Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > KOReader

Notices

Old 07-15-2018, 01:12 AM   #16
roger64
Wizard
roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3 (wifi)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenzie View Post
Of course, when someone has time.

The EPUB support you see right now is almost accidental. MuPDF added some initial EPUB rendering and I added a way to play around with it that doesn't require editing any source files when I noticed how nicely it was already working. But as you can see the GUI for it assumes we're dealing with a PDF because we're in MuPDF.

The font size should be relatively simple. It's already there in base:

https://github.com/koreader/koreader....lua#L170-L175

But not five minutes simple, I don't think.
Hi

I just come back on this topic because we are still facing the -tiny- fixed font-size problem which prevents most people to use this interesting feature.

If I judge by this thread or this other one, Plato is able to use muPDF for ePubs. It's only for Kobos and the Remarkable tablet though and the installation is not for the faint of hearts.

I think that adding an alternative ePub reader like the muPDF renderer to Koreader would really be a big plus for all readers. Has any work been done about this since the February "almost accidental" introduction of this feature?

Last edited by roger64; 07-15-2018 at 01:15 AM.
roger64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 05:46 AM   #17
Frenzie
Wizard
Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
I don't think so. I haven't had time to look at it further myself and to my knowledge no one else has played around with it.

There are two main ways I see ahead of time, without having really looked into it:

1. Something in the MuPDF API, which is fairly legibly documented here: https://ghostscript.com/%7Erobin/mupdf_explored.pdf (also see my earlier message)
2. Something with CSS.
Frenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 06:27 AM   #18
roger64
Wizard
roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks for your reply and for the documentation (amazing!!!). For those who may feel overwhelmed by the volume of the documentation, ePub chapter has number 33, page 222 -or 210-).

Quote:
The layout follows simple CSS rules. On opening both EPUB and HTML do-
cuments CSS rules are read from a series of locations in defined order

The crengine renderer is average. Mainly it ignores some minor css properties (I had sent a bug report about them one or two years ago). No work on them has been done.

That's why, wherever I can, I convert the ePub to a custom PDF where typography is much better. muPDF is in charge of the display....

So now, my hopes are on muPDF, even for ePub rendering.

Last edited by roger64; 07-15-2018 at 07:02 AM.
Old 07-17-2018, 02:12 AM   #19
cramoisi
Librarian
cramoisi did not drink the Kool Aid.cramoisi did not drink the Kool Aid.cramoisi did not drink the Kool Aid.cramoisi did not drink the Kool Aid.cramoisi did not drink the Kool Aid.cramoisi did not drink the Kool Aid.cramoisi did not drink the Kool Aid.cramoisi did not drink the Kool Aid.cramoisi did not drink the Kool Aid.cramoisi did not drink the Kool Aid.cramoisi did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: kobo gloHD - KA1
Quote:
The crengine renderer is average. Mainly it ignores some minor css properties (I had sent a bug report about them one or two years ago). No work on them has been done.
A lot of work has been done about this recently (on the koreader's fork), you should check the improvements !

Last edited by cramoisi; 07-17-2018 at 02:16 AM.
cramoisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 06:38 AM   #20
roger64
Wizard

Thank you for this information. As I use a workaround for crengine, I did not follow up closely the latest improvements.

Still, many CSS bugs regarding crengine remain open this day, including the one I had reported on image display (Feb 2016) and also this one about CSS "weaknesses" (Oct 2017).

Last edited by roger64; 07-17-2018 at 06:42 AM.
Old 07-18-2018, 04:29 PM   #21
Frenzie
Wizard
Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
text-transform might be easy to do; I dropped @poire-z a note on GH.
Frenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 04:06 AM   #22
roger64
Wizard

Thank you.