Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 01-06-2019, 06:28 PM   #76
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by murraypaul View Post
It depends on the consumer protection laws in your country.
In the UK, the rules for direct debits (automated withdrawal from main account) are very consumer-friendly.
It either has to be for a fixed amount every month, or the company has to inform you of the amount they plan to withdraw a certain number of days before the withdrawal. You can cancel the plan at any time, and if you dispute any payment your bank will credit you with the disputed amount immediately, then investigate the matter.
We do anything that can be done by direct debit that way, and have never had an incorrect withdrawal. Most companies/utilities offer a discount for direct debit.
Conversely in the UK it is a bad idea to sign up for any recurring payments on a credit card, as they are very hard to cancel if the company claims a payment.
Here, single payments: prefer credit card, recurring payments: prefer direct debit.
Same here. I pay virtually everything by Direct Debit - it’s by far the easiest way to pay bills.

I only have two bills that vary every month: my credit card and my mobile phone. The credit card company sends me a statement by email a few days before the payment is withdrawn, and the phone company sends me a text message.

The only bill I have to pay manually is my annual tax bill (I run my own business and hence, unlike most people, have to pay tax myself rather than my employer doing it for me!)
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 03:41 AM   #77
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Same here. I pay virtually everything by Direct Debit - it’s by far the easiest way to pay bills.

I only have two bills that vary every month: my credit card and my mobile phone. The credit card company sends me a statement by email a few days before the payment is withdrawn, and the phone company sends me a text message.

The only bill I have to pay manually is my annual tax bill (I run my own business and hence, unlike most people, have to pay tax myself rather than my employer doing it for me!)
My primary issue with direct debit is that once you give a company permission to withdraw money from your account, they can take whatever they wish, whenever they wish and it's very hard to withdraw permission. That's why I pay via my bank's bill pay. That way, I push the amount I want, when I want.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 04:24 AM   #78
Thasaidon
Hedge Wizard
Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Nook Simple
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
My primary issue with direct debit is that once you give a company permission to withdraw money from your account, they can take whatever they wish, whenever they wish and it's very hard to withdraw permission. That's why I pay via my bank's bill pay. That way, I push the amount I want, when I want.

You have very different laws to those in the UK then, as has been mentioned. In the UK the company concerned can only take what it has arranged with you to take. It must inform you several days before it takes each payment. If it takes more than it has stated, the bank must repay you and recover the money from the company. You also have the right to cancel the direct debit at any time even if it is the day before a payment.
Thasaidon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 04:48 AM   #79
stuartjmz
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thasaidon View Post
You have very different laws to those in the UK then, as has been mentioned. In the UK the company concerned can only take what it has arranged with you to take. It must inform you several days before it takes each payment. If it takes more than it has stated, the bank must repay you and recover the money from the company. You also have the right to cancel the direct debit at any time even if it is the day before a payment.
This is similar to the way direct debits are handled here in Aotearoa/NZ too. Any changes to direct debits have to be notified well in advance, in my experience, it's at least 5 business days.
Old 01-07-2019, 10:24 AM   #80
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post

I can pay all of my business taxes online by direct debit. IRS Payroll, Federal Unemployment Taxes and if my Corporation was a C Corp my company income tax. I can also pay all of my state taxes the same way. State Payroll, State Unemployment, Sales Tax and Corporate Income Taxes. I also file all forms online too.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 01:17 PM   #81
Fiat_Lux
Addict
Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
People who believe they can carry guns into foreign countries are either stupid or...……………….lets just go with stupid.
What is going to the Red Light Lane at customs, knowing that the sole reason for the weapons in your kit, is because you are part of a convert team whose mission is to overthrow the legitimate government of the country?

Naturally enough, Seychelles Customs was very pleased at stopping yet another coup d'état.
Fiat_Lux is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
flash drive