Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 02-14-2011, 03:10 PM   #1
Kanvas
Kanvas began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader Daily Edition 950
How can I get my reader to read this file

I have this manual that is 3000 page long. and reading it as pdf on a computer screen wasn't and isn't something I'm very interested in doing so I went and bought a Sony reader 950 to put it on, should be nice and simple.

Turns out not really...I can't even get the reader to read the pdf file. It keeps telling me invalid page. And when I tried to convert it to epub and rtf, as expected the content become unreadable because all the tables and images were messed up.

One reason I think might be the problem is that the pdf is a secured pdf. It doesn't require a license or password or anything but if I open it in Acrobat the title bar would have "(SECURED)" in it.

Here is the manual:
Intel® 64 and IA-32 Architectures Software Developer's Manual Volume 3A

Is there a way to read it on my reader? either as pdf or a converted format that still keeps the tables and text format.

Thank you
Kanvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 03:36 PM   #2
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
Trying to look at your PDF actually crashed Mozilla on my computer

Perhaps you could try using Briss

http://sourceforge.net/projects/briss/

(it's free) to chop up your PDF info several smaller PDFs; perhaps the PDF is just too big, and that is causing the problems.
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-14-2011, 03:41 PM   #3
petercreasey
Wizard
petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony: PRS 950 & T1, Kobo: Aura One & Forma
See if Calibre can help you.
petercreasey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 03:49 PM   #4
Kanvas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latinandgreek View Post
Trying to look at your PDF actually crashed Mozilla on my computer

Perhaps you could try using Briss

http://sourceforge.net/projects/briss/

(it's free) to chop up your PDF info several smaller PDFs; perhaps the PDF is just too big, and that is causing the problems.
It's about 7mb with 1000 pages. Maybe on the larger size of a pdf but I don't think it's that big, right?
But I'll try chopping it up and see.
Old 02-14-2011, 03:53 PM   #5
Kanvas

Quote:
Originally Posted by petercreasey View Post
See if Calibre can help you.
You mean using Calibre to convert it? If so that's what I did, tried to do it with epub and rft. It converted alright although the converted file lost all of its table and formats.
Advert
Old 02-14-2011, 04:03 PM   #6
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
I find it really odd that it crashed my Mozilla, though. I've had larger PDFs on my PRS-505, and they never gave me any trouble. I really hope that you can get it to work.
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 04:11 PM   #7
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
I use Firefox and even with about 50 tabs loaded right now, the pdf file loaded just fine for me and no crash. Quite awhile ago though I switched to using Foxit instead of Adobe for pdf files, I had nothing but headaches and problems with Adobe. Firefox would often crash, or it would take forever to load even a 1-page pdf with text only, and while it was stuck loading, all of Firefox was locked up so you couldn't do anything else but wait. And wait, and wait. Adobe also keeps trying to run on system startup just for updates, I don't need to waste system resources to update any program even once a month or so, it makes it far too easy for nasty programs to self install themselves with all those auto-updates going on in the background that you're probably not even aware of.

I have none of those problems with Foxit, and it's very fast on loading files, this large one included.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 11:12 PM   #8
Kanvas

ok, I think something is definitely off about this pdf, I couldn't even chop it up, the Briss program just hung there forever after I select the file. Come on, this is from Intel, I would think that they know what they are doing, but apparently not.
Old 02-15-2011, 12:26 AM   #9
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I still have Adobe installed on my 2nd PC I don't use that much, so tried the file there also and it opened the pdf just fine in the browser. I was also able to save the file, and open it up in both Foxit Phantom for full editing, as well Adobe 9 Pro, and no problems loading or editing the file with either program.

I'm running WinXP SP3, 4GB ram, a ton of audio/video editing and converting software on both machines. I'm using Firefox 3.6.13 on both machines. Not sure what your problem could be, but it doesn't seem to like your system, I'm having no problems with the file at all. Or possibly your download of the file was corrupt?
Old 02-15-2011, 01:11 PM   #10
Kanvas

Sorry maybe i wasn't clear on this.

I have no problem with viewing it on my PC. It opens just fine on both of my pdf viewer program and even in Calibre and the Sony library program. But for some reasons, the ereader can't open it. I can see it in my collection but when I try to open it a "Invalid Page" error pops up. So I tried chopping it up as Latinandgreek suggested but the briss program also can't open it. Again, the file opens just fine in Acrobat and other "viewer program".

Can someone open it on their reader?
Old 02-15-2011, 02:43 PM   #11
meerkat
meerkat can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguemeerkat can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguemeerkat can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguemeerkat can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguemeerkat can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguemeerkat can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguemeerkat can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguemeerkat can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguemeerkat can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguemeerkat can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguemeerkat can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: prs-650BC (was prs-600), ipad, kindle PW1,Google Nexus7 (2013)
This is the document that I also use to read daily.

You are correct in that the crash on your reader is due to the PDF is secured - secure from being modified. and you reader does not like the property

One way to do this is to install doPdf (free) , and print the document to generate another PDF, which will have no secure property so your reader can read. The downside is the newly generated PDF is flattened, so the table of context (TOC) is not usable in the reader, a pain for such big doc, although you can create your own bookmarks as you read.

Another way is to purchase pdfPasswordRemover software, which will unsecure the pdf and leave the TOC intact.

HTH
meerkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 03:20 PM   #12
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder

Ah, got it. I played around with the file transferring it to my 350, and I couldn't get it to open either until I converted it from pdf to pdf with Calibre. That corrected whatever formatting was stopping the Sony reader from playing nice with that original pdf, and I didn't have to split it up into segments.

Converting to epub also worked btw, but I suspected you preferred pdf format.

I don't believe the original document is secured since I was freely able to edit it, delete sections, and then resave it with my changes using both Foxit Phantom and Adobe 9.0 Pro. But those versions also wouldn't open on the reader itself again, got the same invalid page error on the reader when I'd try to open them.

Last edited by Ripplinger; 02-15-2011 at 03:23 PM.
Old 02-15-2011, 05:43 PM   #13
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
I haven't tried this file. However, for what it's worth, my 950 can read secure PDF's that are password-protected from modifications and allow read-only status without the password.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 05:48 PM   #14
kartu
PRS+ author
kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-300, 505, 600, 650, 950
PDFLRF allows you to convert complex PDFs into image LRF format, splitting pages, cutting margins etc.
kartu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 06:18 PM   #15
Waba
Groupie
Waba has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Waba has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Waba has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Waba has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, PRS-350/950, HP Touchpad, Kindle Keyboard
Here ya go my friend: http://db.tt/3BT7TC5

runnin great on my 950.
Waba is offline   Reply With Quote