Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 11-06-2009, 03:27 PM   #1
Sonist
Apeist
Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Generic virtual reality story-experiential device
MPAA Wants Congress to ‘Encourage’ 3 Strikes, Filtering

It all started in France....

"The Motion Picture Association of America wants Congress to “encourage” internet providers to filter out pirated movies, and to punish customers who repeatedly engage in piracy with a “graduated response” that might include disconnection from the net. ....

READ MORE "
Sonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 03:41 PM   #2
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
actually, it started in New Zealand :

Quote:
New Zealand First to Adopt 3-Strikes Law for Pirates
Written by Ben Jones on October 17, 2008
New Zealand is known for sheep, rugby, and dramatic filming locations. However, it will also be known for being the first place in the world with a 3-strikes law for copyright infringement. The Copyright Amendment Act 2008 gained royal assent earlier this year, and goes into effect at the end of February 2009. Opposition to this bill, despite being signed into law, is still growing though.
Britain also has enacted a similar law.

(sorry, i just really don't want france to be remembered as the first country to enact such a backwards and abusive legislation. it's bad enough just to be one of the group).

this is a sorry state of affairs in the world currently, i have to say.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 05:19 PM   #3
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
not that there are any of us here to worry our little heads ....
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 05:31 PM   #4
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
actually, it started in New Zealand :

Britain also has enacted a similar law.

(sorry, i just really don't want france to be remembered as the first country to enact such a backwards and abusive legislation. it's bad enough just to be one of the group).

Yes, but France invented the fix. I've got dibs on the seat by the tumbrel....
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 05:34 PM   #5
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffC View Post
not that there are any of us here to worry our little heads ....
really ? personally i begin to feel very worried when governments begin to put corporate interests ahead of civil liberties, personal privacy, due process...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Sir Edward View Post
Yes, but France invented the fix. I've got dibs on the seat by the tumbrel....
i'm against violence on principle, but don't tempt me.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 05:38 PM   #6
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Coffin
Seems like the best time to post this clip from a film that was made 33 years ago, but still rings true today.

Moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 03:33 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
Wrong. Britain is discussing such a law. Nothing has been "enacted", and the government has specifically said that disconnection would be a "measure of last resort", and done only as the result of a court order.

Quote:
If you repeatedly commit driving offences, you will, at some point, be banned from driving a car for a limited period. I personally see no difference between this and that fact that, if you persistently infringe copyright law by downloading illegal material, and ignore multiple warnings to stop doing so, then you will, after a due process of law, be cut off for a limited period. It's the "due process of law" that's the important part, and the proposed British law will have that. The same law will, by the way, liberalise many aspects of current UK law, and for the first time make it legal to rip your own CDs to a computer, lend them to your friends, make a copy for use in your car, and many other things which are currently illegal in the UK.

Last edited by HarryT; 11-07-2009 at 04:00 AM.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 04:22 AM   #8
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
If you repeatedly commit driving offences, you will, at some point, be banned from driving a car for a limited period. I personally see no difference between this and that fact that, if you persistently infringe copyright law by downloading illegal material, and ignore multiple warnings to stop doing so, then you will, after a due process of law, be cut off for a limited period.
My torent app don't run for anything much than download linux... I still hate this law. I don't want my Internet connexion shut down because someone spoofed my ip / added it to a torrent tracker to hide stuff. How do i prove i've done noting wrong ? I can't. No more than they can prove i've done anything.
There are to many risks of errors. And my ISP should not give my personal data to ANYONE.

Solution to piracy is simple : make sure the legal offer is affordable, easy to use, better quality than the illegal offer.
The day drm and regional restriction are gone, we would have done a big step in that direction.

Quote:
really ? personally i begin to feel very worried when governments begin to put corporate interests ahead of civil liberties, personal privacy, due process...
That's more like the problem.

Last edited by EowynCarter; 11-07-2009 at 04:31 AM.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 04:29 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EowynCarter View Post
There us to many risks of errors. And my ISP should not give my personal data to ANYONE.
There are risks of miscarriages of justice with any law. Is that a valid argument not to punish criminals?

What do you think should be done to people who persistantly illegally download material and ignore repeated warnings not to do so?
Old 11-07-2009, 04:41 AM   #10
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
What do you think should be done to people who persistantly illegally download material and ignore repeated warnings not to do so?
Propose a decent legal offer ?
When TV shows are aired in France years after the US, if at all, why be surprised ?
Thing like Hulu (ie ads supported streaming), is an other way to go. But Hulu is US only.

Not that long ago, amazon and the fnac when proposing mp3. So went went buying some music. When drm where there, no way ! Buying CD ? Usually ended up by "20 euro for a cd ? no go !". Because we don't need music or film, we're more exigent toward price or quality. You can't force people to buy stuff they don't need. Rather that sending their (potential) customers to court, they should ask themselves that one question "what's wrong with the product I'm proposing ?".

And sending you customers to court never was a good commercial strategy...

Last edited by EowynCarter; 11-07-2009 at 04:51 AM.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 04:44 AM   #11
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by EowynCarter View Post
Propose a decent legal offer ?

surely people who are persistently downloading material illegally despite warnings are beyond decency ...

...and then the post gets edited...
Programs from the US always take a year or three to cross the large body of water; as they do in the other direction.

Last edited by GeoffC; 11-07-2009 at 04:46 AM.
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 04:48 AM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

The argument often posed by pirates themselves is "I would never have bought it, so nobody's lost anything". That appears to suggest that there many people who would not buy things, no matter how cheaply they were priced.
Old 11-07-2009, 01:23 PM   #13
Krystian Galaj
Guru
Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Bookeen Cybook
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The argument often posed by pirates themselves is "I would never have bought it, so nobody's lost anything". That appears to suggest that there many people who would not buy things, no matter how cheaply they were priced.
I belive they only believe they wouldn't buy it anyway, and when presented with an option to watch/read/listen to/use in a second, as opposed to searching it out on pirate networks, they would just click.
Krystian Galaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 02:40 PM   #14
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Quote:
Britain is discussing such a law.
One of Peter Mandelson's bright ideas; he appears to have picked it up on a freebie holiday with some wealthy chums. All open and above board I'm sure; in no way should this be misconstrued as British government policy for sale. Peter Mandelson is an honest politician!

http://technology.timesonline.co.uk/...cle6797844.ece
"Lord Mandelson, the business secretary, ordered officials to draw up draconian regulations on internet piracy just days after he had a private dinner with a Hollywood mogul who is a critic of illegal file-sharing. ...The business secretary’s intervention comes after a meeting last weekend with David Geffen, the billionaire producer who co-founded the DreamWorks studio with Steven Spielberg.
Mandelson and Geffen dined on August 7 with members of the Rothschild banking dynasty at the family’s holiday villa on the Greek island of Corfu."
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 04:11 PM   #15
Dylrob
Murderous Mustela
Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad M1 Pro, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
That's the problem right there: The various media industries justify pushing these sort of things by claiming they have lost sales to piracy. But how do you lose a sale on someone who was never going to buy to begin with?
Dylrob is offline   Reply With Quote