Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Everything Audiobooks > Audiobook Discussions

Notices

Old 09-03-2019, 11:29 PM   #16
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
Looks like the same books are also at estories, with similar pricing.

I spot checked a few to see if they were LibriVox recordings; they're not.
eStories has 27 titles and most of them are priced at $0.38 (member) and $0.54 (non-mem). Additionally, eStories is DRM-Free.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 12:11 AM   #17
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
For less than a buck a pop, I could be interested in the Father Brown and the Twain. And it's true, my loss would be limited. Just the same, it seems to fall under either or both the categories of, "Too Good to be True" and "Buyer Beware" and I hate to reward a cynical seller with my respective bucks if that's the game they're playing. So I'll be very interested to see what you find.
I'm unable to find their website or who they belong too. Still, several of the major vendors carry their books. I've seen some charter connecting them to Oregan Publishing, though that's still to be proven. Oregan was selling LibriVox titles under their name and changing the name of the narrator to hide that fact. Audible eventually dropped them.

Anyway, if the quality is there (formatting, narration, etc), they're a great deal and Audible will let you return them if you're not happy.

I'm not done trying to figure out who they are...
Old 09-05-2019, 03:24 AM   #18
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer
GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle; Kindle (10.1.1) for PC; Kindle Cloud Reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
I'm unable to find their website or who they belong too. Still, several of the major vendors carry their books. I've seen some charter connecting them to Oregan Publishing, though that's still to be proven. Oregan was selling LibriVox titles under their name and changing the name of the narrator to hide that fact. Audible eventually dropped them.

Anyway, if the quality is there (formatting, narration, etc), they're a great deal and Audible will let you return them if you're not happy.

Thanks for your sleuthing.

We might be amazed at how much of that kind of thing goes on--making undisclosed cooperative (sometimes benign, however) deals, surreptitious product rebranding, taking alias business names (sometimes _many_ of them), etc. Good luck digging up info about the Oregan company.
GtrsRGr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 08:52 AM   #19
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:

Go here:
https://www.estories.com/audiobook/2...ree-Musketeers

Listen for approx. 30 seconds.
Narrator: Daniel Duffy

Go here:
https://librivox.org/the-three-muske...exandre-dumas/

Narrator: Mark F. Smith

My conclusion:
The same voice
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 09:09 AM   #20
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
For "Mark F. Smith" (whoever the hell he might really be), if you enjoy his voice and narration, here are some additional audio books by him as listed on his Blog site (via LibriVox):

http://techsmiths-librivox.blogspot.com/
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 12:00 PM   #21
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
Go here:
https://www.estories.com/audiobook/2...ree-Musketeers

Narrator: Daniel Duffy

Go here:
https://librivox.org/the-three-muske...exandre-dumas/

Narrator: Mark F. Smith

My conclusion:
The same voice
I agree. This so-called publisher cut out the opening LibriVox info and changed the name of the narrator. Shame on them.

From what limited research I've done, FrontPage Publishing and Page2Page appear to be fronts for selling LibriVox recordings. Since what they're doing doesn't violate any of LibriVox's policies, they get away with it.

Still, I find the practice despicable because they're passing these works off as their own and not crediting LibriVox. The fact that Audible and eStories are selling these books only compounds this shady practice.

So if you (generic) see public domain works being sold on the cheap by some "unknown" publisher, chances are it's a LibriVox recording.

See this thread: LibriVox books at Audible and a short discussion starting here.
Old 09-05-2019, 02:58 PM   #22
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
There's a thread around here about "what narrators do you love / hate" .... which has commented that narrators sometimes use different names at different places. So is it possible that it's the reader who has renamed themselves, and removed the LibriVox header?
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 08:17 PM   #23
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by badgoodDeb View Post
There's a thread around here about "what narrators do you love / hate" .... which has commented that narrators sometimes use different names at different places. So is it possible that it's the reader who has renamed themselves, and removed the LibriVox header?
That could be, but why be a party to selling a free book when it was supposed to be free in the first place and hiding that fact from the consumer?

I have no problem with narrators who use aliases, but I have a major problem with unknown publishers who take public domain recordings and sell the works as their own productions. It's quite deceptive.

If unknown publishers wish to get into the business of selling audiobooks of public domain works, then they need to hire their own narrators and record the books themselves.
Old 09-05-2019, 09:55 PM   #24
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
That could be, but why be a party to selling a free book when it was supposed to be free in the first place and hiding that fact from the consumer?

I have no problem with narrators who use aliases, but I have a major problem with unknown publishers who take public domain recordings and sell the works as their own productions. It's quite deceptive.

If unknown publishers wish to get into the business of selling audiobooks of public domain works, then they need to hire their own narrators and record the books themselves.
I wonder, though, what the narrators' role in this might be--are they willing participants who are making money from any sales, or has their work been used without their consent? If the former, I think I'd be OK with it.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 03:22 PM   #25
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
For ebooks, I'll side load, but for audio recordings (and for my style of use) I find it easier to stay mostly in the Audible sandbox. I have a bunch of other recordings, but I mostly don't use them, cuz Audible is easier. So anyway, I bought the GKChesterton set. The worst part will be keeping the chart of chapter number vs. short story start handy when I'm listening in the car, and only want one story.
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote