Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 05-14-2021, 11:24 AM   #1
mcandre
Connoisseur
mcandre , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mcandre , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mcandre , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mcandre , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mcandre , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mcandre , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mcandre , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mcandre , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mcandre , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mcandre , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mcandre , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Kindle
Question Cloud readers with support for 9,000+ page PDFs

Hi,

I was excited to import my Calibre entry, the ARM reference manual G.a, into a cloud reader so I can sync bookmarks across devices. However, I am unable to open this book on many PDF reader applications.

On iPad, the book permanently corrupts Files, preventing closing the book or accessing the rest of my data.

https://developer.arm.com/documentation/ddi0487/latest/

The only workaround I have found to fix Files after opening the poison book, is to have the good fortune of other documents available in Files to override at launch: Long press on the Files icon, select a different document, then make sure to delete the bad book before closing the application.

On Google Play Books, the system presents a generic processing error and refuses to attempt to open the book.

Anyone know of PDF readers with support for high page count books?

The file size is small, about 50 MB. But the fact that this book has nearly 9,000 pages appears to trigger problems with non-streaming ereader implementations.

The desktop Preview application for macOS can at least show the first few pages successfully.

Apple Books (formerly iBooks) is also able to open this book, fortunately. However, this is only and option for Apple devices, not very portable. And the zoom is atrocious.

Last edited by mcandre; 05-14-2021 at 11:34 AM.
mcandre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 08:18 PM   #2
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I don't understand what this has to do with calibre, which is an ebook library manager. Whilst it can store PDFs, what it can do with them is somewhat limited. In terms of ebook formats, calibre is EPUB centric.

A mod can move your post to the PDF forum where you might get more replies, post a message here and one of us will oblige.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
arm, mobile, pdf, phone, tablet