Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 09-26-2022, 10:57 AM   #1
holdit
Connoisseur
holdit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holdit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holdit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holdit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holdit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holdit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holdit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holdit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holdit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holdit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holdit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, IPad
Sigil- Calibre Metadata edit problem

Ok for years opened converted files from InDesign , Word etc. in Sigil to manually edit any html , images etc . I never knew any way in Sigil to convert the epub to mobi, AZW3, so after Sigil I would use Calibre to do the following:

Correct any metadata
convert to mobi, AZw3 etc.

Now I see when I correct the metadata in Sigil ( it usually has the file name from the app it was originally titled ) save it, it still has same metadata. So I open in Calibre add or change meta to what I want and after save it STILL has the same metadata. I'm using the newest version of Calibre on a Mac.

Anyone?
R
holdit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2022, 11:41 AM   #2
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by holdit View Post
Now I see when I correct the metadata in Sigil ( it usually has the file name from the app it was originally titled ) save it, it still has same metadata. So I open in Calibre add or change meta to what I want and after save it STILL has the same metadata.
You'll need to explain that a little better. You're saying you edit the metadata in Sigil, save it, but then edits you made didn't take? Same for calibre? If so, that doesn't add up. After "editing the metadata", what are you using to view said metadata in order to see that it hasn't changed?
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2022, 11:45 AM   #3
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
AFAIR, calibre only reads the metadata from an epub on import so it would not see any changes you make using Sigil unless you remove and re-import the epub.

Generally, my workflow is to use calibre to update the metadata, cover images, etc. and ModifyePub to embed them in the epub. I then use Sigil to edit the epub (I could use calibre's editor but I find some tasks are easier using Sigil and it's plugins).
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2022, 12:19 PM   #4
holdit
Connoisseur
holdit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holdit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holdit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holdit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holdit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holdit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holdit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holdit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holdit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holdit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holdit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, IPad
OK, this particular project is an epub ( flowing) exported from InDesign. I had to do manual edits in Sigil, resize images add some new css etc. the file is saved as xx1epub and I save in Sigil using same filename but an s at the end. Now I open in Calibre so I change / add metadata in the edit metadata window.

Save and go to Convert Books and choose ASW3 so I get epub mobi and ASW3 files after save.

Once that's done I open the saved Epub in Ibooks and see the title of the book is there same as before I saved and the author is not there either.

I see now I'm using an older version of Calibre I'm going to try to do this in the newest Calibre.
holdit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2022, 12:46 PM   #5
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
OK, this particular project is an epub ( flowing) exported from InDesign. I had to do manual edits in Sigil, resize images add some new css etc. the file is saved as xx1epub and I save in Sigil using same filename but an s at the end. Now I open in Calibre so I change / add metadata in the edit metadata window.

Save and go to Convert Books and choose ASW3 so I get epub mobi and ASW3 files after save.

Once that's done I open the saved Epub in Ibooks and see the title of the book is there same as before I saved and the author is not there either.

I see now I'm using an older version of Calibre I'm going to try to do this in the newest Calibre.
You could try not saving the book back into your calibre library since it will not be seen by calibre since it would not be in the database. I would save it to a temp location and then import the edited file to calibre.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2022, 01:01 PM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
AFAIR, calibre only reads the metadata from an epub on import so it would not see any changes you make using Sigil unless you remove and re-import the epub.

Generally, my workflow is to use calibre to update the metadata, cover images, etc. and ModifyePub to embed them in the epub. I then use Sigil to edit the epub (I could use calibre's editor but I find some tasks are easier using Sigil and it's plugins).
You can use the icons (cover or metadata) next to Formats in the Calibre MDE to force a read from the selected format
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2022, 01:03 PM   #7
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Now I open in Calibre so I change / add metadata in the edit metadata window.

If I am understanding you correctly then you are missing a step. Is the "edit metadata window" the one you get by selecting a book and pressing 'E'? Not by opening the full calibre editor? If so then the new metadata is stored only in calibre's database. It is not stored in the book. You must "embed" the new metadata using the "Polish books" tool, the modify epub plugin, or by converting from epub to epub (there might be other ways as well). In the last case be aware that calibre prefers the original_epub format when doing the conversion.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2022, 04:04 PM   #8
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Or skip Indesign, add a docx to Calibre. Update metadata and convert to epub.
Then if desired tweak image CSS in Sigil or Calibre Editor. If the styles & headings are done right in Word or LO Writer there is no need to edit TOC, HTML or text CSS.

Never had a problem with missing epub metadata using that workflow for either publishing or direct USB copy.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote