Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Marvin

Notices

Old 09-19-2020, 05:27 AM   #1
svenlind
Fanatic
svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Kobo Sage and Libra 2,Ipad mini 5
Marvin and IOS14

Marvin is important to me. I would really like to hear if any of you have encountered problems with IOS 14?
Positive news are also very welcome.
TIA
svenlind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 07:25 AM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by svenlind View Post
Marvin is important to me. I would really like to hear if any of you have encountered problems with IOS 14?
Positive news are also very welcome.
TIA
I have not tried everything, but it seems to work.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-19-2020, 01:33 PM   #3
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
I actually run betas on my backup device to test for Marvin compatibility.

I've been using iPadOS 14 since around July and Marvin works fine. iOS 14 actually fixed a text selection bug I had in dialog boxes with iOS 13 and iPad 7 (unsupported resolution).

Obviously still less than ideal on notched iPhones if using light backgrounds.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 04:27 AM   #4
svenlind
Fanatic
svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Kobo Sage and Libra 2,Ipad mini 5
Thank you for your replies. I have installed IOS14 on my 9.7 iPad pro, and Marvin seems certainly to be working allright.
svenlind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 11:11 AM   #5
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
I actually run betas on my backup device to test for Marvin compatibility.

I've been using iPadOS 14 since around July and Marvin works fine. iOS 14 actually fixed a text selection bug I had in dialog boxes with iOS 13 and iPad 7 (unsupported resolution).

Obviously still less than ideal on notched iPhones if using light backgrounds.
That's pretty much what I do. Eventually Marvin will stop working as they change the API's, but so far no problem.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-20-2020, 04:55 PM   #6
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
That's pretty much what I do. Eventually Marvin will stop working as they change the API's, but so far no problem.
Sad thing is the alternative I was okay with (Hyphen) seems to have been abandoned as well. I've tried MapleRead, KyBook, etc. but I still keep going back to Marvin.
Old 09-20-2020, 06:42 PM   #7
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Sad thing is the alternative I was okay with (Hyphen) seems to have been abandoned as well. I've tried MapleRead, KyBook, etc. but I still keep going back to Marvin.
It's basically a niche market that seems to be more of a hobby than a business. The vast majority stick with whatever reading app is associated with the store they use - Kindle, Books or Kobo. After a few years, most developers get bored with it.
Old 09-21-2020, 12:09 AM   #8
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
It's basically a niche market that seems to be more of a hobby than a business. The vast majority stick with whatever reading app is associated with the store they use - Kindle, Books or Kobo. After a few years, most developers get bored with it.
Yeah, I know.

Until we go through another transition similar to 32- to 64-bit, I think Marvin should work fine with basic usage (reading books and browsing the library). It's Dropbox support and iCloud syncing that's iffy.

I can easily give up progress syncing but if Dropbox goes, I'll probably end up using Books.

Last edited by ilovejedd; 09-21-2020 at 12:23 AM.
Old 09-21-2020, 08:08 AM   #9
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
As long as OPDS continues to work then I'll be sticking with Marvin....actually forget that....I'll probably figure out a workaround even then. It would have to be a really good program for it to outperform Marvin!
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 08:08 AM   #10
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Yeah, I know.

Until we go through another transition similar to 32- to 64-bit, I think Marvin should work fine with basic usage (reading books and browsing the library). It's Dropbox support and iCloud syncing that's iffy.

I can easily give up progress syncing but if Dropbox goes, I'll probably end up using Books.
Progress syncing is a biggie for me, but I don't use dropbox to store ebooks.
Old 09-21-2020, 11:35 AM   #11
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle91 View Post
As long as OPDS continues to work then I'll be sticking with Marvin....actually forget that....I'll probably figure out a workaround even then. It would have to be a really good program for it to outperform Marvin!
I read a lot of in progress works so I need to be able to easily overwrite existing books in the library. In-app Dropbox is the only source that allows that in Marvin.

Every other source (OPDS, web server, cloud picker or import via iOS share sheet) just gives a message that the book's already in the library. If I want to overwrite, I'd need to search for the book, manually delete it and download again.

I would prefer to use OPDS or web server instead of Dropbox. I requested the overwrite option for other book sources a couple of times back when Kris was still active. Alas, he never did implement it so Dropbox is my fallback.
Old 10-12-2020, 09:56 AM   #12
maxyn83
Enthusiast
maxyn83 began at the beginning.

Device: iphone 13pm
On my iPhone SE2, I have ios 14.2 (Beta) although problems started since 14.1. I can't download books from Dropbox any more, keep getting error. And the scroll bar on the bottom doesn't work very well. When I try to scroll books to the middle of a chapter, it keeps going back to the front. Takes a few swipes before it will scroll but I cant scroll slowly to look for a certain page.

I'm still on ios13 on my main phone just coz I find the Marvin on the ios14 buggy. I'd rather have a working Marvin than new features on ios14

Really wish Marvin would get updated. I'd buy it again in a heartbeat! Have tried others but I keep returning to Marvin just coz it's easier to use, very organized and has more settings.
maxyn83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 10:26 PM   #13
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b

You’re right. Tested on both iPadOS 14.0.1 and 14.2 Public Beta 2 and scrubbing is funky. Lol, I guess I never use that feature much.

That said, Dropbox is working fine for me. Have you tried restarting the device and/or re-linking Dropbox?
Old 10-13-2020, 12:00 AM   #14
maxyn83
Enthusiast
maxyn83 began at the beginning.

Device: iphone 13pm
Quote:
You’re right. Tested on both iPadOS 14.0.1 and 14.2 Public Beta 2 and scrubbing is funky. Lol, I guess I never use that feature much.

That said, Dropbox is working fine for me. Have you tried restarting the device and/or re-linking Dropbox?
thank you! Re-link my dropbox again and it's working fine now. Only problem left is the scrolling so far.
maxyn83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 01:46 AM   #15
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, iPad Pro 10", iPhone 15 Pro
What ever happened to the developer of Marvin? I remember when it first came out and immediately blew us all away. I bought two different versions, even though I almost never read on my phone, in order to support the ongoing development of such an awesome program, and then... he just went away? I remember that he used to post here fairly regularly too.
twowheels is offline   Reply With Quote