Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 11-09-2017, 09:50 PM   #31
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by barryem View Post
Thanks for that video. Goodereader's reviews are often confused but they do pack in a lot of information, even though it's often obvious they don't really understand it all.

This one in particular was useful, giving a good look through the device. I really like the look of the interface. It's simpler than the Kindle/Nook/Kobo interfaces and more straightforward and with nice large text. If it ever gets an English dictionary I might find it tempting.

Barry
It's not much to go on, but given that it's called Nolim in France and Saga elsewhere and it was a Nolim they reviewed, I'm hoping that explains the French only dictionary. It is a cute, unique looking reader. Maybe if I see them going cheap on eBay I'd order one..

I'd hope the buttons are reversible in settings, even if it would make the labels on the buttons incorrect.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 10:56 PM   #32
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
I don't care much about the buttons as long as I can swipe to turn pages. I never used the button thingies on my Voyage.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 06:10 AM   #33
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
I don't care much about buttons and swiping, as long as I can tap to turn pages (with tap zone choices).
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 04:02 PM   #34
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
US only, but the new Nook has 300 dpi and 8 GB storage for $120.

I think everyone should be glad that there's still some vitality in the eink reader market. We all benefit in the long run.
Minor nit. The Nook Glowlight 3 has 8GB of total storage. The sad part is that only 0.95GB is available for sideloaded content. Or looking at my collection and calculating average size, less 400 ebooks. Admittedly I do have quite a few cooking/recipe ebooks and biographies such as 99: Stories of the Game which are much larger. If I wanted to place The Prophets of Smoked Meat, America—Farm to Table and 99: Stories of the Game on a Glowlight 3, that would leave 300MB for other books. BTW, these are not the 3 largest ebooks but rather 3 I have been reading recently.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 04:05 PM   #35
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
I guess. But then the Bookeen isn't exactly an option in the US, yet we still manage to get one if we want it bad enough
I know a few Canadians who purchased a Nook. Most ended up regretting the choice when they "enjoyed" B&N's treatment of them as enemy aliens. Does Bookeen offer the same treatment to their foreign purchasers?

Last edited by DNSB; 11-11-2017 at 04:07 PM.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 04:13 PM   #36
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
I know a few Canadians who purchased a Nook. Most ended up regretting the choice when they "enjoyed" B&N's treatment of them as enemy aliens. Does Bookeen offer the same treatment to their foreign purchasers?
Bookeen offer the same level of support to everyone: zero. (At least that was the case when I gave up on them due to the horrendous bugs in the Opus. Perhaps someone with more recent experience can comment on whether or not their support has improved.)

Last edited by HarryT; 11-11-2017 at 04:16 PM.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 08:29 PM   #37
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Bookeen offer the same level of support to everyone: zero. (At least that was the case when I gave up on them due to the horrendous bugs in the Opus.
Am I the only one that thinks of this guy when I hear Opus?

Old 11-11-2017, 09:18 PM   #38
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:

No.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 12:17 AM   #39
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:

I miss Opus.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 03:36 AM   #40
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
I miss Opus.
According to Harry, he's full of bugs.
Old 11-12-2017, 04:19 AM   #41
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Bookeen offer the same level of support to everyone: zero. (At least that was the case when I gave up on them due to the horrendous bugs in the Opus. Perhaps someone with more recent experience can comment on whether or not their support has improved.)
Nope. Always had good good support from bookeen. Starting with the Gen3. But I'm in France. Not sure about support from the US.

And yeah, I remember issues with the opus too. They changed the battery if I remember right.

Last edited by EowynCarter; 11-12-2017 at 04:21 AM.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 05:21 AM   #42
gingerbeardman
Zealot
gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various Sony Readers, Kobo Touch Edition, iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
BTW, these are not the 3 largest ebooks but rather 3 I have been reading recently.
Are these optimised? I recently optimised all my books, including PDFs, and saved hundreds of MBs.

Anyway, I'm down for a yellow SAGA. My favourite colour!
gingerbeardman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 05:42 AM   #43
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by EowynCarter View Post
And yeah, I remember issues with the opus too. They changed the battery if I remember right.
Nothing to do with the battery - it was the firmware that was the issue. The device would hang up at least once every half hour of reading, and lacked even the most basic features: no search, no bookmarking, no dictionary. There were endless promises of new firmware to fix the issues, but they never materialised. That's what caused me to abandon Bookeen.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 07:46 AM   #44
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Nothing to do with the battery - it was the firmware that was the issue. The device would hang up at least once every half hour of reading, and lacked even the most basic features: no search, no bookmarking, no dictionary. There were endless promises of new firmware to fix the issues, but they never materialised. That's what caused me to abandon Bookeen.
The battery change fixed that one on mine.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 10:26 AM   #45
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
According to Harry, he's full of bugs.
Probably fleas.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote