Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 07-10-2010, 12:23 PM   #1
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Sony collection management changes in calibre 0.7.9

If you have not changed the default value of the "Preserve User Collections" check box found in Preferences -> Add/Save -> Sending to device (the default is 'checked'), then you do not need to continue reading this post.

At the moment, this post applies only to Sony devices, because they have collections and the possibility of setting metadata outside of books. If you do not have a Sony, you do not need to read further. Note: other smart devices, such as iTunes, the Kobo, or readers on Android, may eventually use this option (or not).

Calibre 0.7.9 provides three choices for how metadata is sent to a device, instead of today's two. The checkbox 'Preserve user collections' is gone, replaced by a drop-down box offering the three choices. Even though we are a week away from the release of 0.7.9, I am posting this now so that any users who run from source are aware of the change.

The three choices are:

1) Manual management. This is the default. When a book is sent, calibre will update that book's metadata and add the book to any new collections indicated by combination of book metadata and 'build collections from' in device customization. Calibre will never remove a book from a collection. This choice's behavior is the same as 0.7.8 when 'Preserve User Collections' is checked.

2) Only on send. If you select this option, when you send a book, calibre will update metadata and collections for that book. On send, calibre will add and remove the book from collections as indicated by the metadata and device customization. Collections will be deleted on send. Manual editing of collections is not allowed. This choice is the same as 0.7.8 when 'Preserve Device Collections' is unchecked.

Note: if you have unchecked the preference in 0.7.8 or earlier, then after upgrading to 0.7.9 you must change the option again. The option reverts to the default, #1, when you upgrade from 0.7.8 or earlier to 0.7.9 or later.

3) Automatic management. Selecting this option tells calibre to update metadata and collections at the point the device is connected and when a book is sent. When calibre detects the device and generates the list of books on the device, it will send metadata to the device for all books on the device that are in the library (On device is True). On connect, calibre will add and remove books from collections as indicated by the metadata and device customization. Manual editing of collections is not allowed. Collections will be deleted on connect.

If you choose #2 or #3, Calibre will add and delete collections based on a book's metadata and the current settings for collection building in device customization. There is no undo. Calibre will not ask you for permission. Do not change the preference from the default if you don't want calibre to delete collections.

If you choose option #3, the changes will happen when you connect. Changes are sent at when the device is recognized. Further changes in the library after connection will not be sent until either you disconnect and reconnect, or you send a book to the device.

If you use multiple installations of calibre to manage a device, option #3 is probably not what you want. A connection will reset the metadata to what is in the current library. Connecting to the other library will reset the metadata to what is in that library. Metadata in books found in both libraries will be flopped back and forth.

Rationale: I added option #3 because that is how I want calibre to behave for me. I want my collections to reflect the metadata in the library, without having to send a book. If I change tags, series, a title, or authors in the library, I want my Sony to show those changes, without me needing to send a book. I want changes to happen without me being required to remember what what I changed. I want to send a book only when the book changes, not when the metadata changes. If you don't share my preferences, then don't choose option 3.

If you are going to experiment, you should create a backup of your device library. Copy everything from main memory and the cards.

My apologies for what might be construed as defensiveness in this post. I am trying to avoid unhappy surprises for users. We have had enough of these.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 07:31 PM   #2
Clancy_s
Zealot
Clancy_s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Clancy_s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Clancy_s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Clancy_s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Clancy_s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Clancy_s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Clancy_s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Clancy_s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Clancy_s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Clancy_s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Clancy_s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
#3 sounds like the ideal option to me.
Clancy_s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 07:59 PM   #3
banjomike
Addict
banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505,DSlibris,nook Glow & Simple & HD+,Tab S2,Moon+,Kobo Clara
So with option 3 when I connect my Sony, if I edit and re-convert a book in Calibre it will update the metadata on the Sony of the OLD version of the book that is currently on the Sony and then I will still have to send the book to the Sony. Am I reading that right?
banjomike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 04:54 AM   #4
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
So with option 3 when I connect my Sony, if I edit and re-convert a book in Calibre it will update the metadata on the Sony of the OLD version of the book that is currently on the Sony and then I will still have to send the book to the Sony. Am I reading that right?
I am not sure I understand the sequence you are considering. I see two possibilities:

Possibility 1: editing and sending metadata

Re-converting a book has no effect on the process. Editing the metadata before the reconversion is the event of interest.

1) If you edit the metadata when the device is not connected, then the new metadata will be sent to the Sony in the first few seconds of the connection. Note that 'On Device' must be true for metadata to be sent.

2) If you edit the metadata while the device is connected, then the metadata is sent if/when you send the book.

3) If after case 2 you disconnect and reconnect, then we revert to case 1; the updated metadata will be sent to the device during the connection handshake.

The automatic metadata send happens once, in the first few seconds after the device is recognized. From that point on (while the device is connected), the behavior is the same as option 2 ('only on send').

Possibility 2: you want to 'sync' books as well as metadata.

If what you want is to have the reconverted book on your sony (such as when you update the cover), then yes, you must resend the book. The current automatic process does not ever change the book (more accurately, the file representing the book) on the Sony. It changes sony's database and calibre's cache.

The reason that books are not sent is performance. At the moment, I cannot tell with any accuracy if a book has changed, so I would be required to send all of them. I am not willing to pay the performance hit for that. If and when we have a way to know that the book in the library is newer than the book on the device, I will either change the processing behind the third option or add a fourth option, 'automatic with send' (or some such). Kovid and I have talked about adding the required information, but we haven't yet found a way to do it right (that is, cover all the change cases) without visibly impacting calibre's performance.
Old 07-11-2010, 07:29 AM   #5
banjomike
Addict
banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505,DSlibris,nook Glow & Simple & HD+,Tab S2,Moon+,Kobo Clara
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
I am not sure I understand the sequence you are considering.
I tend to batch up my text editing, tag changing etc and do it all it in a lump every few weeks. Usually when the Sony needs charging. So I will edit the text of a book in the original odt, add or change a tag or series in Calibre, convert the new improved version of the book in Calibre, and then connect the Sony to charge and to add books etc. So I was thinking that Calibre would spot that the tags etc have changed on a book and update the tags on the Sony thereby causing the old book to have the new tags until the book itself is manually resent. Not a great problem but I thought I would clarify the situation.

Quote:
If and when we have a way to know that the book in the library is newer than the book on the device, I will either change the processing behind the third option or add a fourth option, 'automatic with send' (or some such).
If a book in my library is newer than the book on my Sony it is often due to the fact that I like to play with the conversion especially when trying to get dropcaps, images, and such to look good. I DEFINITELY would worry about an option that automatically updated a book merely because it was 'newer'.

Newer can equal testing.
banjomike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 01:41 PM   #6
danwdoo
Groupie
danwdoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danwdoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danwdoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danwdoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danwdoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danwdoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danwdoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danwdoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danwdoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danwdoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danwdoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Just to help me wrap my head around this new setting,
If I have a collection on the reader with only one book in it, and I delete the book on the reader, using the reader, what effect would each setting have on everything. Calibre used to delete the empty category which is what I want. Which setting would emulate this behavior?

Thanks!
Danny
danwdoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 03:06 PM   #7
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by danwdoo View Post
If I have a collection on the reader with only one book in it, and I delete the book on the reader, using the reader, what effect would each setting have on everything. Calibre used to delete the empty category which is what I want. Which setting would emulate this behavior?
Calibre has no role in this scenario. When you delete a book using the reader, the reader also cleans the collections. Calibre does notice that the book went away, but nothing further is done regardless of the setting of the option.
Old 07-13-2010, 11:29 PM   #8
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Calibre has no role in this scenario. When you delete a book using the reader, the reader also cleans the collections. Calibre does notice that the book went away, but nothing further is done regardless of the setting of the option.
I too wondered about this question.

The slight confusion comes from the fact that the collection doesn't don't go away as soon as you delete the last book.

It doesn't go away until you connect then disconnect from the computer. Most folks do this when using calibre so it looks as if calibre cleaned the collection off of our device for us. Since you said this is not the case the collection must disappear on disconnect when the Sony device looks to determine what books/collections still exist.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 01:14 AM   #9
danwdoo
Groupie
danwdoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danwdoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danwdoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danwdoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danwdoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danwdoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danwdoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danwdoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danwdoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danwdoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danwdoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Ah, that explains the delay I always saw so I did just assume it was Calibre deleting the collection. In this case then option 3 looks like the one for me!

Thanks a bunch!
Old 07-14-2010, 04:26 AM   #10
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I should learn to do the experiments before I speak.

At least for my PRS-300, neither dwanthny nor I were completely accurate.

Scenario 1: I delete a book using the device. At the point of deletion, the reader removes the book from the database, which includes removing it from all collections. However, it does not remove any now-empty collections. Plugging in and unplugging the device without using calibre or Sony desktop sw doesn't change the database. Empty collections are still there.

Scenario 2: I plug in the device, but don't permit calibre or the Sony desktop sw to connect. I delete a book using a file manager, then unplug the device. The reader scans for changes, detects the book is gone, then does the same as in scenario 1.

Scenario 3: I have done either of scenario 1 or 2, then connect the device and let calibre open it. During calibre's initial 'handshake' with the device, calibre verifies that its list of books (we aren't yet looking at the library, just the device) is correct. It will notice that a book file is now gone, then repair broken collections (collections that reference non-existent books) and delete any empty collections. This processing is independent of the management option.

Scenario 4: I plug in the device without calibre or Sony desktop sw running. Like scenario 2, I use a file explorer to delete a book. I then start calibre without unplugging the device. Calibre proceeds as in scenario 3, noticing the missing book file and repairing collections. Quit calibre without unplugging the device. At this point we have almost the same situation as scenario 2; there is a book in the reader's database that no longer exists in the reader's memory, but calibre has already cleaned the collections. Unplug the device. The reader SW will discover that the book is missing and remove it from it's database.

What the experiments show is that (for my 300) the reader and calibre cooperate to produce a clean reader database. Both calibre and the reader will remove missing books from a collection. Calibre removes empty collections. The reader cleans missing books from its database.
Old 07-14-2010, 04:34 AM   #11
danwdoo
Groupie

Very interesting stuff. I assume it will probably be the same on my 505. It was my original assumption, but I never spent any real time verifying it.
Old 07-14-2010, 04:47 AM   #12
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
At least for my PRS-300, neither dwanthny nor I were completely accurate.

What the experiments show is that (for my 300) the reader and calibre cooperate to produce a clean reader database. Both calibre and the reader will remove missing books from a collection. Calibre removes empty collections. The reader cleans missing books from its database.
Nice to know.

I was just making wild (educated?) guesses based on my experiences and your expert opinion.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 11:41 PM   #13
slantybard
my parent's oops...
slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Vx->Handera->Clie-> Axim->505->650->KPW/Aura ->iOS/L2
I am sooooo excited about this. One question I have is whether I will have to delete all the books off of my 505 before this works properly after I upgrade from 0.6.54 since upgrading in the past has occasionally required deletion of the entire device library for book metadata system to work properly (ie - after upgrading in the past, sometimes changes to a books metadata and resending caused book duplication instead of overwriting)
slantybard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 06:27 AM   #14
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by slantybard View Post
I am sooooo excited about this. One question I have is whether I will have to delete all the books off of my 505 before this works properly after I upgrade from 0.6.54 since upgrading in the past has occasionally required deletion of the entire device library for book metadata system to work properly (ie - after upgrading in the past, sometimes changes to a books metadata and resending caused book duplication instead of overwriting)
It is hard to say with certainty, but I doubt that a full delete and rebuild will be required. My niggling concern is matching books in calibre's library with those found on the sony. If the metadata for the book on the device does not match calibre's metadata, then the book might not be recognized as matching. (Sorry about the 'might', but matching is complicated.)

I suggest that you do the following:
1) upgrade calibre. Don't change any metadata.
2) leave the management option at the default 'manual management'
3) plug in your sony. Because this is the first connection after the upgrade, calibre will take some time (can be minutes, depending on the number of books) to get the metadata for the books on the device.
4) Check your collections to ensure that they reflect calibre's metadata, and (important) that there aren't any manually-added collections. I interpret your message as saying that you will switch to automatic management, and once you do that, calibre will delete any collections that do not correspond to the book's current metadata. It will be easier to add tags, etc while you still have the collections to look at.
5) Check the 'On Device'/'In Library' indicators. Make note of the ones that are incorrect. Unless the contents of your library and your sony are very similar, it might be easiest to do this on the device view. For books where the indicator is incorrect, delete then resend the book. If you merely resend it, you could easily end up with two copies of the book on the Sony (as has happened to you in the past).

Once you are happy with your collections and with the on-device indications, switch to automatic management.

Your post does bring up an issue. It is true that unless you have changed the save template, when you resend a book after changing the title or author, calibre will make a second copy of the book. The 'Delete matching books from device' function can help clean up, but the process is less than ideal. One option would be to have calibre delete the existing copy before a book is resent, thus ensuring that only one copy remains. Calibre would do this only if books are matched (on-device is true). One possible downside for some people: deleting the book would also clear manually-added collections and bookmarks for books that end up sharing the same file name because for a short time the book would be totally deleted.

My question: is adding this processing a good idea? Don't assume that I can add yet another option, as Kovid (rightly) guards those carefully. It could be tied to the management option (i.e., not done if manual management is chosen), if that makes sense to most people.
Old 07-16-2010, 11:38 AM   #15
wolfing
wolfing began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-600
Sounds like a very good addition. Does it add a noticeable delay on connection when you have a large book collection (say, 600 books or so) or only depending on how many books' metadata changed from the last connection?
wolfing is offline   Reply With Quote