Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-12-2006, 07:36 AM   #1
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Reader compresses books?

Has anyone noticed that, at least with RTF files, Reader appears to store them in a compressed form in memory?

Eg, I had 69.6MB free in the Reader's internal memory. I copied a 1.2MB RTF file to Reader. One might have reasonably expected that the amount of free memory would fall to 69.6 - 1.2 = 68.4MB, but it only fell to 69.2MB - ie, the 1.2MB file only reduced the amount of free memory by 0.4MB.

RTF files are highly compressible, so it appears that Reader is storing them compressed in memory. Very clever!

I don't know if it only does this if you put books in internal memory, or on an SD card too, but it's very useful - if you use RTF files it mean that although Reader has 92MB of internal memory, you can probably store 250+MB of books in it!

Perhaps this is well-known and I've overlooked it on previous threads, but it's not something I'd seen mentioned before, so I thought it might interest other people.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote