Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-12-2010, 07:16 PM   #1
cecirdr
cecirdr began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX Graphite and Fire
Smile finally stepping up from my K1

My K1 has been just fine for me. I read on it daily. But today, I finally opted to splurge and get the big DX to keep it company. I've been frustrated with trying to view pdfs on the little 6 inch screen, so I kept my reading on it to just casual books.

But with the price drop, the new screen, native pdf viewer, and having the AT&T network (Sprint has horrible reception around here, so downloading books to the K1 could be a chore), there was no reason to wait any more.

I really pondered hard about an ipad versus the new DX, but the always available network at no charge and the lighter weight pushed me toward the kindle. I have a small notebook computer that I use if I need portability and computing power. So I didn't need a multifunction device. I needed something that did one thing really well; let me read books and pdfs without shining a light into my eyes. (I stare at a computer monitor all day for work)

I'm getting ready to start grad school soon, but even so, all I really need is a way to read a large volume of material comfortably. I'll use my small laptop for taking notes and writing papers. I'll use mendeley on it for citation and pdf management, backups and annotations. But for general purpose reading, I'll transfers pdfs to my kindle or email them to my kindle from straight from database searches. Then I can read them in comfort. Ahhhhhh.

Yay! ....can't wait to get my new baby!
Ceci
cecirdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 07:21 PM   #2
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Congrats on your new addition. I too have both a K1 and a DXG - and still use both - but my favorite is the large screen DXG. Let us know if it lives up to your expectations.

And - welcome to MR! Glad you're posting with us!
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-12-2010, 07:49 PM   #3
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Congrats on the DXG purchase! It's on my list to purchase but I'll be waiting a few months. I've purchased 3 Kindles at their highest price ($399 and $359 x 2) and I want to wait to see if there is a price drop around the holidays.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 08:13 PM   #4
pendragginp
Guru
pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Several
Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear_nc View Post
Congrats on your new addition. I too have both a K1 and a DXG - and still use both - but my favorite is the large screen DXG. Let us know if it lives up to your expectations.

And - welcome to MR! Glad you're posting with us!
I also have both, and love both at different times and for different reasons.

Also love my 505 and ebookwise, again for different reasons.

And the Jetbook because it's so little and cute and easy.

pendragginp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 03:26 AM   #5
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cecirdr View Post
Yay! ....can't wait to get my new baby!
Ceci
I got my DXG yesterday. It's absolutely fantastic; I'm sure you'll love yours.
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-13-2010, 01:59 PM   #6
loveangel
Banned
loveangel began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
congrats on your purchase
loveangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 02:36 PM   #7
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I've been using my trusty K1 for 2 years now, but I do admit to a bit of Tech-envy. The new DXG looks really nice. I'm not ready to move on from my K1 just yet, but .... sigh, a shiny new DXG or even an iPad would be nice.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 03:35 PM   #8
cheerio6414
Addict
cheerio6414 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Congrats and enjoy the upgrade
cheerio6414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 04:16 PM   #9
M_Agnum
Bezos > Jobs
M_Agnum has learned how to read e-booksM_Agnum has learned how to read e-booksM_Agnum has learned how to read e-booksM_Agnum has learned how to read e-booksM_Agnum has learned how to read e-booksM_Agnum has learned how to read e-booksM_Agnum has learned how to read e-booksM_Agnum has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle DX Graphite
Excellent choice! You will love it! Honestly, I think it's going to be hard for you to go back to the Kindle 1 after seeing the new screen.
M_Agnum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 01:15 PM   #10
cecirdr
cecirdr began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX Graphite and Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Agnum View Post
Excellent choice! You will love it! Honestly, I think it's going to be hard for you to go back to the Kindle 1 after seeing the new screen.
I think you're going to be right. I got to play with my new DXG last night and everything is sooooo much better. The fonts just pop! AT&T has much better signal strength here so I can reliably download content. The ability to create collections and how the dictionary and annotations work is soooo much better than the software running on the K1.

It remains to be seen how much I'll keep using my K1....even just to read casual books. It *is* lighter to hold. But the DXG has spoiled me already!
cecirdr is offline   Reply With Quote