Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-11-2009, 10:39 AM   #1
*Angie*
Bookish
*Angie* doesn't litter*Angie* doesn't litter

Device: Kobo, Sony PRS-300
Well, I finally had my mind made up for me

First off, I'd like to thank all the nice folks here who've answered all my questions as I was trying to decide whether to buy the 500 or the 505 Reader.

Right up to the end, I knew I'd be happy with either, so finally decided to go with the 300, which was the less expensive option. I'm in Canada, so the 300 was available for $259 and the 505 for $299.

So, first I head to my local Future Shop, but they don't carry the readers in store, only online. Ditto Staples. No problem, I'll forego immediate satisfaction and order online.
Now, we don't own a regular credit card (we'd suck at controlling impulse purchases, otherwise). Instead, we have a pre-paid Mastercard that we use to buy online where Paypal isn't available, rent cars, book hotels, etc. We've used it dozens of times without issues.

I try the Sony store first, but they won't accept a prepaid Mastercard. Huh. Never had that happen before. Oh well, I'll try Futureshop. Hey, they won't accept it either. That's annoying. OK, I'll try Staples. Oh, Staples only has the 505. I guess I'm getting the more expensive one after all. That's ok, I'm cool with that. No, wait. They won't accept the darn card, either.

Now I'm thinking that I'm going to be out of luck on buying a reader all together. I start thinking like crazy where else might possible sell this type of thing. Oh, what about Sears?! I give them a call, they're not available in store, but they do have them online via their catalogue order. Check online and they only have the 505... but it's only $259! Woot! Plus, they deliver to the drugstore in my town and I can pay COD when I pick it up.

What an ordeal, eh? The darn thing better be really nice when it gets here next week LOL
*Angie* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 10:54 AM   #2
frabjous
Wizard
frabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Sony PRS-505
Ordeal? Sounds like the fates conspiring to get you the better reader at the lower price... I'd take it as a good sign!

Enjoy your reader!
frabjous is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-11-2009, 10:59 AM   #3
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Angie* View Post
Check online and they only have the 505... but it's only $259! Woot! Plus, they deliver to the drugstore in my town and I can pay COD when I pick it up.
FYI, there's another thread around here mentioning some confusion as to whether the unit Sears is selling is the 505 or actually the 300. Something about the specs listed in the catalog actually being those of the 300.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 11:24 AM   #4
*Angie*
Bookish

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
FYI, there's another thread around here mentioning some confusion as to whether the unit Sears is selling is the 505 or actually the 300. Something about the specs listed in the catalog actually being those of the 300.
hmm, that's interesting. I'll be happy either way, though if it's actually the 300 I'll have to return the skin & m-edge cover I've already ordered for the 505.

I had to go have another look at the website description. The name listed is just "Sony Ebook Reader", but the photo is of the 505. The description is a bit confusing, though. It states a 5" screen like the 300, but also "built-in memory holds approx. 150 eBooks at a time; SD memory slot allows the option of even more" like the 505. A customer did ask for the model#, and another customer replied that it was a 505... but are they saying so baded on the photo, or from having bought one?

Very mysterious! I guess I'll be surprised when it gets here LOL
Old 09-11-2009, 03:23 PM   #5
frozennorth
Evangelist
frozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic something

Device: Onyx Boox RIP, Sony PRS-T1, Kobo Libra
The other post mentioned is here.
We should find out by Monday at the latest whether it's the 505 or the 300.

Futureshop lists the estimated release date for 16th Sept. Hopefully they'll have displays of the new models in store. The 505 only sold online.
frozennorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-11-2009, 06:00 PM   #6
*Angie*
Bookish

Thanks! I'll keep an eye on his thread to see what he ends up with. TBH, I was leaning a bit more towards the 300, but now I kind of hope it's the 505 so I can keep the skin and cover I already ordered before knowing there might be a mixup. Ah, the suspense!