Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 01-29-2011, 06:37 PM   #1
evamaria
evamaria began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Unhappy Library empty in Calibre

I've been using Calibre for a year or so, with no real problems - but when I opened it today, not having changed anything since my last use yesterday, the library appeared empty.

I checked, and the files are still there (in my Dropbox folder for back-up purposes), the location is still selected correctly, but the books simply do not show up in Calibre. I upgraded to the latest version (0.7.43) in the hopes that this would fix the issue, but no luck. It doesn't seem to recognize that there are books in the folder. I also tried running the set-up wizard again.

I'd appreciate any help - considering all files are in Calibre's archive structure, having to re-add them would be a huge pain in the butt...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 1.png
Views:	675
Size:	368.4 KB
ID:	65737  

Last edited by evamaria; 01-29-2011 at 06:41 PM. Reason: Typo
evamaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 08:09 PM   #2
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by evamaria View Post
I checked, and the files are still there (in my Dropbox folder for back-up purposes), the location is still selected correctly, but the books simply do not show up in Calibre. I upgraded to the latest version (0.7.43) in the hopes that this would fix the issue, but no luck. It doesn't seem to recognize that there are books in the folder. I also tried running the set-up wizard again.
Close calibre, open the dropbox website from the dropbox icon and review previous versions of the metadata.db file (in the main folder of your library). If you are seeing 0 books then this file got corrupted. Restore the last version (most likely larger then the current size) of this file that worked for you and start calibre. If you go back to too old a version you will lose database entries for books you added after that time. See attached for clarification.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dropbox_menu_previous_versions.jpg
Views:	663
Size:	46.7 KB
ID:	65740   Click image for larger version

Name:	dropbox_previous_versions.jpg
Views:	718
Size:	91.7 KB
ID:	65741  
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-30-2011, 12:47 AM   #3
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
An alternative is to use the calibredb command with the restore-database option to rebuild the database from the calibre library folders and files.

This does require you to have previously been running a recent enough version of Calibre for the book folders to contain a metadata.opf file to get all metadata recovered, but the generation of that file has been a feature of Calibre for some time now.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 08:27 AM   #4
evamaria
evamaria began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Thanks to both of you!

You were right, metadata.db had been corrupted somehow. For some reason Dropbox didn't have a functioning version stored, but the command line solution restored almost all of my library, it seems like.

Again, thanks for your help!
evamaria is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
calibre, library, troubleshooting