Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 08-17-2009, 06:40 AM   #346
b0ned0me
Connoisseur
b0ned0me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.b0ned0me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.b0ned0me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.b0ned0me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.b0ned0me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.b0ned0me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.b0ned0me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.b0ned0me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.b0ned0me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.b0ned0me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.b0ned0me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: prs 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahi View Post
Beautiful books are becoming increasing quick and simple to create.
Really? How long would it take you to knock together something like this?http://frmarkdwhite.files.wordpress....ated-bible.jpg
Personally I don't think getting the kerning, hyphenation, referencing and layout of graphic elements right in a textbook or whatever makes it 'beautiful'. It makes it professional and non-offensive, and it seems to be a step too far for a lot of publishers these days. How many books nowadays are hand-optimised page by page? Most of them look like they were dumped straight out of a word-processor or DTP package into the printer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahi View Post
Oh... and where you say "usual mediocre-quality physical book" leaves me confused. Are you not aware that 99.9% of physical books are, typographically, far higher quality than reflow formats can possibly achieve?
- Ahi
Well, I've read a lot of books and I think I can say with my hand on my heart that I've never been reading a book and thought "wow! This typography sure is nice". On the other hand, I've had plenty of moments of annoyance due to poor quality. Physical books nowadays sometimes include such delights as homonyms, typos(!), incorrectly referenced comments, charts/illustrations in the wrong place, and I've even seen entire paragraphs of text repeated or in the wrong place. You obviously take pride in your work and are employed by an organisation that is prepared to invest in order to produce a professional level of quality (you lucky dog!). However many of the books I've bought recently were printed on poor quality paper, with smudgy ink and flimsy spines, and some were clearly released without the benefit of a spell-check, let alone decent proof-reading/editing. If I'm going to have to put up with that, I may as well save some cubic metres of storage space and have it in e-form.

Given that people can't afford (or be bothered) to make the most of a well-established format like printed paper, it seems reasonable to assume that they won't make full use of the capabilities of e-formats. If editing and proof-reading is sometimes too much trouble these days, its likely that painstaking text layout is going to be even further down the priority list.

I'm sure PDF is a better layout for presenting publications than most alternatives, but if 99% of e-books are only using a tiny subset of the capabilities of any format, who cares? The limitation is more likely to be the ability of the person producing the book, or whether the various hardware and software readers can render it adequately (or even consistently) than the format itself. That, and the economics of selling enough copies to justify the effort are IMO the real challenges at the moment, not the further reaches of the 'format features' checklist.

Given the choice between an all-ePub mass market tomorrow or a continuation of the current format war in a teacup, I'd prefer the former. I honestly don't care whether the world settles on ePub, PDF, MOBI or whatever, so long as it gets us away from the constant fretting about incompatability and technical glitches as soon as possible. Then we might actually get the publishers paying some real attention to getting more ebooks out there, and maybe even to the quality and pricing of what they produce.
b0ned0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 08:12 AM   #347
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ned0me View Post
Well, I've read a lot of books and I think I can say with my hand on my heart that I've never been reading a book and thought "wow!This typography sure is nice"
If you do not notice anything than the typography (silent) is very good.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 08:19 AM   #348
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
I'm with b0ned0me in that I often notice bad typography in printed books. Not only bad printing, but bad hyphenation, wrong choice of characters (dashes, hyphens), absence of ligatures (clash in "fi" or "fl"), wrong letters or combinations ("ø" as a combination of "o" and "/", which noticeably do not match, an up-down "e"), etc.

Books can be nice works of art, but most books are not.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 08:29 AM   #349
Abecedary
Exwyzeeologist
Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: :PRS-505::iPod touch:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
I'm with b0ned0me in that I often notice bad typography in printed books. Not only bad printing, but bad hyphenation, wrong choice of characters (dashes, hyphens), absence of ligatures (clash in "fi" or "fl"), wrong letters or combinations ("ø" as a combination of "o" and "/", which noticeably do not match, an up-down "e"), etc.

Books can be nice works of art, but most books are not.
When given a choice between different editions of books, I'll check to see if there is a colophon (actually, I check most books I buy anyways). While it may not necessarily mean that the utmost care was taken when designing the book, it's almost always a sign that someone was paying some attention during the design/layout process.
Abecedary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 12:57 PM   #350
DawnFalcon
Banned
DawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with others

Device: N/A
To me it's a question of utility. If something does what I want, then it's simply worth more than something which is less flexible. If I'm going to be printing something, then sure PDF is great, but if I'm going to be reading it (and I have a desktop, a laptop and an ancient tablet PC) then a reflow format is litterally worth more to be than the PDF.

Admitedly I read mostly HTML and from Baen at present, but...
DawnFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 11:51 AM   #351
Tattncat
Bookworm
Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Tablet, Samsung Galaxy Tab3, Sony PRS700, Sony PRS505
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazbates View Post
Same here!! I would appreciate it greatly!
Me too!
Tattncat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 11:53 AM   #352
Tattncat
Bookworm
Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Tablet, Samsung Galaxy Tab3, Sony PRS700, Sony PRS505
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazbates View Post
Same here!! I would appreciate it greatly!
Quote:
Originally Posted by DojoPat View Post
Can someone PM with info on the scripts needed to liberate EPUB documents for my own personal use only? I have python installed on my PC already.
Me too!
Tattncat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 01:31 PM   #353
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tattncat View Post
Me too!
The scripts are called ineptkey.pyw and ineptepub.pyw.

Yahoo does a better job searching pastebin that Google (say) does.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 01:32 PM   #354
hmgreen
Enthusiast
hmgreen began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505, -600, -900, Kindle 2, Touch, PW1 (all gone), PW2, Voyage
So I am confused. A lot of the concern re: LRF is for the PRS-500. 3 (maybe 4)questions:

1. Will the PRS 505 support both LRF and ePub? I have bought a LOT of LRF-formatted books from the Sony site in the past 2 years for my 505. I would hate for them to be reduced to worthless bits and bytes for the hundreds I have spent or have to redownload all of them after deleteing them from both the computer and the Reader.

2. If it doesn't support them as is, will Sony provide an update that allows both LRF and ePub to be read on the 505?

3. Will the new PRS-600 (which has more capacity and a touch screen without (presumaly) the horrible resolution of the PRS-700) support both formats? (BTW - from a storage perspective which format take more space for the same book - LRF or ePub?).

4. Does anyone know for sure what the answers to the above are - has Sony committed one way or the other?

Thanks.
hmgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 01:38 PM   #355
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmgreen View Post
1. Will the PRS 505 support both LRF and ePub?

3. Will the new PRS-600 (which has more capacity and a touch screen without (presumaly) the horrible resolution of the PRS-700) support both formats?
1. The PRS-505 already supports LRX (BBeB) and Adobe ePub.

3. The PRS-600 will also support both formats. See Sony Style: Reader Touch Edition

The only major unknown is how Sony intends to support the migration from LRX to ePub on the older PRS-500.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 01:39 PM   #356
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
So far, no word has been announced as to if support for LRF (and thus the DRMed LRX variety), has been dropped. You will be able to redownload all books purchased through the Sony store, but I doubt that you'll be required to delete the LRX books first (I've accidentally downloaded multiple copies of the same book before from Sony).

Current firmware for the 505 DOES support both LRF and ePub. ePub support was added a while back.
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 01:39 PM   #357
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
hmgreen- considering that the ePubs aren't going to come until later this year and the new devices are coming later this month, then I feel safe saying the new devices will support LRF and LRX. Currently the 505 can do both.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 02:41 PM   #358
hmgreen
Enthusiast
hmgreen began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505, -600, -900, Kindle 2, Touch, PW1 (all gone), PW2, Voyage
Thanks, everyone!
hmgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 05:14 PM   #359
formerroadie
Bada Bing
formerroadie will become famous soon enoughformerroadie will become famous soon enoughformerroadie will become famous soon enoughformerroadie will become famous soon enoughformerroadie will become famous soon enoughformerroadie will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony Reader PRS-600
Well, I'm glad I pre-ordered a PRS600 for my first reader! While I am sooooo not up on the terminology, I will catch up with the learning curve eventually.
formerroadie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 11:04 PM   #360
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
I don't know if this has been reported yet (this thread is too long to go through every post), but I just had an online chat with a Sony service representative and she confirmed that all books purchased in LRX format can be re-downloaded in EPub after the switch. Way to go Sony, shows your serious about making that bookstore a success.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote