Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 09-14-2018, 10:04 AM   #16
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I think it's only fair to note that my outdoors consists of constant traffic noise; the incessant barking of a weird, hive-mind (but multi-bodied) dog that somehow manages to always be within twenty-five yards of me everywhere I might go, and the putrid stench of what we're assured is a harmless and utterly unavoidable—yet non-ordinance-violating (if city council's lawyers are to be believed, anyway)—byproduct of a local cheese-making facility whenever the wind shifts a few degrees.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 10:09 AM   #17
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
Waiting for bus as well as riding bus, waiting in parking lot for someone in either early morning or later afternoon. Also in backyard getting my vitamin D.

I add classical music when sitting in my reading chair. My Mom's tv is distracting despite being on another floor. I make sure the playlist doesn't have my favorite pieces playing, because otherwise I stop reading to listen to them. It's either that or 'nature sounds'.

Last edited by Tarana; 09-14-2018 at 10:14 AM.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-14-2018, 10:48 AM   #18
Gardenman
Wizard
Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350,Nook HD+, Kindle 2nd gen, kindle keyboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenBarrington View Post
in direct sunlight? I'm just curious, but that is always a talking point, and something Amazon features in Kindle advertisements. The recent threads about using smartphones and tablets to read with has made me wonder if reading around a swimming pool is a major thing.

I personally hate reading outside in direct sunlight. But in a nice screened in shelter with a comfy chair and a drink with an umbrella in it, and some nice quiet music playing in the background, game on! I will read with whatever is handy.
Not outside for me. How can anyone read listening to music?
Gardenman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 10:53 AM   #19
dublincheri
Zealot
dublincheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dublincheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dublincheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dublincheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dublincheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dublincheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dublincheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dublincheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dublincheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dublincheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dublincheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, new Basic 2022
I do, every nice hot summer day. Which means basically never in Ireland but often in New England!
dublincheri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 11:02 AM   #20
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by dublincheri View Post
I do, every nice hot summer day. Which means basically never in Ireland but often in New England!
Well, there's "hot", and then there's "hot" . This summer we had several weeks of temperatures in the 30s, which was too hot for me personally to read outside. Low to mid 20s is what I find comfortable.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-14-2018, 12:01 PM   #21
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Tab A 10.1(2019), Pixel 6a.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I think it's only fair to note that my outdoors consists of constant traffic noise; the incessant barking of a weird, hive-mind (but multi-bodied) dog that somehow manages to always be within twenty-five yards of me everywhere I might go, and the putrid stench of what we're assured is a harmless and utterly unavoidable—yet non-ordinance-violating (if city council's lawyers are to be believed, anyway)—byproduct of a local cheese-making facility whenever the wind shifts a few degrees.
Sounds delightful! I'm pretty sure that dog has a twin.
GlenBarrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 12:03 PM   #22
Philippe D.
Addict
Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2o; reMarkable; Onyx Max 2 Pro
I do read outside: while waiting for the bus, while having a dring outside of a bar, or even while walking from point A to point B if not in a too crowded environment; occasionally, in my garden. I almost never do it in direct sunlight because I don't like too much sun; I try to at least be in the shade.

In bright daylight, reflections on my ereader's screen make it less comfortable than reading from paper - but then, reading on a classic screen in similar conditions would be way more uncomfortable.
Philippe D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 12:07 PM   #23
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
I also don't sit, much less read, in direct sunlight, but I like to read outside especially near the water. But:

No, just no. "Quiet music" is an oxymoron and always a distraction. I can read or I can listen; I can't do both. I hope if anyone else is in earshot you're wearing earbuds or headphones. Because being forced to listen to someone else's idea of background music is my idea of torture.
This! The only exception is for very quiet music that has no lyrics. But listening to any music that has lyrics, even if it is an instrumental version, means I play the lyrics in my head.

Having to hear loud music in 99% of stores is one reason I don't like to shop and we rarely go to restaurants because of the same issue.

As far as reading in the sun...I avoid the sun as much as I can. I like to read outside, but only in the shade when it's not over 75 degrees.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 12:59 PM   #24
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
When the weather is nice I like to read outside — doesn't happen a lot in Texas. But both times I traveled this year I read outside quite a bit — either on the porch or the balcony. I also read in the car when I'm waiting to pick up my wife or kids somewhere.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 01:42 PM   #25
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deskisamess View Post
This! The only exception is for very quiet music that has no lyrics. But listening to any music that has lyrics, even if it is an instrumental version, means I play the lyrics in my head.

Having to hear loud music in 99% of stores is one reason I don't like to shop and we rarely go to restaurants because of the same issue.

As far as reading in the sun...I avoid the sun as much as I can. I like to read outside, but only in the shade when it's not over 75 degrees.
At first I wondered why anybody wouldn't be able to read with music in the background - then it occurred to me that a lot of people don't listen to my kind of music (classical instrumental). I can absolutely understand that music with lyrics could be distracting.

I agree with you on the loud music in stores. Drives me nuts. Used to happen only in youth-oriented stores but has been spreading to other stores too. I actually buy less because I want to get out of the store.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 01:50 PM   #26
sunnysmiles
Addict
sunnysmiles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sunnysmiles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sunnysmiles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sunnysmiles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sunnysmiles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sunnysmiles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sunnysmiles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sunnysmiles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sunnysmiles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sunnysmiles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sunnysmiles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: I pad air, kindle pw2 and kindle touch , kindle had fire Nook pad nook
I read anywhere except in the bathroom. I always carry a reader with me .
sunnysmiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 02:02 PM   #27
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4691mls View Post
At first I wondered why anybody wouldn't be able to read with music in the background - then it occurred to me that a lot of people don't listen to my kind of music (classical instrumental). I can absolutely understand that music with lyrics could be distracting.
I'm afraid this is the issue in a nutshell. Because listening to classical music while reading isn't an issue for you, you assume it can't be an issue for anyone, or if it is, it's because they don't like classical music. Basically you're projecting your own tastes and preferences onto everyone else as reasonable.

In fact, I like classical music. But I don't want it on in the background while I'm reading, ever. I can't read and listen to music and thus the music is just a distraction. Moreover, there's something about electronic noise that gets on my nerves and I can't just tune it out; I almost never watch television and part of that is that I hate the noise a television makes. If I'm somewhere with a television, I try to find another room. Waiting rooms where the tv is on are horrible. I can handle being an active listener, when I'm choosing to listen, but I'm a very bad passive listener.

Yes, some ambient noises are worse than others. Give me chamber music over heavy metal with a loud bass every time. But the justification that's used to foist classical music on unwilling listeners is exactly the same as that of the heavy metal fan, i.e., that "my tastes are or should be universal." Or, more briefly, "I don't care." Just don't. And there's no excuse these days; every music lover who wants to muck up the public air space should be using bluetooth headphones and having a private listen instead.

Last edited by issybird; 09-14-2018 at 02:05 PM.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 02:07 PM   #28
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenBarrington View Post
Sounds delightful! I'm pretty sure that dog has a twin.
Of dogs there are many, but there is only one bark. It often follows me on my walk to work; moving from body to body, street to street. It passes through as many as 15 dogs during my 12 minute walk. Sometimes I believe the world is one big ice-pick-through-the-forehead dog-bark. Not that I think about it much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deskisamess View Post
Having to hear loud music in 99% of stores is one reason I don't like to shop
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4691mls View Post
I agree with you on the loud music in stores. Drives me nuts.
The only time loud music in stores bugs me is when it's the hokey, punch-line inspired garbage that passes for country music these days.
Old 09-14-2018, 02:16 PM   #29
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
I'm afraid this is the issue in a nutshell. Because listening to classical music while reading isn't an issue for you, you assume it can't be an issue for anyone, or if it is, it's because they don't like classical music. Basically you're projecting your own tastes and preferences onto everyone else as reasonable.

In fact, I like classical music. But I don't want it on in the background while I'm reading, ever. I can't read and listen to music and thus the music is just a distraction. Moreover, there's something about electronic noise that gets on my nerves and I can't just tune it out; I almost never watch television and part of that is that I hate the noise a television makes. If I'm somewhere with a television, I try to find another room. Waiting rooms where the tv is on are horrible. I can handle being an active listener, when I'm choosing to listen, but I'm a very bad passive listener.

Yes, some ambient noises are worse than others. Give me chamber music over heavy metal with a loud bass every time. But the justification that's used to foist classical music on unwilling listeners is exactly the same as that of the heavy metal fan, i.e., that "my tastes are or should be universal." Or, more briefly, "I don't care." Just don't. And there's no excuse these days; every music lover who wants to muck up the public air space should be using bluetooth headphones and having a private listen instead.
If you need peace & quiet to read then that's fine. I would not expect you to listen to my music. I listen to music when I am alone at home or in the car, or if I am with others who want to listen to the same music.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 02:20 PM   #30
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

I can't listen to music I don't like (actively or passively). And I can't NOT actively listen to music I do like. So music of any kind is right out whenever I read.