Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 11-06-2021, 11:40 AM   #31
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Oh, it is definitely a quirk of the sunxi SoCs, yeah (so, the Elipsa and the Sage).

Anyone with a PocketBook device and its Auto Standby feature disabled can tell you that .

It's harder to tell on the Elipsa because it happens to have two (comparatively) gigantic battery cells.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2021, 01:26 PM   #32
anacreon
Guru
anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa, Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
Oh, it is definitely a quirk of the sunxi SoCs, yeah (so, the Elipsa and the Sage).
Anyone with a PocketBook device and its Auto Standby feature disabled can tell you that .
It's harder to tell on the Elipsa because it happens to have two (comparatively) gigantic battery cells.
So I should give up hope on an improvement through F/W. What a pity Kobo decided NOT to have the same battery for Sage as for Elipsa, when they must have known the problem. Deciding to "solve" it with a charger cover is ridiculous (*). Many people will be discouraged from buying the Sage now that the reviews start coming (I wonder whether that is why they sent review Libra 2s and not Sages).

(*) We French have an old saying about "putting a plaster on a wooden leg", though I surmise most of the younger generations never heard it.
anacreon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-06-2021, 01:33 PM   #33
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
I would only hope for minor incremental improvements, yeah.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2021, 01:41 PM   #34
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
I guess that's also the reason why the frontlight on the Sage is much dimmer at 100% than on the Libra 1, for example.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2021, 01:48 PM   #35
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
I’m getting roughly 1hr for 5% drain give or take. Which gives around 20hrs of reading. Not running any mods, only patches. And if anything I’m over stating the drain (I.e. longer time read/in use than one hour precisely).

Not great but well within my acceptable amount given I won’t spend 20hours reading without going to sleep, and it’s unlikely that I’ll be away from a source of power for longer. Barring a rather extended blackout though really if my area gets a blackout lasting long enough for that to be an issue I’ll have bigger worries than reading.
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-06-2021, 02:20 PM   #36
albare
Connoisseur
albare could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.albare could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.albare could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.albare could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.albare could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.albare could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.albare could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.albare could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.albare could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.albare could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.albare could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: kobo h2o
This 5% by hour is with light on or with light off?

Enviado desde mi SM-A705FN mediante Tapatalk
albare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2021, 02:34 PM   #37
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by albare View Post
This 5% by hour is with light on or with light off?

On at 5% which is bright enough for me to read in the daytime with just a ceiling light on, and in bed with curtains closed but some ambient light from the street (very little, I’d not be able to read a paper book using the ambient light at night)

I also exclusively use dark mode, I could probably turn the light off entirely in the day with dark mode off, and maybe only have the light at 2-3% at night also with dark mode off. But I don’t think I’d gain enough battery life to make that more appealing. I’d need to see something around 15+ hours of gained battery life before I would even consider doing this, and even then it would only be a consideration.

If, by the time the power cover comes out I find the battery life is proving more of an issue than it seems to for me now, I’d probably just get that. How I’d use it depends on how heavy it makes the Sage, I’ll either leave the Sage in all the time or take it out and store the cover while reading.
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2021, 04:27 PM   #38
albare
Connoisseur
albare could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.albare could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.albare could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.albare could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.albare could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.albare could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.albare could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.albare could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.albare could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.albare could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.albare could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: kobo h2o
Yes. Setting the light to 5% -10% seems to be the solution. More light begins to be a problem.

albare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2021, 01:55 PM   #39
LivresInOz
LivresInOz
LivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityLivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityLivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityLivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityLivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityLivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityLivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityLivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityLivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityLivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityLivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead community

Device: Kobo: Forma + Libra|Galaxy: TAB A7 + Note 8 tablet|Boox: Note Air 2
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Robin View Post
...My personal circumstances mean that this shocking suckage is not enough reason to consider a return, but it does cast a pall on the experience, and make it more likely that my Libra H20 will remain my goto for really lengthy reading sessions. VERY disappointing.
...Robin, you've made your views on Kobo's battery life painfully and tediously clear!
LivresInOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2021, 02:03 PM   #40
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by LivresInOz View Post
...Robin, you've made your views on Kobo's battery life painfully and tediously clear!
Indeed I did make my views on the SAGE's battery life (NOT "Kobo's" since my Libra H2O's fine) repeatedly clear a month ago, which might be why you had to go back that far to find the relevant post to quote. Since then, the last comment I made about my Sage's battery life is that I've come to terms with it.
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2022, 03:56 AM   #41
anacreon
Guru
anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Is it getting worse?

I stepped back from 4.31, and am on 4.30.18838.
My Sage's battery dropped from 100% to 59% in 3 hours 50 min. I had the light at 25% to 30%, and natural light two steps up. I was mostly reading, but also navigating in the collections.
Old 02-03-2022, 09:18 AM   #42
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by anacreon View Post
My Sage's battery dropped from 100% to 59% in 3 hours 50 min. I had the light at 25% to 30%, and natural light two steps up. I was mostly reading, but also navigating in the collections.
That seems excessive. I've remained on 4.30 and battery usage is around 5-6% per hour, periodic highlighting & stylus use, brightness 18 to 20% with natural light ranging from 25 to 50% on the slider.
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2022, 09:45 AM   #43
AnimalOfArt
Groupie
AnimalOfArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnimalOfArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnimalOfArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnimalOfArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnimalOfArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnimalOfArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnimalOfArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnimalOfArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnimalOfArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnimalOfArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnimalOfArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: changing frequently
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krios View Post
I ordered Libra 2, i was thinking about selling Pocketbook IP3, and ordering Sage too, but i'm glad i didn't, IP3 is 2.5 years old and battery is still great (more than 30 hours of reading).
Yes, the Inkpads battery is phenomenal: I have an IP3 Pro and using KOReader with no frontlight the battery drains about 1 percent in an hour,.
AnimalOfArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2022, 03:17 AM   #44
anacreon
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by anacreon View Post
Well, last night was much better. This time I just read and the battery dropped from 100% to 85% in three hours.
Possibly, I navigated much more than I remembered the day before???
Old 02-04-2022, 10:14 AM   #45
black
Banned
black began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox, Libra 2
I returned my Sage.

Why?

Because the battery usage is too high. I did like the larger display though. But even in a few years time, the resale value will be very bad. Its better to get rid of it right now.

In the mean time - until there is a better alternative available - I will use a Libra 2.

Ordered one today and it will arrive later this evening.

Kobo - if you read this, please make a nice 8"-9" available next time (Carta 1400 ?) without the battery problems and without notetaking stylus. Just a device to read epubs.

Forget note taking. (That will never work properly and it is too expensive to R&D compared to eg Apple products.). Make sure that it uses fast internal memory and storage. USB 3.1 or better. If possible, use a 14 nm processor (or better).
black is offline   Reply With Quote