Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

View Poll Results: Vote for your choice to read and discuss in September:
A Short History of Nearly Everything by Bill Bryson 11 22.00%
The Sex Lives of Cannibals by J. Maarten Troost 3 6.00%
The Bible Unearthed by Neil Asher Silberman and Israel Finkelstein 2 4.00%
Mythologies by Roland Barthes, Annette Lavers (Translator) 5 10.00%
"Surely You're Joking, Mr. Feynman!" by Richard P. Feynman 2 4.00%
The Diary of a Young Girl by Anne Frank 3 6.00%
A Thousand Miles Up the Nile by Amelia Edwards 10 20.00%
Steve Jobs by Walter Isaacson 4 8.00%
My Life in France by Julia Child 1 2.00%
The Swerve by Stephen Greenblatt 9 18.00%
Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-26-2012, 10:58 AM   #16
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabberwock_11 View Post
You must not have read the description if you think that The Sex Lives of Cannibals is about sex...
So, to a cannibal, which tastes better...a man or a woman?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 12:09 PM   #17
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
"A Thousand Miles Up the Nile" is a wonderful book, not to mention that it was created by me, which makes it even better (oops - I wasn't going to mention that...)! Please vote for it. Vote early, vote often, as the saying goes .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-26-2012, 01:11 PM   #18
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
...This is not the politics and religion forum so the bible is out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sun surfer View Post
But you yourself nominated the Jewish Bible! ...
Jon's nomination of the Hebrew Bible was just Jon being Jon. He didn't expect me to allow it, and when I did he withdrew the nomination.

I agree this isn't the place to discuss religion, but I see a difference between discussing the merits of a particular religious stance and discussing a scholarly book that details how a particular book of scripture came to be written. There are dangers to be sure, but as long as people could keep their personal religious opinions in check and keep the discussion firmly rooted in an investigation of the arguments and details presented by the authors, I think it could work. I have a lot of faith (no pun intended) in the discretion of the members of the MRBC and their ability to show respect and avoid the rough and tumble of the P&R section.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 09:53 PM   #19
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I just want to share this little tidbit from HarryT...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
If you enjoy Bill Bryson, have you read "A Short History of Nearly Everything"? It's my favourite of his books. Absolutely fascinating.
Old 08-27-2012, 02:39 AM   #20
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It is a good book, Jon; I'm absolutely right.
Advert
Old 08-27-2012, 10:47 AM   #21
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
It is a good book, Jon; I'm absolutely right.
I'm not disagreeing. I'm trying to get you to help it to win.

Last edited by JSWolf; 08-27-2012 at 11:00 AM.
Old 08-27-2012, 01:47 PM   #22
fantasyfan
Wizard
fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, 4G, iPad Air 2, iPhone IE
Quote:
"A Thousand Miles Up the Nile" is a wonderful book, not to mention that it was created by me, which makes it even better (oops - I wasn't going to mention that...)! Please vote for it. Vote early, vote often, as the saying goes .
I've already done my duty by it! I'd just like to add that you certainly did an excellent job on that book.
fantasyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 02:47 PM   #23
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Thank you .
Old 08-27-2012, 03:04 PM   #24
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Only seven more votes and "Surely You're Joking, Mr. Feynman!" by Richard P. Feynman will be in first place. Only eight more and The Bible Unearthed by Neil Asher Silberman and Israel Finkelstein will take the lead.
Old 08-27-2012, 03:25 PM   #25
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

There are half a dozen of them this month that I'd be only too happy to read. Best selection we've had in a long time.
Old 08-27-2012, 10:15 PM   #26
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kobo Touch
I have voted for "A Thousand Miles Up the Nile" as I plan to read it soon anyway.

Thanks for putting it in the library, Harry.
Bookpossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 02:14 AM   #27
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookpossum View Post
I have voted for "A Thousand Miles Up the Nile" as I plan to read it soon anyway.

Thanks for putting it in the library, Harry.
Ditto. I already downloaded it and have started reading. There are a few others that sound interesting, but since I have started this one, I voted for it.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 09:49 AM   #28
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

A Short History of Nearly Everything by Bill Bryson and A Thousand Miles Up the Nile by Amelia Edwards made the short list. The run-off poll will be up shortly.
Old 08-29-2012, 09:58 AM   #29
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

The run-off poll is up and running.