Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 06-04-2007, 11:15 PM   #1
Rocketime
Zealot
Rocketime has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rocketime has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rocketime has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rocketime has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rocketime has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle/Nook Color/NST/Acer Iconica
Almost jumped in

Have been reading everything about the Sony reader I can find lately. When I first started reading, I was pretty sure I wasn't goig to buy it. Then I started reading this forum and all the positive input convinced me to buy. I have been uisng a Palm T/X which has worked but I'm looking for a bigger display.

So I Drove to Fry's today all fired up to buy the Reader. They had one on display which allowed me to play with it. I was shocked how much I was disappointed in the screen. It was not the best lighting and I'm sure that had an effect but I did expect better. It looked slightly gray and the contrast of the lettering and back ground was less than I expected. All the reviews have been positive about the screen, in fact most have described it as awesome.

What am I missing? Is it the fact I'm overly used to my Palm's back light that is clouding my reaction to the Sony Reader? Has the back light spoiled me?

I love the concept and after discovering how many web sites offer books, I'm confused because it is well worth the price.

Help! What am I missing????
Rocketime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 11:59 PM   #2
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
I saw one at a Fry's in Arlington, TX that had perfectly lousy contrast on the screen, and one of the Fry's in Houston, was displaying a unit that had not so great contrast. After your comments, Rocketime, I'm wondering if they're doing something that affects it somehow.

Do you have a SonyStyle store anywhere near you? The ones I've seen there have all been pretty representative of what I get from my own Reader. Or you might try one of the other chains that carry them. I don't know how feasible that is for you where you are though ....
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-05-2007, 12:08 AM   #3
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Welcome to MobileRead Rocketime. Glad to have you here.

If your Fry's is like the one I visited in Fountain Valley, CA I am surprised that you could see the Reader at all. You almost needed a lamp on your head to see the products.

Your reaction is not wrong. In dim light the screen is hard to read -- even when you enlarge the font. Have you been spoiled by the backlight of your Palm, yes but only in the brightness of the screen. When you have a good light source the Sony Reader provides a superior reading experience to every Palm I have ever seen. You will never be able to use the Sony to read at a concert (as a friend of mine does on his Palm.)

As the quality of the light increases the contrast of the screen also increases. There are several clip-on lights that people have used that will allow you to read in almost any situation. I find the overhead light in an airplane perfect for reading the Sony. At home I read in the same chair using the same lamp that I do for normal books. The Reader will also perform wonderfully in bright sun, something I have never been able to do with any backlit screen device.

I suggest that you try to find one in a place with reasonable lighting where you can properly evaluate it. I suspect that the Fry's you visited was not the best place to show off the Reader's capabilities.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 06:36 AM   #4
dhbailey
Guru
dhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enough

Device: HP iPAQ211 / PRS 500, 700 and 505
Regarding your comment comparing the eReader to your Palm, yes, it is quite different. The Palm is LED and the eReader isn't, and it isn't even backlit or sidelit at all, so you need some other light source. Room light, sunlight or booklight. With that said, I find that I can read my eReader much longer than my Palm before eye fatigue sets in.

The grayness of the background is actually a bonus, once you realize it's not vivid black letters on a bright white background. It is much more gentle on the eyes and the screen doesn't reflect back its surroundings.

But it is different. And I find it quite wonderful.

My advice is to buy it from a store where they accept returns, get it home, charge it up without even installing any of the software and try reading what comes pre-installed on it, in the typical reading situations in which you find yourself.

I think you'll like it. I know I won't be parted from mine and if it ever needs to be repaired I'll be buying a second one so I can keep on reading!
dhbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 08:32 AM   #5
LBalsam
LBalsam began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
Light Makes a Big Difference

My computer club gave a presentation on the Reader recently and I went around the audience when the lights were low to let people see the screen. Everyone I showed it to was disappointed by the contrast.

When we brought up the lights I showed the Reader to some of the same people and they were stunned. They loved it.

I think we are so used to electronics glowing, that we expect them to look good no matter what the light. The Reader needs good room lighting or a clip on light.

Because it is not backlit the battery life is much better than a lit device.

I suggest the comparison should be to a book, not to a Palm or laptop. The advantage over a book, is that you can enlarge the fonts.
LBalsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-05-2007, 08:43 AM   #6
athlonkmf
Guru
athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, Sony PRS-505, Kindle 3, Sony PRS350, iPad 64GB
could it be that they're showing some oversized PDF? I've noticed that when I merel throw in some PDF to read, the contrast is far worse than LRF-files
athlonkmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 08:48 AM   #7
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
All of the above.

And notice also that power drain is the smallest I've ever seen anywhere.

I had the same reservations you did until I tried it in full sunlight. It is the only device that works there.

Just find adequate lighting, for ex. an articulated lamp with a CF bulb or one with multiple LEDs, and you won't notice the lack of contrast.

I've read yellowish paper that had smeared ink with the back page seeping through that was much more difficult to read.

All in all it's a fantastic machine! Of course the technology could use bettering but it's a good first. Just take a look at your first LCD watch and compare it to your T3.
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 09:05 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by yvanleterrible View Post
I had the same reservations you did until I tried it in full sunlight. It is the only device that works there.
Not entirely true. "Transflective" LCD displays, such as that on my HP iPaq, are superb in full daylight. Now, though, having become used to the Reader, reading on the iPaq is like reading on a postage stamp .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 10:42 AM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
You can also go to a Borders to have a look at the Sony Reader and see if that is any better. But seriously, the screen is not meant to be harsh. That is why the contrast is not a much as your palm. Once you really get into reading with the Sony, and then go back to the palm, you will find the palm kind of harsh.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 10:43 AM   #10
Rocketime
Zealot
Rocketime has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rocketime has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rocketime has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rocketime has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rocketime has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Thanks to all for the helpful suggestions to my reservations.

I believe I did not give the Sony Reader the benefit of the doubt while at Fry’s. The display was set up behind a large flat screen monitor and the cable attached did not allow me to move it out of the way of the shadows of the screen. Like most Calif. Merchants, Fry’s keeps lighting to a minimum to reduce energy cost. I like the idea of buying it, charging the battery and testing it in actual environments that I plan on using it in. Fry’s has a 15 day return policy. They are a bit difficult when it comes to returns (they make you feel like a criminal when you return something) but it will be worth the hassles.

I travel for a living (sales) and this device would be ideal for me. I’m always on the lookout for boredom fighting gizmos for my trips. I’m not one to always have my nose in a book but when I want to read, I’d like the convenience of having it available. This forum has provided the best insight into the reality of investing in this machine. I truly understand the value here. The cost is a mere pittance compared to the advantages of online book sharing and the convenience of having your entire library at your finger tips no matter where you are.

I’m on my way to Fry’s.
Old 06-05-2007, 12:14 PM   #11
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Hey, since it's for business travel, can you get a tax deduction on it? :rolleyes2
Old 06-05-2007, 12:53 PM   #12
Rocketime
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh View Post
Hey, since it's for business travel, can you get a tax deduction on it? :rolleyes2
Funny you should ask. My first thought is no tax deduction. Then my brain kicked in and I started thinking about being able to load PDF's and word docs. If I load my literature onto PDF's, I can use it as a show and tell for presentation purposes thus it could be construed as a work tool much the same way a computer, printer or fax machine are. I wouldn't actually use it for that as everything is color but the fact that it is capable and thus qualifies, I think I could write it off. Maybe we have a tax expert on the forum that could advise on this matter.
Old 06-05-2007, 04:46 PM   #13
dhbailey
Guru
dhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enough

Device: HP iPAQ211 / PRS 500, 700 and 505
I'm a self-employed music teacher and instrument repairman and I've loaded some music textbooks and history books and theory books on mine and am planning on deducting it as a business expense.

Tax expert? no, but I've read up a lot and I can certainly justify this as an adjunct to my business.
dhbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 08:45 PM   #14
Rocketime
Zealot

Hi All,

Picked up my reader today. Went to a different Fry's with much better (normal) lighting and yes, what a difference a little light can make.

Rwood was right. I saw the first one at Fountain Valley, CA and their lighting is like being there at night without any lights on. I traveled down to San Marcos, CA and saw one in good light. I was sold as soon as I fired up the demo.

I bought their extended full replacement warranty at $29 for 2 years, . Was that a mistake? I see Sony's warranty only covers labor for 90 days. I thought $15 per year was pretty cheap for full coverage.

I'm charging the battery. How long for the first charge? Any advise for iinstalling the Connect software? Or is it pretty straight forward?

Thanks again for all the help. I wouldn't have bought it wihout all the friendly help I received here.
Old 06-05-2007, 08:57 PM   #15
NatCh
Gizmologist

The warranty thing seems to be largely a matter of opinion, so if you're happy with it, don't let someone else talk you out of it. Certainly you'll be happy with it if it happens that you end up needing it.

I'd let the thing charge until the charge light above the power slider goes out.

Installing the ConnSoft is pretty straightforward as long as you aren't using the 64 bit incarnation of Vista.

Glad we could be of help, and I hope you'll enjoy yours as much as I've enjoyed my own. Stick around, there's still a lot of good stuff going on around here.