Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 08-21-2012, 08:20 AM   #1
ira.falzman
ira.falzman began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-950
Sony PRS-950 buttons flaky/quit now and then - do a hard reset first chance you have!

Hi, I just wanted to share my experience.
Maybe it would help someone like me. Anyway, here's the story.

I have a 17-month old Sony PRS-950. I have used a mess out of it; probably commercial level use/abuse. I don't even look at paper books now, and I read a LOT.

A few months ago buttons got a tiny bit flaky. 2 months ago they quit. Well, the touch screen works, I don't use periodicals (I got this model for its large screen), so I kept using it. Then buttons came alive again. A pleasant surprise. I though maybe humidity got inside; I didn't know any better and read in the bathtub once right before that. I did firmware update just in case. Didn't do much. Then buttons completely died again. I just kept on going. Numerous soft resets didn't do a thing. With non-working buttons you just can't do a hard reset, so I waited. Then the buttons got back to life.
At that point, I immediately did a hard reset, and the device has been working well , and I think it got a bit faster. I think, maybe over time, just like any computer, the reader accumulated garbage, and needed a good clean-up. While the firmware update didn't delete anything from user data, hard reset wiped it all out.

Now I think it's worth it to do a hard reset , say, once a year.
ira.falzman is offline   Reply With Quote