Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 07-28-2014, 01:15 PM   #16
cougarkittyn
cougarkittyn began at the beginning.

Device: KindleFire
kindlefire not seen by computer FIX

I have 8 different Kindle Fire devices for my family. I tried to hook my daughter's best friend's Kindle to my computer so I could books on hers through Calibre. My computer couldn't see her Kindle. I tried different ports. Nothing. It could see all the other Kindle devices just fine (HD and non-HD alike) - just not hers (a second generation Kindle). I dug for hours trying to figure it out. At last I stumbled upon your post that helped. With just a little bit of tweaking. This is what I did and my computer sees it fine and Calibre is working beautifully with it.

Systems I used:
Windows 7 Home Premium SP 1
KindleFire Gen 2 System Version: 10.5.0_user_5060020

DISCLAIMER: Messing with device drivers is NOT for the unexperienced user, and can much mess up your computer beyond the point that the same user can repair it. I cannot take responsibility nor offer help if things go wrong beyond your capability to repair it.

Connect your kindle (as normal- you don't need to slide to unlock or anything... just connect it)
Open your Device Manager: Click Start -> (search) Device Manager

If your device was not recognized, a device with a yellow exclamation mark will be listed under Other devices. Mine was just listed as "mtp".

It stated that there were driver issues including an MTP issue.

To set your Kindle as a Kindle portable device, do this:
Right-click the device in the Device Manager and select Uninstall. This removes the current driver, and provided you disabled automatic driver installation, will leave it as a unrecognized device with the yellow exclamation mark icon under Other devices. You may have to unplug and replug the Kindle after you uninstall it in order to see it listed under the "Other devices".
Right-click the device again and select Update Driver Software ->Browse my computer for driver software -> Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer.
You should now have a large list of common hardware types. Here, scroll down and select portable devices -> Standard mtp device -> mtp USB device under the Disk drive.
You will be prompted to confirm this selection, click Yes. The Kindle will now be recognized as a portable device listed as "Kindle" by your computer.
Calibre sees it fine. It is now listed under my "My Computer" as a portable device sublisted as a Kindle.

Doing this did NOT change how my computer saw my KindleFire HD 8.9. It did not change anything EXCEPT the particular Kindle that would not be seen previously. I hope this helps some others who are lost figure out theirs as well.
cougarkittyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 04:14 PM   #17
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by cougarkittyn View Post
I have 8 different Kindle Fire devices for my family.
- - - -
Wrong forum.
We don't do COLOR here, just shades of gray.

I.E: This forum is for the e-ink, grayscale, Kindles.
There is another forum for the Kindle Fire devices.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-12-2014, 06:58 AM   #18
thisisnotsound
thisisnotsound began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Paperwhite can't connect

I have the same issue, my reader (Kindle paperwhite 5.4.4.2) is charging with anything but not showing as a device. I tried it with 5+ cables (all of them works fine with smartphones and external hdd-s) and 5+ computers.
When I plug it I do not even hear the "new device plugged" sound.
I restarted everything attached and separately.
I did factory reset on the reader attached and separately.

please
thisisnotsound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 08:34 AM   #19
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thisisnotsound View Post
I have the same issue, my reader (Kindle paperwhite 5.4.4.2) is charging with anything but not showing as a device. I tried it with 5+ cables (all of them works fine with smartphones and external hdd-s) and 5+ computers.
When I plug it I do not even hear the "new device plugged" sound.
I restarted everything attached and separately.
I did factory reset on the reader attached and separately.

please
Have you tried the advice given in post 15 of this thread? :
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...4&postcount=15
Old 08-13-2014, 06:30 AM   #20
thisisnotsound

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Have you tried the advice given in post 15 of this thread? :
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...4&postcount=15

Maybe I was not clear. The computers does not recognize the kindle AT ALL, not as an unknown device nor network adapter or anything else.

When I plug it there is no sound alert, or notification at all.

Amazon says they are not repairing anything, but if I give back my otherwise spotless reader they can give a 30% discount on a new one.

I also brought it to a local tablet service shop, they refused to open the case but examined the connector from the outside and said it was not damaged. They also tried to connect it and said that the charging is ok but the device is not communicating via USB at all.

And I forgot to mention that I previously got a software update via wifi, I had the reader well loaded before so I plugged only for charging for a few months, and I noticed that there is no data connection with the computer recently.

Maybe Amazon noticed me this way that it is time to buy a new one...
Well, I will not buy anything else from them if this is the case.

Last edited by thisisnotsound; 08-13-2014 at 06:32 AM.
Advert
Old 08-13-2014, 09:16 AM   #21
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by thisisnotsound View Post
- - - -
Maybe Amazon noticed me this way that it is time to buy a new one...
Well, I will not buy anything else from them if this is the case.
Thanks for the additional info -
that you had a third party (that repair shop) check the device.

Sounds like its toast now.

- - - - - -

You are not the only one with those feelings toward Amazon.
Old 08-19-2014, 03:25 AM   #22
thisisnotsound

Quote:
Thanks for the additional info -
that you had a third party (that repair shop) check the device.

Sounds like its toast now.

- - - - - -

You are not the only one with those feelings toward Amazon.
Additional info:

The local serviceman also told that the "power lines" are the lateral, the "data lines" are the medial wires of a micro USB plug, so in case of physical damage the power must be down first. So in my case (power OK, no data) physical damage of the connector is very unlikely.

I will not buy anything from Amazon from now, back then the HD display was the "selling point", nowadays I can buy other devices with the same display. BTW Amazon does not sell any ebooks in my language...

Last edited by thisisnotsound; 08-19-2014 at 03:30 AM.
Old 01-16-2016, 02:16 PM   #23
technofunky
technofunky began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo, iPad Air
Was having the same issue, googled and landed here. Its 2016 and yes a simple change of cable worked for me.
technofunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 02:35 PM   #24
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by technofunky View Post
Was having the same issue, googled and landed here. Its 2016 and yes a simple change of cable worked for me.
Devices that use a USB cable for power only are becoming more and more common.
Those devices come with a 'power only' (2-wire not 4-wire) cable.

So using the cable that comes with your (for instance) blue tooth speakers just is not going to make your Kindle 'work'.

quote:
"It can not be my cable, I am using the one that came with my brand new blue tooth speakers."
(Really. That is posted around here somewhere.)

Last edited by knc1; 01-16-2016 at 02:38 PM.
Old 01-16-2016, 03:34 PM   #25
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Devices that use a USB cable for power only are becoming more and more common.
Those devices come with a 'power only' (2-wire not 4-wire) cable.

So using the cable that comes with your (for instance) blue tooth speakers just is not going to make your Kindle 'work'.

quote:
"It can not be my cable, I am using the one that came with my brand new blue tooth speakers."
(Really. That is posted around here somewhere.)
Can you tell at a glance?
Oh and those 10 foot cheap fabric USB cables will not charge tablets.
They will charge some phones.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 04:20 PM   #26
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
Cut it in half and count the wires.

Otherwise, probably not (the connectors **usually** still have all of the contacts).
Old 01-16-2016, 06:45 PM   #27
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Cut it in half and count the wires.

Otherwise, probably not (the connectors **usually** still have all of the contacts).
Ok cut it open, now how do I put it back together?

Just kidding but couldn't resist.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 09:41 PM   #28
Patton1942
Patton1942 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite gen.1
Quote:
Originally Posted by aditya3098 View Post
Replace the cable

He's right. I had the same problem, but I was using a older, thin cable. I can't be certain but I believe it was a power transmission cable and didn't transmit data. I got a different cable and it worked just fine.

Good luck, hope this helps.
Patton1942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 11:28 PM   #29
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
I know it's an old thread, but thought I'd keep the options together. I had a problem today where I couldn't get my Windows 10 to see a Voyage, Kindle Keyboard, Kindle Fire and a Nook Glo. No idea what happened since all of these worked a week ago. Device Manager would not find them (but WOULD find a Nook HD+).

Solution: I reset each device (not factory reset) and then no problems. The Voyage has a reset in the menu. The other devices required holding the power button down for 20 seconds and then restarting after a few seconds. After the reset, I replugged them into the computer and computer saw them like nothing happened.

Hope this helps someone.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 11:31 PM   #30
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
I disagree. They do charge, but it will take all night instead of an hour or two. I use those long ones regularly to charge my tablets - they are great if you are not in a hurry. I save the 'better' cords for actually hooking up to the computer.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote