Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 06-08-2021, 09:09 AM   #16
RMOP
Connoisseur
RMOP began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, TabPRO 8.4, Galaxy Light, Sony PRS-300
Well, the exporting of .mobi highlights and annotations and importaion to .epub appears to be as impracticable as I suspected. And the building of a tool to automate this process would be a formidable and time-consuming challenge, and not one which would be commercially viable. I certainly lack both the talent and time to take on such a project. As much as I dislike Amazon's proprietary approach to the .mobi format, I do appreciate that they have taken the need for compatibility across their own various platforms as seriously as they have. Having notes and highlights made on my Android Kindle reader show up automatically on a 10 year-old Kindle device is very nice.
RMOP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2021, 07:22 AM   #17
crashnburn
Groupie
crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad1 iOS 5.1.1b, iPhone 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
One interesting thing that Amazon did out of necessity is come up with a way to have highlights and annotations be transferrable between copies of a book in different formats. They needed to be able to do that in order to have highlights work for customers owning a variety of devices that might be used to read the same book in MOBI, KF8, AZK, KCR, and KFX formats. Each of those formats have their own method for identifying the position of text within a book.

As far as I can tell they do it by building a file for each format that maps plain text to that format's positioning system and then matching the text between formats to find the corresponding position identifiers across formats.

The same technique can also be used to map positions from the current book content to a new revision when the publisher updates the book to make minor changes or fix typos. That allows the book to be updated while keeping highlights/annotations in the correct place.

It would be interesting if someone came up with a similar method to map annotations between different reading platforms. It would take a lot of research and work to accomplish.
If the mentioned structures and formats are "mappable" then the logic should also be not so difficult to translate or recreate.

The primary question is "what & how" the structure & logic maps things using what "reference" points.
crashnburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert

Tags
conversion