not the time and date. So not a problem. Or so I would presume as I've never received a "Not activated yet" message.

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 01:26 PM   #37
bøø
bøø began at the beginning.

Device: Palm TX, Cybook Gen3
Not sure if this is the way it is supposed to work – but it does:-)

When I connect the Cybook and open the Mobipocket Reader the SD card shows as Removable Storage ( E: ) and the Cybook as Cybook Gen3 (F: ) I can send ebooks that don’t have drm to these devices. When I tried to send ebooks with drm, I was able to send, but not to open on the Cybook. I tried to register the Cybook the same way as my PDA – in reading devices. I never got further than “please connect your handheld device”.
I then registered the Cybooks PID at the Fictionwise, Ubiooks and Mobipocket stores and downloaded the ebooks again. I sent (in the mobipocket reader)the ebooks to the Cybook Gen3 (F: ) and am now able to open them
I’m still not able to register the Cybook as a reading device in Mobipocket reader
bøø is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 01:28 PM   #38
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bøø View Post
When I connect the Cybook and open the Mobipocket Reader the SD card shows as Removable Storage ( E: ) and the Cybook as Cybook Gen3 (F: ) I can send ebooks that don’t have drm to these devices. When I tried to send ebooks with drm, I was able to send, but not to open on the Cybook. I tried to register the Cybook the same way as my PDA – in reading devices. I never got further than “please connect your handheld device”.
I then registered the Cybooks PID at the Fictionwise, Ubiooks and Mobipocket stores and downloaded the ebooks again. I sent (in the mobipocket reader)the ebooks to the Cybook Gen3 (F: ) and am now able to open them
I’m still not able to register the Cybook as a reading device in Mobipocket reader

People have been having this problem. I believe Bookeen has been notified and is working on it.

The strangest thing is that I received the v1.0 update and put it on my engineering sample Cybook and have not had this problem at all on my WinXP machine. Strange indeed.
Derek

Last edited by delphidb96; 11-08-2007 at 01:29 PM. Reason: wanted to add comments
Old 11-08-2007, 01:43 PM   #39
Pickle
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by delphidb96 View Post
But Mobipocket uses a Processor ID to validate the user's device, not the time and date. So not a problem. Or so I would presume as I've never received a "Not activated yet" message.

Derek

Except for DRM protected library ebooks that are only unlocked for a 2-3 week stretch. They probably have a time component, unless they just trust us to delete it at the end of the loan period.

Mike
Old 11-08-2007, 02:02 PM   #40
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Except for DRM protected library ebooks that are only unlocked for a 2-3 week stretch. They probably have a time component, unless they just trust us to delete it at the end of the loan period.

Mike
The exact time and date can be computed from the unix time clock. It is reports the number of seconds from a fixed starting point and all unix systems know how to do this. I believe it was december 1969 but I could be wrong.

Dale
Old 11-08-2007, 02:14 PM   #41
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
The exact time and date can be computed from the unix time clock. It is reports the number of seconds from a fixed starting point and all unix systems know how to do this. I believe it was december 1969 but I could be wrong.

Dale
I suppose that Bookeen could have left the abiltiy to know what day it is out of the build but that would have been a bad over sight. Hopefully this is not the problem. The Windows version of MobiPocket should tag this from the library anyway since this is where the real checkout is performed. The book on the pc would expire.

Dale
Old 11-08-2007, 02:31 PM   #42
delphidb96
Wizard

Quote:

Mike
Hmmm... Since I don't bother checking out an *ebook* from a library, it's not a big deal to me. I figure if I'm going to read an ebook, I want to *own* that copy. It's not like the ebook is taking up a whole lot of shelf space and it's rather easy to burn the ebook to CD/DVD for storage offline.

Derek
Old 11-08-2007, 02:32 PM   #43
jbenny
Addict
jbenny has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jbenny has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jbenny has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jbenny has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Tablet PC and Nokia N800
Quote:
I suppose that Bookeen could have left the abiltiy to know what day it is out of the build but that would have been a bad over sight. Hopefully this is not the problem. The Windows version of MobiPocket should tag this from the library anyway since this is where the real checkout is performed. The book on the pc would expire.

Dale
Since most desktop computers these days are setup to sync to a time server, perhaps Bookeen should add the ability to sync the Cybook to the desktop when it is plugged into the USB port. Windows-based PDAs have done this for years. I don't know if Palm-bases one do or not. This time syncing with the desktop should be an option that the user can enable or disable.
jbenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 02:41 PM   #44
Pickle
Enthusiast

Dale, I know how unix time works. There's still no way to set/adjust the time on the Cybook which makes me wonder if it's keeping track of date and time at all. Maybe it gets it from mobipocket's windows software, but that's spotty for now at best.
I'm using Linux and my wife's laptop didn't take the 6.0 -> 6.1 beta when I tried it, so I can't say for sure if the "Not active yet" issue goes away when the Cybook is recognized as a reader.

Derek, I don't necessarily intend to get lots of ebooks from the library instead of the store either, but having more options is always a good thing. And since it was my first attempt at using the Cybook for DRM encrypted books I was rather disappointed that it didn't work.
Old 11-08-2007, 02:45 PM   #45
delphidb96
Wizard

Quote:
Dale, I know how unix time works. There's still no way to set/adjust the time on the Cybook which makes me wonder if it's keeping track of date and time at all. Maybe it gets it from mobipocket's windows software, but that's spotty for now at best.
I'm using Linux and my wife's laptop didn't take the 6.0 -> 6.1 beta when I tried it, so I can't say for sure if the "Not active yet" issue goes away when the Cybook is recognized as a reader.

Derek, I don't necessarily intend to get lots of ebooks from the library instead of the store either, but having more options is always a good thing. And since it was my first attempt at using the Cybook for DRM encrypted books I was rather disappointed that it didn't work.
But that's not the fault of Cybook. Rather it's the fault of the library for adding complexity to the already-to-be-despised DRM!!!!

Derek