Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 07-05-2008, 03:26 PM   #1
AMBene
AMBene has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Evo, Sony 505; Kindle 3
Let me introduce myself...

I am a crazy, quirky, mom of 5...4 boys (1 of whom is my very precious angel) and 1 girl. (The last 3 were triplets), with 2 african leopard tortoises, 1 beta fish and 1 pound puppy...and a very patient husband. I love to read, garden, play with my kids...I am a nurse practitioner and my considered bit of a geek around my peers...I love technology and often on the cutting edge..(which of course gets expensive...but I just can't wait most of the time...)
My life is crazy & hectic and I lug my tote around with my books, mags & journals. So I want an e-reader. I think it will make it easier to read anywhere...at least for pleasure. Looking at the Sony 505. Like its style. May wait for the wireless version...waiting, that is a first for me.
Just wanted to say hi... I have a few questions regarding formats.

First question...Can the Sony handle the adoble PDF ebook format without the problems of the regular PDF format? In other words, will the text of the ebook format be microscopic?
AMBene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 04:29 PM   #2
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
Welcome AMBene. Glad you posted a "get to know me" message.

You didn't say what age your children are. If those triplets are small, I'll bet you have a lot of demands on your time. Be sure to get all the kids turned on to books as soon as possible so that they will be able to entertain themselves.

I bought a Kindle and dearly love it. After handling a Sony PRS 505 at Borders, I recognize that I could be happy with it. Having the Whispernet was not a big part of the equation when I was shopping. For me, the content is the big deal -- and Amazon has more of the books that I read at better prices. I often download the books to my PC and push to the Kindle through the USB cable, which is exactly what I would have had to do with a Sony reader.

In my opinion, it's best to think about PDF as being akin to an image rather than a book/text format. Think about what happens if you photocopy a page printed on legal-size paper (8.5x14 inches) onto standard paper ... it gets reduced to 78% of the original size. A PDF document created for printing on 8.5x11 paper will be reduced to around 45% of the original to be displayed on the 6-inch eInk screen. Obviously, the ideal would be to get PDF files created for the smaller display. But, I don't know of any publishers who do that. Second best would be for the PDF display software to provide pan and zoom functions.

Pan and zoom would not be acceptable to me because it would interfere with the smooth reading. It might be a pragmatic solution for documentation and highly technical material that you don't really *READ* straight through. But it would totally ruin a mystery novel. So, in the absence of publishers who produce PDFs for the small screen, I'm avoiding them.
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-05-2008, 04:36 PM   #3
AMBene

Thank you for the welcome, Elsie. My 2 little ones are the the 2 surviving triplets. Austin is our little angel, who lived for a week. They were very premature. Emma and Will are 22 months old. Then I have Eric who is 15 and Jonathan who is 18, so you can understand how crazy our house gets. I read to the littles one many times a day, just as I did to the older ones. I love to read. I read for pleasure as much as possible and then my medical journals. I also am a professional photographer on the side, and do a lot of reading in that arena too.

The adobe digital update, that is sort of, hopefully coming to the Sony...will that make the PDF e books, easier to read and appear like the native DRMs?

I enjoy mysteries too! As well as a good suspense novel.
Old 07-05-2008, 04:41 PM   #4
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMBene View Post
The adobe digital update, that is sort of, hopefully coming to the Sony...will that make the PDF e books, easier to read and appear like the native DRMs?
No one knows for sure. But, yes that is the expectations. You could download Digital Editions for your PC now... and get your self an Adobe ID. You can convert and protected PDF books that you have to the new Adobe ID. Supposedly once DE is released for the Sony you will also be able to register your reader to work for your Adobe ID and also read those books there.

But, alot (all?) of this is just conjecture and we won't know for sure how it will work. Also, we don't know if DE for Sony will support re-flow mode so the PDF text will automatically size properly for the reader.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 04:47 PM   #5
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
Welcome to the forum AMBene.
I am so impressed: I really don't know how you fit all that activity into one life.

Currently the Sony will not read drm'd PDFs. And, as Elsi point out, it has limitations with ordinary PDF. Some of them can be converted to other formats without too much trouble. Whatever you eventually buy, remember that the screen is relatively fragile and your little ones could really spoil your reading if they manage to reach and drop the device. (But I expect that you are only too aware of what toddlers get up to.)
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-05-2008, 04:53 PM   #6
AMBene

LOL! That is why I buy alot from Best Buy with accident protection. I noted that sony offers the same "accident" protection. So far been very lucky! (and careful....LOL!)

Thanks for the information. This is one arena, I had not just jumped into early...Wish I had...glad I didn't. Seems like alot of good improvements in the past 2 years...and sounds like the future is very bright.

I love books and have an extensive library and the impact an e-reader can have is incredible. I back my pc & laptop up daily to a external HD & a server. So, the idea of having an extensive digital library at my finger tips...cosmic!!!!!!!!!!1
Old 07-05-2008, 05:11 PM   #7
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
Quote:
Emma and Will are 22 months old. Then I have Eric who is 15 and Jonathan who is 18, so you can understand how crazy our house gets.
My husband is the younger of his parents' "first family". He was 10 when the older of the "second family" was born and 14 when the baby arrived. His parents laugh that hubby had an entire army of headless soldiers! Hubby's youngest brother was only 6 when we got married, so it was a long time before I got to know him. He's now practicing law in NYC!

My sisters and I are rabid readers as were our parents. Since Amazon allows you to register up to 6 Kindles to the same account -- and therefore to share the books among all the registered devices -- my next-younger sister (an RN and nursing instructor) and I have a shared account at Amazon. Her daughter has also been reading on her Kindle and now they're talking about getting a third one so my niece will have her very own.

Amazon shows a short video of a Kindle falling. I know that I've dropped mine (usually off the edge of the bed when I fall asleep with it in my hands) several times with no ill effect. That may be one advantage of the plastic case that makes so many people refer to the Kindle as "ugly". Unlike a metal case (which I think the Sony has), less shock would be transmitted to the screen in a fall. Of course, if something hits the screen directly, it's going to be gone!
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 06:14 PM   #8
AMBene

I like the idea of being able to share an account and therefore books. My sister reads as much as I do and we share the same taste in books. It is something my mom might even enjoy.

My 18 yo gets annoyed when people think the babies are his. But both of the older boys love them. Of course I have a gate blocking their rooms off. No soldiers to make headless, but Xbox 360; stereos, ipods...you get the pic. LOL!
Old 07-05-2008, 06:28 PM   #9
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
Hello AMBene
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 06:29 PM   #10
AMBene

Hello back, Ervserver. I see you have both the 505 and the Kindle in your possession.
Which is your favorite and why?
Old 07-05-2008, 09:08 PM   #11
Spartacus2112
Evangelist
Spartacus2112 can extract oil from cheeseSpartacus2112 can extract oil from cheeseSpartacus2112 can extract oil from cheeseSpartacus2112 can extract oil from cheeseSpartacus2112 can extract oil from cheeseSpartacus2112 can extract oil from cheeseSpartacus2112 can extract oil from cheeseSpartacus2112 can extract oil from cheeseSpartacus2112 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi
Greetings, AmBene. Enjoy the forum....Geaux Saints!
Spartacus2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 09:31 PM   #12
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Hi AMBene and welcome to the Forum. I have a Sony 505 I got back in January and like it a lot. Have also had my hands on Kindle and like that too although, for my purposes, the Sony is better. But, I don't think you'll be unhappy with either.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 12:21 PM   #13
AMBene

Thanks everyone, leaning towards the Sony!
Spartacus2112, you sound like you might have been around New Orleans at some point.
Saints, first clue...Geaux...the cajun vernacular the second hint...LOL!
Old 07-08-2008, 12:31 PM   #14
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
AMBene be sure and let us know which eBook reader you decide on and how you like it.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 05:27 PM   #15
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
I prefer the Sony, don't like all the buttons and keys on the Kindle. My fat fingers get in the way.

Quote:
Hello back, Ervserver. I see you have both the 505 and the Kindle in your possession.
Which is your favorite and why?
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote