Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-09-2020, 01:23 PM   #76
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
How?

Or is your Kindle Jailbroken?
Works for PW4 only.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 04:48 AM   #77
cortejador
cortejador began at the beginning.

Device: PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by nimbus.se View Post
Has anyone noticed any changes in the search function with this update?

Nothing new here on my PW3
Yes, when you search anything and got the result list, tap to one of them. Then you jump the given part of book, and you will see a navigation bar at the bottom of screen, this bar is the new improvement. With this you can walk back and forth in the result set directly, and finally go back to the original position.
cortejador is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-10-2020, 09:43 AM   #78
NullNix
Guru
NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Oasis 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I decided to add hinting to ChareInk and after doing so and loading the hinted version to my PW3, in KF8, the font looks better at font size 4. So I would suggest that if you are using a side loaded font, check for hinting and if there is none, add hinting. Seem the Kindle font handling system prefers fonts with hints which is why Bookerly is buggered because hinting was removed.
FreeType has multiple hinting engines (because the original hinting scheme is, groan, patented), plus can attempt to autohint on its own in the absence of manual hinting. That's all that's going on here (well, plus the ludicrous removal of manual hints from Bookerly even though the autohinter clearly is doing a worse job).
NullNix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 01:45 PM   #79
Proximanova
Proximanova began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4, 10th generation (2018)
Whatever features this update brings, personally the most important one is to fix the buggy font picker, which crashes after every few seconds. I know I sound like Eeyore, but Amazon has pretty much destroyed my Kindle experience since April. Font selection is eeyorething—I mean, everything—to me.
Proximanova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 02:29 PM   #80
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Proximanova View Post
Whatever features this update brings, personally the most important one is to fix the buggy font picker, which crashes after every few seconds. I know I sound like Eeyore, but Amazon has pretty much destroyed my Kindle experience since April. Font selection is eeyorething—I mean, everything—to me.
I've not read of the "font picker" crashing before this. Are you sure it's not due to one of the fonts you have installed?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-29-2020, 08:01 PM   #81
Buran
Geek
Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis Waterproof 32GB 3G (without offers)
I don't know if the fonts I added are hinted or not, but they look ... different. The one that I'd really been liking now looks 'bad' (which is a subjective thing, I know).

I'm now looking around some free font sites for some alternatives to try. I'll find something eventually.
Buran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 08:18 PM   #82
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buran View Post
I don't know if the fonts I added are hinted or not, but they look ... different. The one that I'd really been liking now looks 'bad' (which is a subjective thing, I know).

I'm now looking around some free font sites for some alternatives to try. I'll find something eventually.
Try ChareInk. A lot of people like it on a Kindle. Download the unweighted hinted version and up the weight in the Aa menu.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=184056
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 06:06 AM   #83
Roos
Groupie
Roos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Roos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Roos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Roos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Roos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Roos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Roos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Roos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Roos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Roos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Roos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle Scribe, Phone
Hi folks,

I use % read in the book (right bottom corner) as default 'where are you in the book' option.
Since last firmware update (?) i have to set that for every damn book, whats up with that? Is there a way to force it to stay active?
I suspect it is related to the bit in settings moved to 'Page Layout', but it sucks monkey balls :-(

Do you all experience this behaviour also? Or is it a bug in my Kindle??

Thanks
Roos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 12:09 PM   #84
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
I keep my settings for that as None. However, just now I checked putting it as % read and page number, which seemed to carry through for all books. I dislike it as the page/location is meaningless for me, unlike Sony that specifies X out of Y pages.
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 12:15 PM   #85
Buran
Geek
Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis Waterproof 32GB 3G (without offers)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Try ChareInk. A lot of people like it on a Kindle. Download the unweighted hinted version and up the weight in the Aa menu.
Thanks! I snagged it, and it's a good one. I also found a print-oriented (rather than designed-for-web) version of my previous font, along with a bunch of other fonts that are good; I just don't like them as much.

So now I can get my books looking like they did before.

Could the sudden display weirdness also be related to the fact that the 'new' version of my preferred font is .otf instead of .ttf? I don't know the details behind the scenes.
Buran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 12:51 PM   #86
Gandulf
Addict
Gandulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gandulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gandulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gandulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gandulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gandulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gandulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gandulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gandulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gandulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gandulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roos View Post
Hi folks,

I use % read in the book (right bottom corner) as default 'where are you in the book' option.
Since last firmware update (?) i have to set that for every damn book, whats up with that? Is there a way to force it to stay active?
I suspect it is related to the bit in settings moved to 'Page Layout', but it sucks monkey balls :-(

Do you all experience this behaviour also? Or is it a bug in my Kindle??

Thanks
Noticed that as well, mine changes even when reading the same book and not even opening another.
Gandulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 03:47 PM   #87
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandulf View Post
Noticed that as well, mine changes even when reading the same book and not even opening another.
You do know that you can change the display setting by tapping at the the very left bottom corner? No need to go into settings. Maybe you are touching it on accident trying to change pages?
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 02:08 AM   #88
Roos
Groupie
Roos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Roos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Roos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Roos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Roos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Roos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Roos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Roos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Roos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Roos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Roos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle Scribe, Phone
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
You do know that you can change the display setting by tapping at the the very left bottom corner? No need to go into settings. Maybe you are touching it on accident trying to change pages?
Nope, I did not know, I might touch the screen there when turning pages.
I think you might be onto something, at least this is an easy fix, Thanks!
Roos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 09:25 AM   #89
Gandulf
Addict
Gandulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gandulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gandulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gandulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gandulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gandulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gandulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gandulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gandulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gandulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gandulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW4
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
No I do not know now I do, thanks. What else don't I know
Gandulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 10:13 AM   #90
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
You can't "lock" the setting for the reading progress either. Tapping the bottom left toggles through the choices available for that book.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
font_ramp