Notices

Old 09-22-2011, 12:43 PM   #1
ccraig13
ccraig13 began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone 3G
Google Analytics URLs won't validate

I have the following url:
Code:
<a href="http://example.com/?utm_source=book%2Btitle&utm_medium=ebook&utm_content=other%2Bbook&utm_campaign=ebook%2Bclicks">example.com</a>
which generates this error:
Code:
The operation you requested cannot
be performed because book_split_007.xhtml
is not a well-formed XML document.

An error was found on line 412, column 111:
unterminated entity reference 'utm_medium'.
This URL is generated directly from Google's link generator

So it seems to not understand that the code is in an href.
ccraig13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 02:01 PM   #2
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
It could possibly be because that is not an existing document, or because the slash at the end of the domain, followed directly by the question mark, is unusual. Normally, when parameters are passed, there is a program name after the slash, and before the question mark. Maybe the validation algorithm didn't expect that combination?
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-22-2011, 03:52 PM   #3
charleski
Wizard
charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
You need to change the '&'s to '&amp;'s otherwise the XML parser thinks they are the start of entities.
charleski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 04:05 PM   #4
ccraig13
ccraig13 began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone 3G
I forgot this is an xml document not an html. Thanks!
ccraig13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 02:16 PM   #5
Leverpullr
Leverpullr began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle/generic android tablet
Hi,
I am experiencing this same 'unterminated entity reference' when Sigil finds an '&' in an html link within my epub. It is like the above example, and I tried replacing the '&' with '&amp;' but then this breaks my link (which is an affiliate link to a product at an online store).

Is there any work around to get Sigil to ignore this...or will I need to manually edit the xhtml outside of Sigil and then re-zip the files into an epub as the final step before publishing to Apple/B&N, etc.

Thanks in advance!
Leverpullr is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-17-2012, 02:32 PM   #6
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
No, it should work. In which view are you making the change?
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 02:44 PM   #7
Leverpullr

I made the edit in 'code view' (see below)
<a href="http://www.shareasale.com/r.cfm?u=666470&amp;b=358708&amp;m=37742&amp;afftra ck=rng&amp;urllink=www%2Ebotachtactical%2Ecom%2Fta grho%2Ehtml">MR Grappling hook</a>

Sigil likes that..no error now, but if I then try the modified link in my browser it is broken at the link target's server end due to the & substitutions I think.
Old 07-18-2012, 02:52 AM   #8
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
Do you know there is a space in the link? I don't know if that is on purpose or a copy/past error. Spaces can create an issue in links. You can replace it by %20 if I remember correctly.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 04:17 PM   #9
Leverpullr

You are right, but yes I thick that was a paste error (it doesn't work even with it removed).
I did more tests and it seems that the issue is at the target server which doesn't like the XHTML-correct link. I work with other affiliate links that contain 'ampersand%;' and they do function correctly. Luckily this one had another option to create shortened "license plate" links, as favored by social network sites etc. When I did it that way is was a much shorter one with no ampersand headaches.

So this isn't an issue for me within Sigil anymore. Thanks again.