Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-02-2021, 04:28 PM   #46
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...
Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Blackberry Playbook, Sony 650, Kobo Glo, H2O, Aura One, Forma, Libra 2
note: you can buy sage from Indigo at the link above, and get it shipped, for something like $50 ish less dollars than buying either the sage or forma here in aus.
Lynx-lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 04:39 PM   #47
mezzanine
Groupie
mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KA1, Clara, Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by zenji View Post
I'm not one to pick an argument, but since the manufacturers may (if they are wise) read these pages occasionally, I must strongly disagree.

If this were the case, I wouldn't be considering spending $250 USD to upgrade from the Libra H20 (i.e first gen) with its 6.72 GB available space, which I soon found inadequate (and even 'ungenerous' considering how cheap storage is now).

Some of us:
a) have alot of books and/or large books (eg. pdfs running even to 250 MB)
b) like to dip in and out of books
c) like to read a few different books at once

I really want to have ALL the main books I'm interested in:
a) reading
b) checking out
in one space

And for that I need at least 21GB, based on what I currently have on my Boox Air.

On the other hand, I also know people who only EVER read one book at once and would be happy with 1 GB! Then again, there are people who ONLY like paper books.

It's a very human thing to expect everyone to be like ourselves, but there's a wide variety in the way people do and enjoy things.
My argument is that 8GB is sufficient for the vast number of users when we we're talking specifically about books. If we are only talking about books, by the time one gets over 1000 books or so, the organizational limits inherent to working within an e-readers software classification system becomes inefficient compared to a computer. The increased data requirements of pdf, manga, comics users are unique use cases that don't factor for the average book reader.
mezzanine is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-02-2021, 04:42 PM   #48
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...
Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Blackberry Playbook, Sony 650, Kobo Glo, H2O, Aura One, Forma, Libra 2
okay, well my forma has a pleasant creamy screen with lighting turned off (in broad or shaded sun), whilst the libra 2 is grey. A definite grey.

the libra 2 is heavier than the forma, but I've gotten used to it (that is without the sleep cover), I can't comment on the initial libra, I don't own one.

As to returning a device, that's a hassle usually as you'd know, and whilst kobo offers a return you'd have to make sure of other companies policies. JB are good with phone returns for 6 months as you're probably aware, but I don't know about ereaders.

I've not returned an ereader and my other kobos were all bought at jb hi fi (I get a friends and family uni discount)
Lynx-lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 05:10 PM   #49
LivresInOz
LivresInOz
LivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityLivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityLivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityLivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityLivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityLivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityLivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityLivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityLivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityLivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityLivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead community

Device: Kobo: Forma + Libra|Galaxy: TAB A7 + Note 8 tablet|Boox: Note Air 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynx-lynx View Post
note: you can buy sage from Indigo at the link above, and get it shipped, for something like $50 ish less dollars than buying either the sage or forma here in aus.
Thanks, that's good to know...Sage is still on the table...just barely

FWIW JB Hifi and HN will have them for close to that price, around $439...but i think you'd have to wait
LivresInOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 05:12 PM   #50
LivresInOz
LivresInOz
LivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityLivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityLivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityLivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityLivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityLivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityLivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityLivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityLivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityLivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityLivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead community

Quote:
Originally Posted by mezzanine View Post
My argument is that 8GB is sufficient for the vast number of users when we we're talking specifically about books...over 1000 books or so, the organizational limits inherent to working within an e-readers software classification system becomes inefficient compared to a computer.
Yes, I would think for most people.

Tho I would actually argue that Kobo's interface is quite good for putting books into categories...certainly VASTLY better than Boox, which is
ABSOLUTE
TRASH
for that.
A nightmare.
(Something I intend to inform people about when I have time)

Plus, due to the help of people on here, I discovered how Calibre can really help to organise your books - both on your pc and your kobo at the same time...But NOT Boox!
Advert
Old 12-02-2021, 05:23 PM   #51
LivresInOz
LivresInOz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynx-lynx View Post
okay, well my forma has a pleasant creamy screen with lighting turned off (in broad or shaded sun), whilst the libra 2 is grey. A definite grey.
Ah, thanks for clarifying!

Just went outside and tried it on my Libra H20 (i.e Libra 1) - never had the light turned down completely like that, in sunlight!

I experienced it as perhaps a VERY light grey...but close to white.

But definitely totally acceptable, something I honestly wouldnt even differentiate as 'a thing'.

But I DID notice I have a tiny scratch on my screen. Arrrrgh ! I hate that ! I need to be more careful.

UPDATE: okay its so small that I had to go outside again and search for it and couldnt find it until I found a page with a space there instead of words...I wonder if the toothpaste trick people talk about for phone screens would fix it?

Last edited by LivresInOz; 12-02-2021 at 05:27 PM.
Old 12-02-2021, 08:39 PM   #52
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Having read a couple of posts that mentioned a concept I was previously unfamiliar with, something apparently called "outside", I decided to try it out. The photo shows my Sage in a VERY unnatural state, no frontlighting at all, the only illumination coming from 1AU away. It looks fine to me, I might try this "outside" thing more often, thanks!

https://i.imgur.com/E04Iqr2.jpg
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 09:57 AM   #53
LivresInOz
LivresInOz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Robin View Post
Having read a couple of posts that mentioned a concept I was previously unfamiliar with, something apparently called "outside", I decided to try it out....

I had no idea you could completely turn off the front light and just use that big 'top light' up there !