Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-03-2021, 02:24 AM   #16
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...
Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Blackberry Playbook, Sony 650, Kobo Glo, H2O, Aura One, Forma, Libra 2
David what you've tested is beyond my comprehension, except to think that the outcome is the sage has more clarity.

Was the brightness and natural light off at the time of your testing, or at what points were they on. (I'm presuming that's relevant, but as I say, I'm quite lost re your test)

Last edited by Lynx-lynx; 12-03-2021 at 02:31 AM.
Lynx-lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 02:28 AM   #17
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josieb1 View Post
I m It’s alright for everyone who’s been able to get a nice new kobo but perhaps once in a while people could appreciate that we are not all that lucky.

Your posts, which seem to border on a Pavlovian reflex, are definitely making sure people know that.
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-03-2021, 02:29 AM   #18
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...
Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@josieb1 I can understand your frustration and also understand why you mention the screen issue the device had. Not everyone can easily return a device, and purchasers need to consider they are buying something over the internet in a lot of cases, sight unseen and have to deal with the consequences.

Edit
I might add, those here that read most threads, and most posts in most threads do often read the same info multiple times, across multiple threads. To my mind that's understandable

Last edited by Lynx-lynx; 12-03-2021 at 02:33 AM.
Old 12-03-2021, 02:48 AM   #19
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Right now I’m peed off with kobo. I can honestly say I hate them. I’m also fed up of hearing how fabulous the new Kobo are and how bad the previous versions are. It’s alright for everyone who’s been able to get a nice new kobo but perhaps once in a while people could appreciate that we are not all that lucky. If I had a decent alternative to a kobo e-reader that wasn’t a kindle I would happily avoid kobo.
I'm sure you could buy a Kobo from another country, if you really wanted to. Obviously you're not used to doing that, but for many of us living in smaller countries it's unavoidable or we'd get nothing at all. Very few ereaders are sold in my country, for example, and even if they are, they tend to be much more expensive than elsewhere. I had to buy all ereaders I've ever had from abroad, sight unseen, sometimes even from the US. Nothing is stopping you from doing the same.

So don't call us lucky. Look for other options if you cannot get one from a local store. That's what many of us had to do.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 02:56 AM   #20
GlenRunciter
Enthusiast
GlenRunciter knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'GlenRunciter knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'GlenRunciter knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'GlenRunciter knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'GlenRunciter knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'GlenRunciter knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'GlenRunciter knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'GlenRunciter knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'GlenRunciter knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'GlenRunciter knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'GlenRunciter knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Kobo Sage
For me the speed of the Sage ist noticeably faster than the Formas.
GlenRunciter is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-03-2021, 03:20 AM   #21
Deobulakenyo
Guru
Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Boyue Likebook P78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
I'm sure you could buy a Kobo from another country, if you really wanted to. Obviously you're not used to doing that, but for many of us living in smaller countries it's unavoidable or we'd get nothing at all. Very few ereaders are sold in my country, for example, and even if they are, they tend to be much more expensive than elsewhere. I had to buy all ereaders I've ever had from abroad, sight unseen, sometimes even from the US. Nothing is stopping you from doing the same.

So don't call us lucky. Look for other options if you cannot get one from a local store. That's what many of us had to do.
A big book store had distributed kobo here in the Philippines, but while the book store remained, their distributorship of kobo devices stopped. probably because here in the Philippines, most readers prefer kindles.

So us who like kobo devices have no option but to order from the US or unoficial resellers.

Forwarders who charges 12-13 US$ are cheap enough for the items to reach the Philippines. Amazon can also deliver directly here for 15 US$

But, returns are almost impossible or at the very least very difficult and complicated process.
Deobulakenyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 09:59 AM   #22
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
As an update to my rant earlier, apologies for that, my Forma 32GB arrived today after all. Of course the order just says Processed . I wish I could say it was worth it but it wasn’t. Another yellow screen that’s going back.

And no I’m not ordering another device from Kobo, or any seller I couldn’t return to, again.

Ironically the safest seller for me is Amazon as long as they are the seller, and not a third party.

Last edited by Josieb1; 12-03-2021 at 12:14 PM.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 10:08 AM   #23
enuddleyarbl
Guru
enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by zenji View Post
Where is it? Im QI
I'm assuming he's talking about:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=342184 ("Kobo Sage Opinions")

On another note, I just wanted to add that I modified my OP slightly to reflect my battery life testing of my old Forma. Roughly speaking, that burns through 8% of the battery per hour of reading (12 hours of reading per charge). I'm still testing the Sage's battery life, but the worrying thing is that last night I read for a bit over 2 hours and it went through 38% of the battery (from 71% to 33%). That's about 18% per hour. Hopefully, I'll be able to totally drain and recharge it today so I can see if that changes the battery life.
enuddleyarbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 10:35 AM   #24
mezzanine
Groupie
mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KA1, Clara, Aura HD
I have sympathy for all of us who have to play the screen lottery every time we get a new e-reader. I have to figure larger 8 inch screens are more likely to have inconsistencies than smaller screens. When you stare hours a day at the same small surface area, small issues become magnified in your attention.

It's why, even though I'm disappointed in the Sage generally, I'd still choose to get one over a Forma if buying new. At the end of the day, it's about getting the best screen, and the best screens are the Carta 1200 with the most recent front light design.
mezzanine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 12:15 PM   #25
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
Quote:
Originally Posted by mezzanine View Post
I have sympathy for all of us who have to play the screen lottery every time we get a new e-reader. I have to figure larger 8 inch screens are more likely to have inconsistencies than smaller screens. When you stare hours a day at the same small surface area, small issues become magnified in your attention.

It's why, even though I'm disappointed in the Sage generally, I'd still choose to get one over a Forma if buying new. At the end of the day, it's about getting the best screen, and the best screens are the Carta 1200 with the most recent front light design.
I have a great deal of sympathy with those who can’t return devices too. If I was ever in that situation with Kobo I would just not buy an e-reader, I’d manage with what I had.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 12:51 PM   #26
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynx-lynx View Post
David what you've tested is beyond my comprehension, except to think that the outcome is the sage has more clarity.

Was the brightness and natural light off at the time of your testing, or at what points were they on. (I'm presuming that's relevant, but as I say, I'm quite lost re your test)
The frontlight has to be off for my testing since I want to measure the light being reflected from the screen without interference from the light being emitted by the frontlight. Basically, the Sage had slightly more light reflected from the white area and noticeably less light reflected from the black area.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 03:49 PM   #27
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Nova
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveLessnau View Post
For additional information, I just read for an hour on my Forma (same book as I'm reading on the Sage). The battery went from 39% to 32%. So, 7% per hour on the Forma vs 10% per hour on the Sage.

Seems pretty dire. I get that on an old battery on an Android reader which are supposed to have much shorter battery life.
Pajamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 03:52 PM   #28
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...

Quote:
........ Another yellow screen that’s going back.
do you think the ereader device wizards are playing with your choices

Last edited by Lynx-lynx; 12-03-2021 at 03:58 PM.
Old 12-03-2021, 03:55 PM   #29
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
The frontlight has to be off for my testing since I want to measure the light being reflected from the screen without interference from the light being emitted by the frontlight. Basically, the Sage had slightly more light reflected from the white area and noticeably less light reflected from the black area.
ah, thankyou
Old 12-03-2021, 03:57 PM   #30
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...

Are the battery issues mentionned for the sage something that can be rectified with a software update? Or is it a hardware thing?