Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-14-2016, 10:09 PM   #1
guiyoforward
Zealot
guiyoforward is a jewel in the roughguiyoforward is a jewel in the roughguiyoforward is a jewel in the roughguiyoforward is a jewel in the roughguiyoforward is a jewel in the roughguiyoforward is a jewel in the roughguiyoforward is a jewel in the roughguiyoforward is a jewel in the roughguiyoforward is a jewel in the roughguiyoforward is a jewel in the roughguiyoforward is a jewel in the rough

Device: Kindle DX Graphite
Kindle Voyage boots but stuck at screensaver

Hi everyone, I had a crecked screen on my Voyage, bought a used screen from powerbookdoctor, and replaced it. Fully charged, seemed to be ok. Unfortunately, it gets stuck on the screensaver. If i press the power button, after about a minute it goes to the main menu/screen/UIwith backlight on but it then goes back immediately to the screen saver. I tried many many resets, 30, 40, 60 seconds, plugged, unplugged, plugged to a computer - it's recognized ok, i also tried wiping the documents and the other folder, and always the same.
I cannot do a factory reset, nor can I update the firmware manually, nor jailbreak it, because all these require entering the original user interface, which is what mine won't do. The kubrick cd seems not to be available for the voyage. Any suggestions welcome. Thanks!!!
guiyoforward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 11:04 PM   #2
guiyoforward
Zealot
guiyoforward is a jewel in the roughguiyoforward is a jewel in the roughguiyoforward is a jewel in the roughguiyoforward is a jewel in the roughguiyoforward is a jewel in the roughguiyoforward is a jewel in the roughguiyoforward is a jewel in the roughguiyoforward is a jewel in the roughguiyoforward is a jewel in the roughguiyoforward is a jewel in the roughguiyoforward is a jewel in the rough

Ps after some more observation, it flashes the backlight and goes to the UI for one second every 3-5 minutes on its own, not after i press the on button.
Could this be hardware related? The small ribbon clip connectors are very flimsy and hard to reconnect properly, and there are 6 or 7 of them...

Last edited by guiyoforward; 08-14-2016 at 11:11 PM.
Advert
Old 08-15-2016, 01:19 AM   #3
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Create a blank file called "DO_FACTORY_RESTORE" (no file extension, be careful as Windows usually tries to hide file extensions and will by default create a .txt file with a hidden file extension).
Then reboot the Kindle.

This will do exactly what it suggests -- tell the Kindle to perform a factory restore.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 12:14 PM   #4
guiyoforward
Zealot

Thanks! I didnt knowmthat trick. It did restart differently, it took longer and there was a spinning circle below the guy reading under he tree, but it is still stuck on the screensaver. Could it be a corrupted rom? How can I re-flash the firmware without access to the UI?
I doubt it's hardware, it should either work with all ribbons correctly connected or not at all, right?
Thanks again!
Old 08-15-2016, 12:23 PM   #5
guiyoforward
Zealot

Ps it now flashes to the languagemselection screen. Weird. There might be a bad connection triggering a power off button switch. I will re attach the ribbons just in case
Advert
Old 08-18-2016, 05:48 AM   #6
Yourcat
Groupie
Yourcat knows the way to San Jose.Yourcat knows the way to San Jose.Yourcat knows the way to San Jose.Yourcat knows the way to San Jose.Yourcat knows the way to San Jose.Yourcat knows the way to San Jose.Yourcat knows the way to San Jose.Yourcat knows the way to San Jose.Yourcat knows the way to San Jose.Yourcat knows the way to San Jose.Yourcat knows the way to San Jose.

Device: PW3 5.6.5-usbnet
You may ask a mod to move this thread in the developer sub-forum. The firmware can be updated via Usb-upload and reboot.
Yourcat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
stuck, unresponsive, voyage