Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 11-26-2018, 08:39 PM   #1
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
Buying iBooks

Is there a way to buy from the iBook store on my PC or does it have to be done via my iPad? I have not found a way yet.
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 08:48 PM   #2
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcladyz View Post
Is there a way to buy from the iBook store on my PC or does it have to be done via my iPad? I have not found a way yet.
Only for Mac users I believe.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-26-2018, 09:01 PM   #3
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Is there a particular reason to buy from the iBook store? AFAIK there is no reliable way to remove their DRM, so I refuse to buy from them.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 05:15 AM   #4
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
Is there a particular reason to buy from the iBook store? AFAIK there is no reliable way to remove their DRM, so I refuse to buy from them.
There is, however it only works with PC's and Sierra and before on Macs.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 05:56 AM   #5
drofgnal
Wizard
drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad Pro/Kindle Oasis 3/iPhone 13 Pro Max
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcladyz View Post
You can install iTunes on a pc. With that, you should have access to the iTunes store.

Edit: Itunes will only get you audiobooks, sorry for the confusion.

Last edited by drofgnal; 11-27-2018 at 05:59 AM.
drofgnal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-29-2018, 09:25 PM   #6
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
Quote:
Originally Posted by drofgnal View Post
You can install iTunes on a pc. With that, you should have access to the iTunes store.

Edit: Itunes will only get you audiobooks, sorry for the confusion.
I see no book store on itunes
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 04:50 PM   #7
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
As big of an Apple fan as I am, I buy very few iBooks. I buy from Amazon even though I like the iBook app better than the Kindle app. Kindle books available on Android as well as iOS...and easier to liberate them so you can back them up. Prices are most always the same.
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 09:08 PM   #8
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by leebase View Post
As big of an Apple fan as I am, I buy very few iBooks. I buy from Amazon even though I like the iBook app better than the Kindle app. Kindle books available on Android as well as iOS...and easier to liberate them so you can back them up. Prices are most always the same.
Apple really hasn't been pushing their ebooks very hard until the last couple of months. I've been playing with the Apple ebook store since the most recent release. It's interesting. Amazon is still my go to place, but I've bought several books from Apple in recent months. I've easy enough to liberate the books if you have the right software and a Mac that has a version of OS X that is prior to High Sierra.

Competition is always good.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 07:38 AM   #9
johnnyb
Cloud Reader
johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kindle Scribe, iPad Pro 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
I've easy enough to liberate the books if you have the right software and a Mac that has a version of OS X that is prior to High Sierra.
Pray do tell!
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 02:04 PM   #10
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
Apple really hasn't been pushing their ebooks very hard until the last couple of months. I've been playing with the Apple ebook store since the most recent release. It's interesting. Amazon is still my go to place, but I've bought several books from Apple in recent months. I've easy enough to liberate the books if you have the right software and a Mac that has a version of OS X that is prior to High Sierra.

Competition is always good.
I always upgrade to the latest OS. I don't care enough about liberating iBooks to change this. I agree that it's nice to have competition. I was one who could never understand why so many folks on here favored Amazon in their fight with the publishers. When Apple lost, it took away competition.
Old 12-10-2018, 03:51 PM   #11
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by leebase View Post
I always upgrade to the latest OS. I don't care enough about liberating iBooks to change this. I agree that it's nice to have competition. I was one who could never understand why so many folks on here favored Amazon in their fight with the publishers. When Apple lost, it took away competition.
The lawsuit took years to resolve. By then it was clear that there would never again be competition on basis of price, as publisher contracts that were drawn in the interim, for the most part, preclude it, and are no longer subject to the price-fixing issues present when the lawsuit was initiated. So while Apple lost the lawsuit, Amazon lost the ability to set prices. The principle of competition lost out.

Even if you are self-publishing on both Apple and Amazon, terms of service for both insist on price matching, even though the respective services are not equivalent in features and so forth.

Competition is now on basis of service and ecosystem features. Amazon seems to be winning at that, and it seems irrefutable that they give their ecosystem more attention than anybody.

Ideally consumers could legally migrate ebook purchases to the ecosystem of their choice in a convenient way, maybe using blockchain technology. But there is no current business incentive that would drive this innovation.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 05:35 PM   #12
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
I love iDevices. But I can buy digital books from Amazon, and read them on my Kindle, or any of my iDevices, and even an old android phone if I want, without the need to "liberate" them.

But Apple books can only be read on iDevices. No e-ink devices at all, without, as mentioned, liberating them. Since we don't have a Mac at this time, and have no plans to buy one, iBooks are too limiting for me.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 06:37 PM   #13
leebase
Karma Kameleon

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
The lawsuit took years to resolve. By then it was clear that there would never again be competition on basis of price, as publisher contracts that were drawn in the interim, for the most part, preclude it, and are no longer subject to the price-fixing issues present when the lawsuit was initiated. So while Apple lost the lawsuit, Amazon lost the ability to set prices. The principle of competition lost out.

Even if you are self-publishing on both Apple and Amazon, terms of service for both insist on price matching, even though the respective services are not equivalent in features and so forth.

Competition is now on basis of service and ecosystem features. Amazon seems to be winning at that, and it seems irrefutable that they give their ecosystem more attention than anybody.

Ideally consumers could legally migrate ebook purchases to the ecosystem of their choice in a convenient way, maybe using blockchain technology. But there is no current business incentive that would drive this innovation.
Amazon's predatory pricing is what started the whole thing. Publisher's and other book sellers alike were under assault from Amazon's near infinite access to cash and no need to make profits...buying up marketshare, putting the competition out or keeping them from entering, which was Apple’s case.

Apple wanted to enter the market but was not willing to invest hundreds of millions to enter a product selling goods for a loss...which is what Amazon was doing.
Old 12-11-2018, 03:56 PM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deskisamess View Post
But Apple books can only be read on iDevices. No e-ink devices at all, without, as mentioned, liberating them. Since we don't have a Mac at this time, and have no plans to buy one, iBooks are too limiting for me.
We here at MR are scarcely “typical” ebook consumers, though. “Normal” customers buy books on the device they read on and don’t give a damn about format conversion.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 12:45 AM   #15
Anthem
Guru
Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, OnePlus Nord
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
We here at MR are scarcely “typical” ebook consumers, though. “Normal” customers buy books on the device they read on and don’t give a damn about format conversion.
So true. My wife has never once even uttered words that could be mistakenly construed as wanting to convert a file to a more convenient format or anything of the sort. And I dare not say anything resembling the idea so that she doesn't get any funny ideas.
Anthem is offline   Reply With Quote