Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 12-24-2019, 12:38 PM   #1
Thargor
Connoisseur
Thargor got an A in P-Chem.Thargor got an A in P-Chem.Thargor got an A in P-Chem.Thargor got an A in P-Chem.Thargor got an A in P-Chem.Thargor got an A in P-Chem.Thargor got an A in P-Chem.Thargor got an A in P-Chem.Thargor got an A in P-Chem.Thargor got an A in P-Chem.Thargor got an A in P-Chem.

Device: Sony PRS 505
Whats With All the 20mb Epubs All Of A Sudden?

Did something change in the last year or two? Every second epub I download especially on new releases seems to have jumped from 4-5MB to 20MB. These are pure text sci-fi/fantasy in the main, no illustrations or special fonts...

I know 20MB is nothing but when you have a huge collection like mine it adds up, is there any Calibre plug-in that strips out all this bloat and just leaves you with the cover/blurb/text/Chapters and a bit of formatting to keep it tidy or is that even possible?

Last edited by Thargor; 12-24-2019 at 12:53 PM.
Thargor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2019, 12:47 PM   #2
GoSharks
SQUIRREL!!
GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K-Fire, PW2, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thargor View Post
Did something change in the last year or two? Every second epub I download especially on new releases seems to have jumped from 4-5MB to 20MB. These are pure text sci-fi/fantasy in the main, no illustrations or special fonts...

I know 20MB is nothing but when you have a huge collection like mine it adds up, is here any Calibre plug-in that strips out all this bloat and just leaves you with the cover/blurb/text/Chapters and a bit of formatting to keep it tidy or is hat even possible?
Edit Books is probably your best bet. Remove fonts and also look for jpeg picture files that are unrelated to the book (advertisements for other books in the series or by the author is common).
Good luck!
GoSharks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-24-2019, 02:35 PM   #3
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
With some books, the Chapter heading will be a .jpg instead of text.

I've also seen books where breaks within a chapter were done with a .jpg like this one:

And instead of using the same image over and over, the publisher inserted the image once for each instance it was used. So .jpg003, .jpg004 and .jpg005 would all be the same image. That sort of stuff really causes file size to increase.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2019, 04:41 PM   #4
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thargor View Post

I know 20MB is nothing but when you have a huge collection like mine it adds up, is there any Calibre plug-in that strips out all this bloat and just leaves you with the cover/blurb/text/Chapters and a bit of formatting to keep it tidy or is that even possible?
I just reconvert ebook files in Calibre. Most of the time the new copy of the same file usually an epub or mobi shrinks considerably.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2019, 04:48 PM   #5
Thargor
Connoisseur
Thargor got an A in P-Chem.Thargor got an A in P-Chem.Thargor got an A in P-Chem.Thargor got an A in P-Chem.Thargor got an A in P-Chem.Thargor got an A in P-Chem.Thargor got an A in P-Chem.Thargor got an A in P-Chem.Thargor got an A in P-Chem.Thargor got an A in P-Chem.Thargor got an A in P-Chem.

Device: Sony PRS 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
I just reconvert ebook files in Calibre. Most of the time the new copy of the same file usually an epub or mobi shrinks considerably.
Tried a few there, epub to epub in Calibre, not even a kb of difference afterwards.
Thargor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-24-2019, 05:22 PM   #6
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
EPUBs are just zip files. Unzip them or list their contents and see which files take up the most space.
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2019, 06:35 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
With some books, the Chapter heading will be a .jpg instead of text.

I've also seen books where breaks within a chapter were done with a .jpg like this one:

And instead of using the same image over and over, the publisher inserted the image once for each instance it was used. So .jpg003, .jpg004 and .jpg005 would all be the same image. That sort of stuff really causes file size to increase.
Besides this, if any of the eBooks are from Penguin, there will be embedded fonts for one section that you do not need. You do not need that html file and you do not need those fonts. It's an advert for signing up to Penguin's email. The thing to do is use Calibre's eBook editor to see what it is in these eBooks that are making them so large.

@Thagor, can you please give us some of the titles/authors of these large eBooks? Thanks.

Last edited by JSWolf; 12-24-2019 at 06:39 PM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2019, 07:28 PM   #8
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Besides this, if any of the eBooks are from Penguin, there will be embedded fonts for one section that you do not need. You do not need that html file and you do not need those fonts. It's an advert for signing up to Penguin's email.
Interesting.
Do they do it with Kindle books, too?
Amazon charges a small download fee based on file size.
Epub vendors don't.
It always seemed odd nickel and dimeing but maybe they figured publishers might try this kind of padding.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2019, 07:40 PM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
Interesting.
Do they do it with Kindle books, too?
Amazon charges a small download fee based on file size.
Epub vendors don't.
It always seemed odd nickel and dimeing but maybe they figured publishers might try this kind of padding.
I cannot say 100%, but I would think so. I don't see any reason for Penguin to have this page in ePub only. I know it's rubbish, but that's Penguin for you.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2019, 11:52 PM   #10
binaryhermit
Grand Sorcerer
binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW4, Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
You could try using "losslessly compress jpegs" or whatever it is in the Calibre editor.
And if you're brave, you can lossily compress them while you're there
(And I've seen some insanely bloated books on the kindle store)

EDIT: It's "Compress images losslessly'

Last edited by binaryhermit; 12-24-2019 at 11:54 PM.
binaryhermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 09:28 AM   #11
fxp33
Addict
fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.

Device: Kobo Glo, Aura HD, kindle paperwhite
Hi,

The Sigil forum is also packed with epubs editors... sure you can find help there too if you want to learn.

I you already are a Calibre user (I guess from your collection size), you can try the Calibre Editor forum to understand the way epub work and what the problem is with these 20mb jump...

Cheers
François
fxp33 is offline   Reply With Quote